Looking to make Banana bread?!?!

Options
Does anybody have a healthy yummy recipe for banana bread, or something with bananas that are turning too ripe? I loved banana bread in my "fat days", but I brushed butter and sugar on the top, and would eat the whole loaf!! Your suggestions and recipes would be loved!!!!! Thank you

Replies

• smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Make your favorite recipe but only eat a piece a day. I have a fabulous recipe, but it includes cream cheese, butter, and choc chips. I eat one slice a day for breakfast and my 350 Calories are savored.
    I have found some good recipes with applesauce and honey, although I haven't tried them.
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a great and very healthy recipe. I am out of town but will send it to you tomorrow afternoon, when I get home.
  • Jess11079
    Jess11079 Posts: 26
    Options
    go to

http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/search

search for banana bread.....couple hundred recipes and many of them are low fat low cal:smile:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do! Well, I did.

Crap. Can't find it.

Anyway, it involves Whole wheat (or at least white wheat) flour and coconut oil for one. I think it's egg free too. Dark chocolate chips. Pumpkin pie spice is in there, too.

Might try a traditional recipe and substituting. And, you can get by with little over half the amount coconut oil as butter Like if a recipe says 8 tbsp of butter, 5 coconut oil will usually cover it.,

I'll have to get back to this tomorrow with mine, if I can find it. I swear I write things down so I don't have to remember them and then I forget where I wrote it down.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Banana Bran Muffins . . . . if you go through some of the comments, there are ways to make these muffins about 100 cals each . . . I've tried this recipe with apple sauce and extra bananas, and they turned out soo good!!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banana-bran-muffins/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=banana bran muffins&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe
  • schmje05
    schmje05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Healthy banana bread

Ingredients
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
    3/4 cup honey
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 mashed overripe bananas

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Banana Pancakes

Ingredients
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tbsp white sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup skim milk
    1 egg or egg substitute
    2 tbsp applesauce
    2 bananas
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions
    Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, applesauce and bananas.
    Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.
    Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.

Vegan Banana Oatmeal Pancakes

Ingredients
    1 ¼ cup old fashioned oats
    ½ cup organic whole wheat flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    ½ tsp. sea salt
    1 ½ cups soymilk*
    2 ripe bananas
    *or a dairy-free milk

Directions
    Blend all the ingredients in a blender, except the bananas. Now add the bananas and continue to blend (in blender) until the bananas are smooth. Pour onto a hot griddle (with olive oil for a cooking spray) and cook. Once the pancake bubbles on one side, it’s time to flip it to the other. This makes a dozen, medium-sized pancakes, serving 4 people.
  • jess_kain
    jess_kain Posts: 15
    Options
    Recipes look amazing!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love bananas!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    Here is the recipe my mom passed down to me. I haven't worked out the calories but if you leave out the walnuts I don't think it would be too bad. It makes a delicious and moist loaf, which I have taken to many brunches and house warmings.

3/4 cup soft tofu (I like to use the banana dessert tofu myself)
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup mashed bananas
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 F.
    Blend tofu until smooth.
    Beat in sugar, bananas, oil & vanilla
    In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt
    Add wet ingredients to dry and beat together
    Fold in walnuts.
    Bake in a greased loaf pan for 1 hour.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Looking for the banana bread recipe I have... but I found the Banana Cookies!

Banana Drop Cookies

2 cups flour
    1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ cup butter or margarine
    1-cup sugar
    2 eggs
    ½ teaspoon vanilla
    2 medium bananas, mashed (1 cup)
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    Banana Butter Frosting

Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves. In a mixer bowl beat butter or margarine on medium speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add dry ingredients and banana alternately to beaten mixture and beat until well blended. Stir in walnuts.

Drop from a teaspoon 2 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until done immediately remove from cookie sheet, cool on wire rack. Frost with Banana Butter Frosting. Makes about 60.

Banana Butter Frosting: Beat together 2 cups powdered sugar, ¼ cup mashed banana, 2 tablespoons softened butter, and ½ teaspoon vanilla. If necessary beat in additional powdered sugar to make of spreading consistency.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm curious too.

So far, I've not really been able to find anything that bakes well with sugar substitutes, but I did replace the flour with whole wheat flour which helps a lot. Also, instead of the salt it usually uses, I used lite salt with no issues. I'm going to attempt raw stevia next time. Just have to play around with it and see if I can get the dough to rise the same way.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I throw mine in a freezer bag and toss them in the freezer for later use in smoothies and banana bread. Might be an option if you don't find a recipe you like soon enough. :flowerforyou:
  • wcshfflf
    wcshfflf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Something I like to do is actually melt down a banana (microwave one for around 5 minutes depending on size) and mix it with just a little vanilla yogurt I usually use the low fat kind and then spread it on one of the sweet flavored rice cakes. It's pretty yummy it tastes a lot like banana pudding to me and I don't have to use anything but a microwave.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We use the recipe from. Www.100daysofrealfood.com. It's yummy. We made ours with applesauce instead of yogurt.