Ever listen to music in secret :-?

Options
Age 12-15, i hid the fact that i listened to Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Morrissey, & Queen from my friends.

Ever listen a band or artist when no one knew you liked or even heard them?

Im totally transparent these days and confident in my musical pallette tho back when i was 13 and hanging around a bunch of punk rock/metal/rocker friends, i remember i felt like everyone would make fun of me, which they did eventually :D, tho the taboo feeling of listenig to music that could foreseeably outcast urself was exciting.
Maybe im just a weirdo tho :S

Replies

• Tanyawhite30
    Options
    You are deffinately NOT a weirdo....if you are...that means I am too :laugh: I totaly listen to some 80s and 90s music when I am alone!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Ahaha yeah totally. I listen to a lot of weird music that not a lot of people have heard of.
    But sometimes when I'm by myself I just like to rock out to the top 100 pop music thats on the radio.
    Makes me feel good :p
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Age 12-15, i hid the fact that i listened to Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Morrissey, & Queen from my friends.

Ever listen a band or artist when no one knew you liked or even heard them?

Im totally transparent these days and confident in my musical pallette tho back when i was 13 and hanging around a bunch of punk rock/metal/rocker friends, i remember i felt like everyone would make fun of me, which they did eventually :D, tho the taboo feeling of listenig to music that could foreseeably outcast urself was exciting.
    Maybe im just a weirdo tho :S

Why would you hide that you listened to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs?

I still listen to Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park and used to hide that I still liked the album post angst age, it's just a well produced pop album with guitars and it's catchy as ****
  • david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    I hid my love for YYY's cus i knew everyone i knew would rip me to shreds. And they did, awful names they figured out to call me, tho now still get ripped on for listening to them tho in articulate enough to defend myself :D

Oh and Hybrid Theory, same here dude, feel the exact same way. Sometimes stuff is just done right, even tho its super funny and embarassing. Kind of like "Pretty Hate Machine" by NIN.
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i listen to what i want, good music is good music. :)
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    Until very recently, I was so ashamed that I listened to (and loved) New Kids on the Block. Probably because I'm 22, and they're a 40 year old boy band.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm a metal girl, but I listen to Mariah Carey & Christina Aguilera in secret :embarassed:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nope never did that. My parents were strict on somethings like education but we could listen to whatever music we wanted to as teens. We didn't have curfews either but we were NOT stupid. Our dad shot first and asked questions second. So we knew to come home at a reasonable hour. Thankfully our mom was a night owl ;-) LOL
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Nah, you're not a wierdo.

I enjoy country music and, as you can imagine, in school it wasn't something that would score me any popularity points.
    Even in my own home my older brother would constantly let loose with the insults. He'd find my secret stash of country music and delete it to free up space on the computer (back when a 20GB HDD was actually the biggest you could get lol)

I don't care so much anymore about it now, but when I'm on the train I'm constantly 're-adjusting' my headphones to make sure people can't hear. I tell myself I shouldn't, but I just can't help it lol!
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever done that, at least that I remember. Life is too short to worry about what other people think about the music that makes me happy. :)
  • david581c
    david581c Posts: 337
    Options
    Totally agree
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    yeah I used listen to The Carpenters in secret. I still do (not in secret, now I don't care!)
  • BlackmetalCoffee79
    BlackmetalCoffee79 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I hid my love for YYY's cus i knew everyone i knew would rip me to shreds. And they did, awful names they figured out to call me, tho now still get ripped on for listening to them tho in articulate enough to defend myself :D

I think eventually you'll grow out of this, being that you're young, and find that music is music. People definitely have different tastes, and not everything i like, someone else is gonna like too or vise-versa. Heck, i love hard rock/metal bands, but i can just as easily throw on a jazz album by Charlie Parker or David Brubeck and enjoy the heck out of it. This may sound corny, but if a band or song gives off any type of emotion that keeps bringing you back to it, i say enjoy it and to hell with others. :smile:
  • nursedb
    nursedb Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ok I thought I was the only one who did this...I am 43 and absolutely love anything by Eminem or with him in it...love his older stuff, love his newer stuff...being a woman and a mom I would never admit this to my kids ...well my teenager thinks I'm kinda cool for it...but my husband wd flip! Great stuff to work out to!
  • babychickenwoods
    Options
    Nah. I listen to loads of music my friends wouldn't listen to if it was the last thing on Earth...In fact, I only listen to about 3 bands that my friends listen to and the rest is what I like. They think my love of Prince is crazy though. :')
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    nope
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ok I thought I was the only one who did this...I am 43 and absolutely love anything by Eminem or with him in it...love his older stuff, love his newer stuff...being a woman and a mom I would never admit this to my kids ...well my teenager thinks I'm kinda cool for it...but my husband wd flip! Great stuff to work out to!

This made me LOL!!!! Power to you, mama :):)
  • MrsMills712
    MrsMills712 Posts: 350
    Options
    Of course! My brother loves to make fun of me because I enjoy Phil Collins. I may be 26 but that doesn't keep his Hits album from being in my car certain days ;) In The Air Tonight... drum solo. Do I really need to say anything else?
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I would say that I enjoy listening to Atmosphere when I am by myself, but I am a Minnesota lady so it wouldn't be that out of the ordinary. If any thing about my music taste is embarrassing it is the fact that I like to make up songs in French though I don't know any French... at all. Only words I have picked up from films. :blushing:
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't dare tell anyone that I'm singing along to Adele's "Rolling in the Deep". I'd get kicked out of the club so fast my *kitten* would leave burn marks on the sidewalk as I bounced.