What to add to water!

Options
Rizzo_D
Rizzo_D Posts: 15 Member
I have been trying to drink more water, but it usually just happens when I exercise. Quite frankly I HATE the taste of water (you know that little girl in signs? it's a lot like that) so I was wondering what do you like to add to water to give it an extra boost? I do not want to use powdered drink additives or anything like that, mostly because the artificial sugar makes me really sick and it's just messy.
I am looking for fruits and things to naturally flavor the water. I've done lemon but that gets boring so any ideas would be welcome :D

Replies

• munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    what about green tea?
    or other citrus fruits -like oranges, tangerines, etc..
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like to add sliced oranges, limes, and lemons and let it sit in the fridge. Mighty tasty!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Make your own custom blend of tea and fruit slices, ginger, fruit peels, cayenne, cinnamon, herbs, flowers, etc. It's amazing what great combinations you will come up with. I've started making it in larger quantities because my family thinks is so yummy.
  • N6mqq
    N6mqq Posts: 5
    Options
    A wedge of cucumber or lemon/lime in water is great.

My favorite drink, although, isn't sugar free, but a lot better than diet soda. I make up a 1/2 gal of iced tea using a Lipton Iced Tea bag, one peach & ginger tea bag, one cinnamon stick and 1/4 C sugar. Use hot water when making the tea so the sugar dissolves and the flavors meld. I figured it out to about 22 calories per 8 oz glass.

You can also add a few rounds of fresh ginger, but only allow it to steep an hour or so, or it gets way too fruity to drink.
  • runningoncinshine
    runningoncinshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sliced cucumbers are the bomb!
    Also:
    Lemon slices
    Lime slices (especially the small mexican limes)
    Orange slices

Hope this helps!
    ~Cindy Lou
    www.facebook.com/abetteryou2012
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sun tea: Leave a jug of water in the sun with a couple tea bags..you can drink it like that or add sugar (in moderation) or honey, or for a low cal option: stevia.
    Add any kind of fruit...I personally love to add lemon wedges, but I've heard suggestions to add berries or even cucumbers.
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't like the powdered drink mixes because of sugar substitutes, but Crystal Light has new flavors called Pure Fitness that are sweetened with stevia. It adds a few calories, but not many at all.
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Cucumber?!? I went to an organic restaurant with some people from work a few weeks ago, and their water had a distinctive taste to it. It wasn't sweet, but it was really refreshing. I drank so much water that I had to get up three times during our afternoon meeting. I couldn't put my finger on that flavor. I'll bet it was cucumber - I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

A wedge of cucumber or lemon/lime in water is great.

My favorite drink, although, isn't sugar free, but a lot better than diet soda. I make up a 1/2 gal of iced tea using a Lipton Iced Tea bag, one peach & ginger tea bag, one cinnamon stick and 1/4 C sugar. Use hot water when making the tea so the sugar dissolves and the flavors meld. I figured it out to about 22 calories per 8 oz glass.

You can also add a few rounds of fresh ginger, but only allow it to steep an hour or so, or it gets way too fruity to drink.
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Most people don't, but I love unsweet tea. Lipton has some pretty awesome cold brew tea bags. I drink it pretty much daily.. although, I love water. It has to be filtered through my Brita water pitcher first. Water with lemon is good, but try adding sprigs of mint to it. That's pretty yummy. You can also add a little bit of juice.. it'll be like one of those Aquafina flavored waters. I would think cranberry juice would be really good. Ocean Spray has a really low calorie version. It's delicious. It's like 10 or 15 calories per glass.. If u only use maybe a 1/8-1/4 cup to flavor your water it would be pretty darn low call. :-)
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    really like unsweet tea too. I actually like plain water, but for variety use plain sparkling water, or add lime juice with or without stevia. cucumber sounds like a good idea, I will try that!
  • Parisgirl0408
    Parisgirl0408 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making a pumpkin juice drink?

You would have to make this ahead of time... Cut up some fresh pumpkin into pieces... boil in water for a few minutes. Strain it... and add some honey if u like, or just have it plain. (some people add a little bit of cinnamon sticks for flavor)

I like mine refrigerated. Its really refreshing... and way less calories then any soda or fruit drink. Pretty healthy too.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Small hunk of (fresh/raw) ginger. Yummy!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love mine plain......but will occasionally add a squirt or 2 of Mio:-)
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like Cucumber and a little bit of Cayenne for a kick!! Sounds scary but it works, and isn't chilli supposed to help you lose weight too?
  • thrillyjean
    Options
    Milo has the non powder flavor enhancer. I they are not bad tasting and have nothing in them really.
    I actually get seltzer water and add a few drops to have a fizzy drink. You just have to make sure to get sodium free.
  • rew1469
    rew1469 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MIO great flavors and being a former non-water drinker it is the best. Not to forget it has 0 cal, 0 carb and 0 sugars.
  • fancyfrenchwood
    Options
    Definitely cucumber!! I make a pitcher at a time cutting up a half of a cucumber and placing it in the pitcher and then refrigerated for at least an hour to let the water become infused with the flavor. It's so refreshing and tasty! Then to my individual glass I'll add a lime wedge for a little bit of citrus! Yummy...
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I agree with the MIO, I started to use it and it doesn't use artificial sugar and there is absolutely no nutritional value. They also have the energy MIO's that give you a boost. It's definately for the people who don't want anything artifical in their diet. Walmart also carries their own line of generic MIO's but they seem to have more flavors available.
  • Mio is amazing! Definitely great to add to water so save it from the bland tastelessness I usually think of when I drink it! I'd recommend it to anyone!
  • lauramjg87
    lauramjg87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fresh Mint and a squeeze of lemon juice.