Best foods to eat

Options
Ok I'm just starting to look and compare calories. Just wondering if we can start a list of the best foods to eat.

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: whole wheat sandwich with lunchmeat plus carrots
Dinner: tuna salad. Soup

Other ideas for low cal items????

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The best foods to eat are ones that you enjoy eating and you can fit into your daily cals

/thread
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    prawns!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Foods you enjoy and that fit into your diet
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The best foods to eat are ones that you enjoy eating and you can fit into your daily cals

/thread

QFT
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

QFT
    [/quote]

I am so lame - I had to google QFT.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

/thread

This! Don't deprive yourself, it makes it that much harder to carry on longterm. Nothing should br off limits...its all in how you decide to work it out.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

/thread

Done. There is no need to reconfigure your entire diet to fit in best "diet foods." Just eat the food you like in smaller portions or lower calorie recipes.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I agree with the others, you have to find something that you enjoy.

Personally... I love minestrone soup.... yummy, super filling and low calorie. I just made like 8 L of it, freezes good so it fits into my crazy schedule.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

/thread

^This

One can truly eat whatever they want as long as doesn't exceed your daily caloric intake. Of course veggies should always be part of the equation. They are good for us and are low in calories.
  • Contrarian
    Options

QFT

I am so lame - I had to google QFT.
    You're not lame. I am, actually, for knowing what QFT is.
  • donnaferraiuolo
    donnaferraiuolo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Big salads...I love salads!!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great starting template to begin. When I started, I kept my choices more limited than I do now. If you don't crave a lot of variety, go with what you know works with you. Gradually, I'm converting some family favorites to cut fat, salt and calories. I am not bored with my plan here, and I think that's key for me.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My daughter told me about this vegetarian sandwich and I just love it. I take whole wheat bagel thins lightly toasted, spread hummus on half and real mayonnaise on the other half, add lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, sliced English cucumber, and top with alfalfa sprouts. I could eat this every day and not get tired of it. I suppose I could use ff mayo, but I don't spread it on thick, so I splurge a little.
  • Baileycaroline
    Baileycaroline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Up your vegies and fruit they are low calorie

Breakfast porridge blueberries banana and low fat greek yoghurt

Lunch lean chicken, fish, or some type of protein piece wholemeal pita bread with hummus and mixed salad

Dinner lean chicken,fish, or some type of protein large salad or cooked vegies and if you want potato, or some type of carb

Snacks fruit, low fat yog, trim latte,

I keep it really simple that way i can stay on track especially during the working week when it gets pretty manic
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Is porridge the British (or European) version of oatmeal? I've been curious about this for a long time.
  • bmcmforfun
    Options
    One of my favorites: whole wheat tortilla, spread red pepper hummus, shredded grilled chicken, grilled red, orange pepper slices, 2 grilled asparagus strips. Roll it up and eat it up! Enjoy!
  • Contrarian
    Options
    Is porridge the British (or European) version of oatmeal? I've been curious about this for a long time.

Yes, porridge is oatmeal.
  • bettyclv
    bettyclv Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have learned that whatever you chose to eat, make sure you are getting enough water and protein in this will help you fill up for sure. I say keep breakfast and lunch you lighter meals. That way dinner planning is easy and filling,and it leaves room for snack calories. I try to do no snacks at all and eat nothing after 9, so dinner is roughly around 7, since I dont go to bed until around 10, that way water can be my snack choice mainly. Tuna and lots of veggies and fruit fish, chicken breast, oatmeal is a plus winner and Special K. fruits have calories, but they are easy calories to burn....Mainly keep away from the fatty stuff, like mayo, dressings, stick with fat free....Usually things that say they are light, are pack with sugar which makes more calories..so always read your lables, It is a lot to do to stay healthy and have weight control. But the pay off is well worth it. And that is one big pay off I can hardly wait to get
  • Bettysbaby
    Bettysbaby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think eating what you like in smaller portions, with lower fat recipes and staying within your daily calories.
  • Baileycaroline
    Baileycaroline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes i would say so i live in new zealand so we would be doing the british thing, i get the really course oats and soak them in boiling water overnight tip off the water in the morning and add my other things yum! Sort of a low cal bircher muesli yum and very filling