Weigh in? and Cheat/Reward days?

Options
Hey just wondering how often everyone weigh's in?(once a week, Once a month ect.) And how often do you allow yourself to have a Cheat/Reward day?

Replies

• SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hey just wondering how often everyone weigh's in?(once a week, Once a month ect.) And how often do you allow yourself to have a Cheat/Reward day?

I've been weighing in once a week. Same scale, naked, in the morning after going to the bathroom.

I've only been doing this for three weeks, and twice a month we usually get Chinese food, which I didn't want to give up. I have only gone over my calories a few times, and usually come in around 200 under (net calories) the MFP recommendation. So it's more like a meal than a day for me, and it's basically just something I didn't want to give up in the first place.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day but only take any notice of what the number says once a week (Monday - in the hopes it helps to keep me on track over the weekend). I don't have cheat days, I just time my treats with days that I do a lot of exercise. I think if I did have a cheat day then I would struggle to go back to normal the next day.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am weighing in weekly on Sundays.

I try to plan rewards that are not related to food. I decided that I am not a dog so I don't need "treats" for doing a good job. I have rewarded myself with things like a new workout dvd, and a fitbit. I also reward myself by increasing the demand I place on my body. I do more!

I do not intentionally have cheat days... I am not on a diet, I am trying to change my lifestyle, attempting and so far succeeding in changing from a more sedentary life with fatter less healthy foods. I have not made any food off limits, I try to eat smaller amounts and am sure to count every bite I take in. I have had a couple of days in the last 3 months that I have definately overeaten but have counted it and said oh well I will do better later!

Good luck!
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    Weigh in on Thursday and cheat days is Sunday.
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i have to cheat once a week. i mean, eat whatever i want within reason. just a break from strict clean eating. its good for the body sometimes, it gets into habits and it just jumpstarts you to fluctuate calories. i still exersize on cheat days though. like toda,y my cheat day honestly was so brutal. the rest of the week im going to try to be an angel :S it happens. i waited to long to indulge and went overboard but i ALWAYS get back on track and always maintain. cuz if i be good the rest of the time, im aware that i can have slip ups and still be ok and have cheats and STILL be ok. getting to my goal will take longer but i WILL get there and with my sanity, and i wont slip back into old habits and quit. if we feel deprived we eventualyl quit and gain it all back
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new at this (only been on for 20 days) I don't do weigh in days (mostly because I don't own a scale yet :) but I have been doing cheat days because I fee like its best for my sanity. I've done 5 cheat days so far and I didn't plan them out, a few happened because family was in town and we ate out a bunch and the others happened because I felt like taking a break from logging everything would be good for my sanity. I felt so much better the day after taking a "cheat" day and I found something interesting: after just a few days of using mfp I was able to easily make healthy choices on my cheat days. I was able to practice portion control, choose healthier foods yet still enjoy what I was eating. I see this as a very good sign. After all, I don't want to have to log my food for the rest of my life and it is good to know that I am learning how to change my eating habits so quickly.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every week.

as far as cheat days - NOPE!! i allow myself to eat anything i want all the time. i do smaller portions, and make healthy choices in general, but if i really want some nachos, i eat em. i either work them into my caloric allowance, or i just work out that much harder. (usually!!!)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I weigh in once a week.

I will work it into my deficit but still try to eat as clean as possible. Don't think of it as a reward though.. " Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog." Rather find different things to reward yourself with ie a new outfit, hairstyle etc
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Thursday morning. I don't do cheat days, I just occasionally let myself have a special higher cal meal or snack maybe once a week and even then I try to stay below my goal. I guess birthdays and holidays are my days for that.

I just really hate the term cheat day for some reason. I don't wanna feel like I'm cheating or rewarding myself with food, I'm just trying to live life realistically. Sometimes we're gonna indulge a little. :)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I treat myself and weigh myself daily... I only log it once a week though
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only log it once a week. I have a cheat day once a week- usually Saturday.
  • 3Sarah333
    3Sarah333 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, Friday mornings. Same scale, naked, in the morning after going to the bathroom. I don't do any type of cheating :) I do reward myself with mini goals made...with things such as special candles or little things I've wanted but was to cheap to buy :) I started January 5th and have lost 23 pounds. I don't drink mountain dew anymore and track everything I eat, usually before I even eat it.
  • thuitema84
    thuitema84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I made it a point never to weigh myself because I know how hard on myself I can be if the numbers don't turn out as expected (despite how good I might be feeling at the time).

I've always gauged myself by how my clothes feel and how healthy I'm feeling. As soon as you're eating healthier, you really can feel when you're off track. It seems like it would be fair to weigh yourself once a week or once every two weeks. Anything more and you're not going to get an accurate read since its only natural for things to fluctuate a little. Also, your body will naturally go through plateaus while its adjusting to your new, lower weight...it actually can kick start things if you change up whatever routine you may have gotten used to by having what most people call a "cheat day". A healthier way to do this is to also change your exercise routine instead (ex. if you don't normally work out much, to amp it up a little)

Its better to do what the woman above does and allow yourself the same things you would have on a cheat day, just in moderation -- its all about making life changes and not just a passing diet where you're completely restricting yourself from foods you like, only saving them for cheat days.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I weigh myself daily.
    I cheat for 2-3 days in a row once a month. This way I won't get sick trying to get all the food that I want to eat into one day.
    This Tuesday and Wednesday are my cheat days actually :)
    Olive Garden, cupcakes, coffee, ice cream, and Chinese are on the menu.
    It will be glorious.
    Next will be Easter weekend.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    My boys & I have movie night on Fridays so I treat myself to a nice big brownie or something similar. However, I still try to keep everything within my limits. I weigh most days (naked in the morning like most everyone else) but only record once or twice a week. I have only gone over a few days since starting, and those were when I travel (need snacks to stay awake) and my birthday.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Weigh in daily, but only take a weekly recording on the scale (it will allow me to save it). Before breakfast & naked. Same time each day.

As for cheat/reward day.... don't have one. I'd feel guilty if I did that. I feel guilty if I don't workout hard enough or long enough, no way on earth I could do a cheat/reward day.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday. Because on the weekend when I want to eat really bad stuff, I think of how it will react on the scales on Monday. It's actually great motivation not to go off track on the weekends.

As for cheat days, nope. But I treat myself to a yummy cereal like 'Just Right' on Sunday mornings. I love love love cereal.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I go over my TDEE one or two days a week, however, I eat whatever I want in moderation throughout the week.

I weigh in when I feel like it, but to be honest scales mean nothing to me. I know my clothes are getting looser and I am fitting into smaller sizes now than before.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Weigh in daily, every morning after going to the bathroom on same scale because I want to know my weekly trends. It's easier to see what I did right with sudden dips and wrong with rises. But, I track my weekly eight loss figures so I know my weekly losses. I don't have cheat days, per se, I just exercise more on the days I want to eat more.
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day on Saturday (or friday if I get impatient) and I weigh in every Sunday.