Too Hot!!!!

Options
Every day is over 100 degrees. before the summer i used to work out 5 times a week, at least. now i cant even get up let alone go for a run or some other form of exercise. i dont have an AC so its too hot to work out indoors. the only thing ive been doing lately is going to the pool and that dosent burn too many calories.
What do i do??? its soooo hot!

Replies

• qtkt1
    qtkt1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Swim laps at the pool
  • JJBrennan143
    Options
    There's a walking DVD by Leslie Sansone, and you can walk up to 4 fast miles, in the comfort of your own home! I love it, and it's even better if you have good central air to keep you cool!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Do aerobics in the pool The water resistance is great exercise. Jumping jacks, lunges, jump rope (without the jump rope), jogging in place...try it!
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can do a workout or yoga DVD at home and then go to the pool and swim some laps and do some "water aerobics". I'm in Florida and it is terrible here as well. If you can handle it, yardwork in the early morning or late evening is also a good way to sneak in some exercise. Good luck.
  • tfreezin
    tfreezin Posts: 5
    Options
    Deep water running is an excellent work out and most pools have a lane dedicated to it. You feel like you're not getting an aggressive work out until you leave the pool and realize how depleated your legs are. It is also a fantastic way to get a low / zero impact work out for injury recovery.

You can also do an almost elyptical trainer / cross country ski motion instead of running in deep water to get a bit more upper body.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    go out earlier in the morning or later in the evening
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Do laps around a local mall- that must be air conditioned. There are always people walking at my mall :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    WOW....over a 100 without A/C. Yikes! I can't imagine that at all.:noway: We live by the beach so A/C units are rarely installed in the houses here. It's around 85-ish and I'm crying like a baby! :bigsmile:

Swimming is an excellent exercise for you to do! Sounds perfect!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I just recently started doing Bikram Yoga - or Hot Yoga. We do it in a room heated to 105-110 *! It's super hard.
    Anyway, prior to that I was training with my PT - mostly core/stability and some cardio... in my house. My workout zone is in the solarium and although it has its own cooling system, it would get up to 78-86* and I was whining then.
    Today was my first day back with my trainer, and it was 81* and I didn't even complain!

Oh and I was amazed at how many calories 20 minutes breaststroking can burn! I joined recreational swim as a "night" away from the house and taking care of my toddlers with my GF's and now it's turned into a serious workout for me!
  • Shaniani
    Shaniani Posts: 6
    Options
    There's a walking DVD by Leslie Sansone, and you can walk up to 4 fast miles, in the comfort of your own home! I love it, and it's even better if you have good central air to keep you cool!

I second this recommendation! She has so many different lengths and intensities of walks to choose from. We don't have AC in my house either, and I try to exercise early in the morning or in the evening after the sun sets.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Deep water running is an excellent work out and most pools have a lane dedicated to it. You feel like you're not getting an aggressive work out until you leave the pool and realize how depleated your legs are. It is also a fantastic way to get a low / zero impact work out for injury recovery.

And it is an 8 MET activity. What that means is that you are burning 8 times your BMR during the time you are doing it. If you want to figure the calories from that, multiply your weight in kilograms by 7 (8 METs minus the 1 MET you normally burn) to get Calories per hour. I think you'll be surprised at how many calories you actually burn. Oh, and FYI, you can't go by a HRM when working out in the water because just being in the water lowers your exercise heart rate.
  • blacrasberri
    blacrasberri Posts: 102
    Options
    Try Water Zumba :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: It's Zumba taking place in the water. You will burn double the calories in no time