Stop lying about nutritional info or supporting the lie

Options
While trying to log in a "Five guys cheeseburger and fries" I was once again reminded about how many people lie about the actual calories of the food they post and how often I find confirmations of these lies. Its bad enough that people don't take the time to research and post their foods accurately, but it is a real dis-service to the whole community when 4 or 5 or 10 people buy into the lie and confirm the nutritional value which is obviously B.S. Really people a bacon ,egg and cheese sandwich for 200 calories!? wake up! The whole idea of the confirmation system is to prove reliability of fact not wishful thinking. Lying to ourselves got us on this to begin with -stop sharing your self-deception with others. BTW most of the nutritional info posted for five guys is accurate and painful!

Replies

• csricci
    csricci Posts: 6
    Options
    My favorite so far has been fettucini alfredo 1 cup - 180 calories, seriously?! I wish! (and it wasn't tagged as some diet fat free version)

I think a lot of people may not realize that the info may not be accurate - it may be more about being unaware and trusting that the info is correct. I know for a long time I just looked up my food and put it in without ever looking to see what was listed for nutritional information - I was just focused on my total calories etc. Now I know when I put in chicken breast or tuna etc, there is a whole range of calories attributed to it by lots of different people so I have to pick the one that reflects something reasonably accurate rather than the one I wish it was....
  • jobelle217
    jobelle217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I thought I noticed some things didn't seem correct....too good to be true. That is disappointing
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you see something where the nutritional info is not right, fix it. Otherwise aren't you kind of "supporting the lie" too?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    These are probably the people who may be saying they measure everything then can't lose any weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Five Guys isn't even that good... I bet I could make a better tasting burger and fry for less calories. If you think something is too good to be true, look it up on google or the restaurant's website. Change MFP database entries when you discover they aren't correct and move on in life.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Some things have different calorie counts in different countries. Maybe you're stumbling on some of those ?
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I ALWAYS go to the website of the restaurant in another tab and compare to the MFP. Thank you for making others aware of this - I've made many corrections and saved to "My Food".

For raw foods, you want to check the USDA Nutrient Database or nutritiondata.self.com.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I also saw 8 oz of new York strip as 68 calories or something crazy like that on there. I've seen things too high too though, like 4 oz of plain chicken breast as 330 calories? Hmm
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    That is why I sit down and check everything. If I eat fast food.. I check the website or bring home the nutritional info from the item I ate. If I can't find anything for what I ate.. and it doesn't come with nutritional information.. I always pick the highest calorie, fat, and sodium amount I can find with something similar. I get annoyed when I know the info for my food and when I search for it I find that they only record the calories.. and not the sodium or fat or anything else that needs to be recorded.... or that it's off. As much as it's a pain in the butt to make sure everything is correct... it pays off in the long run!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    These are probably the people who may be saying they measure everything then can't lose any weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I try to go straight to the nutritional website of that particular restaurant myself to verify,
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've only seen times when people add more calories to a product than what's actually in it. I always wonder why people add almost 50 or so more calories to the serving than what's on the nutritional info, but I just correct it and go on about my day. It does seem counter-productive for someone to log the food as way less than what it actually is, though. Kind of a stupid way to make yourself feel better for consuming something of that nature.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My favorite so far has been fettucini alfredo 1 cup - 180 calories, seriously?! I wish! (and it wasn't tagged as some diet fat free version)

I think a lot of people may not realize that the info may not be accurate - it may be more about being unaware and trusting that the info is correct. I know for a long time I just looked up my food and put it in without ever looking to see what was listed for nutritional information - I was just focused on my total calories etc. Now I know when I put in chicken breast or tuna etc, there is a whole range of calories attributed to it by lots of different people so I have to pick the one that reflects something reasonably accurate rather than the one I wish it was....
    I noticed that a fav. Italian restaurant of ours (Avantis) posts just the calories of the pasta on the nutrition info. You have to add the sauce, cheese and meat to the total! That could be what's up witht the low cal. amt.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS go to the website of the restaurant in another tab and compare to the MFP. Thank you for making others aware of this - I've made many corrections and saved to "My Food".

For raw foods, you want to check the USDA Nutrient Database or nutritiondata.self.com.

Basically if an entry has an * beside it in the database, I check it out to verify it. Those ones are entered by users, and can be notoriously wrong.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Well if you have a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich at home, you can make a reduced calorie version. I make a homemade Egg Mc Muffin with a poached egg and 100 calorie English muffin. That's under 200 calories. Occasionally I add 1/2 slice of cheese, so it's a little more. If I added a 1/2 piece of bacon, it wouldn't get too crazy calorie-wise either.

I make smoothies that are very low calorie, but again I make them at home, and am not buying them in a smoothie place where I don't control the ingredients.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Really people a bacon ,egg and cheese sandwich for 200 calories!? wake up!

I'm going to go kind of off topic, but I regularly make a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel that is 200 calories.

Butterball "Everyday" - Turkey Bacon (Thin & Crispy), 2 slices (30 calories)
    Giant - Egg Substitutes, 1/4 cup (30 calories)
    America's Choice - Fat Free American Cheese Singles, 1 slice (30 calories)
    Thomas' - Bagel Thin Plain, 1 bagel (110 calories)

But yeah, you're right on spreading poor information. If something looks too good to be true I always double check or look for another entry. I never go back and correct the information though, I guess I should probably start.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying that some items are entered with ONLY the calorie count. No Protein, Carbs, Sugars or Sodium??? REALLY? Come on... ig you're going to add something to the MFP list pleeeeeese put in ALL the info. I've gotten to where I carry the pkd or box or label with me, until I can get to the computer & CHECK the Macros b4 I enter it to my MFP Diary. I WANT TO KNOW all the other stuff too, and if you fudge on what goes into your body (& the diary) then how can you tell what is orking or what isn't working? Yeah, imho, of course... :) J
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS go to the website of the restaurant in another tab and compare to the MFP.

This is me too. Or I try to use MFP version of foods (like Onion, Raw, Egg Whites Only etc...they usually have no * next to them).

One thing that was pointed out to me a while back, was since this site is international (USA, UK, Canada etc...) the nutritional facts can be different for different foods. Even popular cereals or restaurants. Just because each country has a different way of measuring them I guess (I've never been quite sure why)....but if someone don't label the food they enter as *Canada or *USA etc sometimes you can get conflicting nutritional facts.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm guilty. I never double check. I just accept it. I assume people don't lie.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    love themobile app to enter right from the bar code on the package. I too keep the packing until I can scan it with my phone. My hubby no longer rolls his eyes over this behavior, it's that normal now. BTW, Just when I thought DH wasn't supportive of my workouts, he just bought me an insulated water bottle "for the trail"! Awwww....sweet!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    love themobile app to enter right from the bar code on the package. I too keep the packing until I can scan it with my phone. My hubby no longer rolls his eyes over this behavior, it's that normal now. BTW, Just when I thought DH wasn't supportive of my workouts, he just bought me an insulated water bottle "for the trail"! Awwww....sweet!

That's adorable!