Extremely frustrated // need to vent

Options
I started eating healthy back in January to lose 30 lbs by June. MFP had me set at 1200 calories per day at that time. I had a sedentary lifestyle and did not work out. So I ate 1200, I lost 3 lbs. BUT THATS IT! Fast-forward to now, almost 3 months later. I am still at 176 (SW was 180). I don't know how to fix this!

Middle of February I realized I stopped losing weight so I upped my calories to 1450, still I have lost nothing.

I upped my calories again at the start of March to 1500, and started working out. I've been doing cardio for the last couple of weeks, 4x / week for 30 minutes each time. I still see no improvement. (Also to add, I do not eat back exercise cals)

Its so frustrating, to count my calories so carefully and see NOTHING.

Replies

• Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That must be fustrating!!

Are you watching your sodium intake as that will retain water / weight if you have too much.

Eating back some or all of your exercise calories could help with your weightloss. Else you will have an even larger calorie deficit than before.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Every time I workout I gain water weight, so you might be losing and not realize it.
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree that must be frustrating. How well are you eating? Maybe if you opened your diary so we could see the quality of the foods you are consuming.
  • jch73
    jch73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that you noticed you were no longer losing weight, so you upped your daily caloric intake from 1200 to 1450 and then to 1500?
    Im not a professional but increasing your daily caloric intake does not help you lose weight. Kudos to you for starting to work out in march, that should help, but maybe you should pay more attention to measurements and BMI instead of concentrating solely on weight. It might show the improvements that you have yet to realize.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would try eating back some of your calories. It should help. Also you might want to measure & or weigh your food intake just to make sure you are counting it right I know when I did WW people were amazed when shown what 6oz of something looks like vs what they thought it was
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    in addition to the other posts...whats your bmr? try setting that as your calorie goal and eat back your exercise calories.
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    try taking measurements, you may be toning and loosing inches rather than weight?
  • londanfudd4eva
    Options
    I know that can be frustrating i am a slow loser also. but i have found that taking my measurements lets me know that i am losing even when the scale says im not.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    Maybe I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that you noticed you were no longer losing weight, so you upped your daily caloric intake from 1200 to 1450 and then to 1500?
    Im not a professional but increasing your daily caloric intake does not help you lose weight. Kudos to you for starting to work out in march, that should help, but maybe you should pay more attention to measurements and BMI instead of concentrating solely on weight.
    actually, upping calories has worked for many, many people on here. just search the forums ;)
  • BakedBlonde
    BakedBlonde Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would try eating back some of your calories. It should help. Also you might want to measure & or weigh your food intake just to make sure you are counting it right I know when I did WW people were amazed when shown what 6oz of something looks like vs what they thought it was

I'm going to take measurements. I never thought I might be losing inches and not weight!
  • bellstalker
    bellstalker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started January with hope to lose by June as well. My weight is slowing coming off...never fast enough.
    I would suggest stressing less and doing a few different things.
    Exercise - walk, weights, stretches...mix it up but try to do something everyday.
    Aim to eat 1200 calories plus more if you exercise more...some days I eat 1500 calories, some days 1300 others 1200..again I mix it up.
    Good luck -- I feel your frustration!!!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food intake it is really hard to say what it is. What kind of exercise are you doing?
  • BakedBlonde
    Options
    Im not a professional but increasing your daily caloric intake does not help you lose weight. Kudos to you for starting to work out in march, that should help, but maybe you should pay more attention to measurements and BMI instead of concentrating solely on weight.
    actually, upping calories has worked for many, many people on here. just search the forums ;)

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather not starve myself because I know I won't be able to keep up with that and its unhealthy.
  • BakedBlonde
    Options
    Without seeing your food intake it is really hard to say what it is. What kind of exercise are you doing?

Since March 1st, I've been doing cardio 4x per week at 30 minutes each time.
  • debrastorr
    Options
    You need to understand that your body is very clever. You cut it's food intake, and after an initial period of weight loss, it readjusted to this new lower level. Exercise tends to increase metabolic rates so combining exercise and calorie reduction together means that your body doesn't reset it's need for food to the lower level. At least that is the very non technical theory. So, you need to take a deep breath. Be calm, and start to exercise whilst cutting calorie intake.
    And then keep that going at a moderate level.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather not starve myself because I know I won't be able to keep up with that and its unhealthy.
    thats exactly why i set my calorie goal as my bmr - it seemed crazy high considering i started out eating 1200... but now i net 1845, and gross as much as 2500 on cardio days. even slacking on exercise and going over my calorie goal every week in feb, i lost a pound a week.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here Called Eat More Weigh less. Check it out.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I haven't been stuck for as long as you but my scale has been in same place for a month or so.
    My pants are changing cause they are growing.
    Couple more sizes and the belt will need a new hole in it as well.
    Hope you figure out what works for you.
    Maybe like suggested try different foods.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat, particularly calorie dense food?
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    Are you drinking the 8 cups of water,a day????? You would be surprised how much the water intake helps,when it comes to weight loss.