on verge of quitting

Options

Replies

• yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    ONE meal at a time! Dont stress about the week or the day. ONE MEAL AT A TIME!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think it was the trainer Bob Green who said, don't try to change too much at once. Pick the nutrition (diet) or exercise and work on one first. Then add the other later. If you feel you are setting yourself up for failure by being overcommitted then give yourself room to maintain your current loss, and then choose a date when you feel you can start again. So, keep logging here, but decide whether you have it in you to lose, or to maintain. Quitting isn't in your list of options, however ; )

Anyway, being overwhelmed is no fun, and it sounds like you have a lot of obligations to take care of.

Just remember, your first obligation is yourself. So, that means taking great care of yourself. Try to remember the care part, and not just the diet and exercise, and all the stuff that makes it seem like a huge challenge. You might need more sleep, a cup of tea, a conversation with a friend, or just a hot bath.

Hang in there!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested getting some help with the festival. I agree. There must be some people near you who would be willing to lend you a hand in planning and executing some of the tasks.

It really is easy for everyone to say don't quit (and they're right) but you need to decide for yourself what's most important. Sounds like you could use some help in other areas too, as well, as the festival plans.

Can you lean on any family members or friends for support (moral or otherwise)? May be there are alternatives to help you pay for the mortgage, too?

I would first, sit down with a pad of paper and write down everything that is stressing you out, then brainstorm ideas on how to make each situation (one at a time) better. Sometimes seeing it on paper makes it easier to categorize and come up with a plan. Also, can you take maybe half a day and do something for you to re-energize yourself - maybe just enough inspiration to push yourself to get this stuff done, in the most efficient way, with a clear mind?

I know you'll be supported here, if/when you decide to stick with the weight loss program. Look at all the concerned people already. :flowerforyou:

~katie
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Hang in there! Like someone else said, none of us are any more special then you are. We just took it one day at a time and slowly but surely we moved forward. If you quite then you are off the path to success and sitting on the side watching us go past you. Stay on the path and move along with us! Some people move quicker than others and some of us are moving along at a nice pace and others are just barely moving but we are ALL on the same path struggling from time to time!
    This is no easy task. One of the best things I did for ME was resign from a few of my positions after seveal years of being in charge!
    It broke my heart to step down but here I am almost a year later and nearly 30 pounds lighter! The stress of being in charge of so many things was literally draining the life out of me! Step back and evaluate what it is you are doing and if it is worth it for you too. Sometimes we give so much that we forget to take care of ourselves first!

I stepped down as troop leader of 2 Girl Scout troops...nearly 40 little girls that I had to walk away from and I knew "helping" with the troop would not solve the problem I HAD to walk away for an entire year and I do miss the girls but it was very worth it for me and my family. It helped me learn how and when to say yes or no to planning activities and volunteering in general. It had to be done and I feel so much better now!
    Consider asking for help if you can or passing the responsiblity all together for a little while! You will be glad you did!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about changing everything at once.
    You've got a lot going on in your life... take a moment to breathe

And remember you don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better.

When you completely change your whole life at once, you revert to the familiar in times of stress.
    And who doesn't have stress? Having tools to cope with stress is what's important.

For me that was small incremental changes, baby steps
    A couple of small changes at a time, then a few weeks later when they've become habit another couple of changes and so on and so on.

Here's how I started:

1) tracking for a couple of weeks before I worried about losing.
    (although seeing what I was eating I couldn't help but rein back a bit)

2) seeing where I could make small changes on things that weren't that important to me.
    (Don't even think of taking chocolate out of my diet!!!)
    --Reducing quantities where I won't notice it so much
    --Swapping out things instead of eliminating them.

3) Look at my diary and started adding foods that had positive healthy effects specifically for the health issue in my family.
    I found most of the things I "should" add were really yummy too! salmon, avocado, oatmeal, mango, red grapes....
    (Sort of think of food as medicine to deal with family history of various health issue oatmeal is good for heart health, mango and red grapes lower cholesterol, tumeric and cinnamon good for arthritis)

4) every couple of weeks I see where I can make another couple of small changes.
    If you completely revamp your diet, it's way easy to revert to old ways in times of stress.
    If you make a series of small changes, food still offers you some sense of comfort.
    sort of a comfort continuum, and after a while the first small changes will seem comforting in themselves.

5) also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and...
    I gave myself a range:
    ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 cal,
    TARGET: lose 1 lb/wk as my target (once that went down to 1200 cal I switched to lose 1/2 lb a week
    HIGH END: maintain my goal weight

As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

SAFETY VALVE: As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE 1 POUND TO LOSE, THE NEXT 1!
    Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occasional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occasional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

Good Luck
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    at one point in my life now 16 years ago, i weighed 199 lbs. not sure what that is in kilos but my point is today I ran my first 5K race. You too can do anything you put your mind and heart to. Don't quit on yourself!
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    also stop calling this journey a diet...diets are destined to fail. call this a new lifestyle of eating right and good clean foods only.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would love to try to help you with what you're eating. I bet you're not eating enough protein or fiber! You can tailor your food intake goals to meet your own personal needs, not just what MFP says they should be.

I really would love to help you, befriend me and open that diary, woman!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Monti_e_lmt
    Monti_e_lmt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am feeling really down at the mo. Stressed with work and home and on top of that I am organising a festival and I feel completely lost. I really need time out but because I am paying the mortgage on my own and I'm self employed , I literally can't afford it. It feels like everyone wants a piece of me, but that no one really cares about me.
    On top of that I'm failing and flailing with my diet! I've been trying really hard but the weight is barely shifting. I literally have no energy when I get home from work, so exercise seems like a mountain. So it all feels pointless. Plus I have to try and look after the house too.
    So i have nothing left in me to keep trying with the diet, even though I feel so utterly disgustingly fat.
    I don't know what to do

went through a time like this and gave in and gained 30lbs, DON'T SLIP you will regret it. I know you are miserable, but did you know that there are foods that improve your mood. Dr Oz has awesome tips about that :) I am so sorry that you are going through a rough time. I hope it calms down soon. I developed an ulcer bc of my stressful times. Trust me I wish I could go back in time when I was 30 lbs lighter and lose the weight then instead of letting myself go and adding 30 lbs to my already 40lb goal, now I have to lose 70! It happened fast. And it did not help my stress. At the time I felt like everything was out of my hands, I had no hold on my life and I felt deprived so I used food to comfort myself but it only made things worse. Please don't give up. People do care, I care and I don't even know you. The one thing you have control over is your mind. You can take a bad situation and decide not to let it take you down. You can do it honey, just tell yourself you can. Don't give up, those stresses will pass.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    dup sorry
  • HoneybearSue64
    Options
    Hi, dear one! You don't know me, but I could be you! I have a very stressful job working about 9 hours per day supervisory, but not allowed overtime, so I try to keep it down by clocking out on time and staying a few minutes longer. I have daily work, supervision, reports, monthly tasks, etc. No time for exercise...I eat out the wrong foods a lot of the week. When I hit the door at home, I just crash and so much is piling up and not getting done. This is when you really need to hang in there and force yourself to do the exericse. If it means getting up 15 min earlier - DO IT! It will decrease your stress level, help you think more clearly on the things you need to be mentally alert for and decision making. I am new to this program, but not to exercise and being overweight, and stress, stress, STRESS. If i exercise for even 10 minutes either in the morning or the evening, I end up sitting less and doing more around the house, or being more organized at work and on an even keel throughout the day. I know this works! I just can't explain how. It changes the endorphins or something! I am pullling for you. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't stop. You do not have to spend extra money on this site, just keep your diary, chart your food and exercise. Don't worry so much about losing weight, think about it as staying healthy and in shape, becoming fitter. The pounds will eventually take care of themselves. Give your self a break by not feeling guilty if you eat the wrong thing at one meal or another, but just keep doing the exercise for your own well-being and confidence. I may not lose any weight, as I am in the last third of my life and metabolism is slower, but I will continue to improve my health and confidence - and SO WILL YOU!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    also stop calling this journey a diet...diets are destined to fail. call this a new lifestyle of eating right and good clean foods only.

^^^Totally this! make the commitment to make this a way of life! I HATE when people ask me what "diet" I did to lose my weight! I didn't go on a diet I just BALANCED my diet according to my activities each day! I still eat totally awful unhealthy food (on ocassions) but for the most part I balance it out.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of good comments and insights from others, and like many of them, and you, I've had similar periods of extremely high stress in my life. At my ripe old age of 55, I handle it better now than I used to, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard to stay positive, keep motivated, and stay with a healthy diet when life seems to suck all the energy from you.

It sounds as if you haven't gained even with all the stress/challenges you're facing at the moment, so try thinking about that as a success, rather than slow/no weight loss as a failure. I've been stuck at the same weight for more than 2 months--frustrating, but at least I'm not gaining, so I know that my logging everything that goes in my mouth and trying to figure out what I'm stuck is part of what I'll experience the rest of my life.

Also, if you haven't been to a physician you may want to consider that. I had a couple of years of tiredness, low energy, slow but steady weight gain, etc., and just thought it was "life"--lot of stress during that time. During an annual physical my MD decided to test my TSH levels and found that I had hypothyroidism. Within a couple of months I could feel my energy slowly come back and I realized then little energy I had had for quite a long time. Now I can often tell when my TSH levels are off and my meds need adjusting because I inexplicably have no energy for anything other than dragging through my day.

Hang in there!
  • tigerlily1817
    Options
    Don't quit!!!! Everyone on here offers such great advise. I agree stress can make things so difficult. I try to do my workouts in the morning. This actually gives me an energy boost because my adrenaline gets going. Maybe you could get up early and workout then. Also, a few people mentioned organization. I think that organization is key. Back in the day when I was doing weight watchers I would plan and track my foods at the beginning of the day leaving additional room for an unexpected snack. I think that this kind of organization helped ease my day a bit because I had my food for the day, besides what I would be eating at home, tracked and packed with me so I didn't have to think about. I know it is tough when you have a lot going on but if you keep with it you will feel better than if you don't. Just remember, we should only expect to lose up to 2lbs per week at most. Some will lose more and some will lose less depending on our bodies and routines. I know it is tough right now but you should try and find time to fit in a workout. Poor your frustrations into your workout this can leaving you feeling much more relaxed. Good luck!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • giantsfaninvt
    giantsfaninvt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You say that no one cares about you (which is probably the negativity talking), but remember that the most important person that needs to care about you is YOU! Show yourself you care and don't give up.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think if you are talking about "quitting" you haven't quite got your head around the fact that losing weight is more about a permanent lifestyle change rather than a "diet" you go on only to go "off" (i.e. back to the ways that caused you to be in that situation in the first place). When you are thinking like that you will always gain the weight back.

My advice to anyone who is busy is to skip the exercise p;art and just focus on getting the food changes right. Go for a walk or a relaxing swim if you have some time but if you are busy trying to squeeze in gym visits etc are counterproductive anyway if your diet isn't right, diet is 80% of it.
    op;en your diary and let people critique it, look at other people's diary's, make small changes even if its just one a week. But you can't "give up".
    if you get your diet better you will probably find your energy levels start to go up and hten you can introduce exercise again.
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's advice. DON'T GIVE UP!

I too have struggled. It has taken me a year to lose 28lbs!! Stress is a huge factor in not loosing weight for one. I go through it. Last year was horrible for me. The biggest thing for me was making small changes. As soon as I got used to one small change I would make another. I still do that to this day. I tried to do it all at once and crashed every time.

You need to focus on you. Taking time for yourself will also help your motivation. Even if you just sit and read a book for a few hours. It turns into other things eventually. Again small changes.

As for the housework. This is my advice. Tackle one room a night or morning. I had to learn how to do this when I was going to school full time, working full time and taking care of my family. Believe me my life sucked for awhile. But I lived through it.

Small changes may not get every thing done right now and you may not see immediate results but you WILL get results. So... NO QUITTING!! Just take it SLOW! And remember we are all here for you!
  • sparklehips
    Options
    My weight is coming off very slowly too but what I notice is that my clothes feel a little better and I feel better. I am wondering if you can check in with your doctor about your fatigue? I went through a time of having endless fatigue and found out that I was anemic. My suggestion to you is not to quit this. It does give you hope for better health and I think a lot of our being down on ourselves is when we ARE NOT trying. Good luck to you and I say STAY IN! :heart:
  • Jenilein
    Jenilein Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are struggling! I totally feel your pain! I've been at it for almost 8 weeks and have actually GAINED weight. It hurts to work so hard and not get any measurable (i.e. weight loss) validation for it. My friends stress that I must focus on how I FEEL and use that for motivation.

They may be on to something for us here! Keep on with the healthy changes and lifestyle, but don't track the weight just yet. I'm on an 8-week weight-loss program at my job and the weekly weigh-ins have seemed to only validate that I'm some sort of weight-gaining freak. Ah yes, the scale is inaccruate. Brilliant! I've wanted to throw that 40year old 5-ft tall analog doctors' scale through the window many times (...can I write that down as "strength training"????) My last weigh in is this Friday and after that, I'll continue logging food on MFP and keeping up my exercise and training programs, but I'm not weighing myself for a very long time.

When I get frustrated like this, a part of me even fears that my body is incapable of loosing weight (age, damaged metabolism, bad genes, falling out of favor with the "Skinny Chick" Goddesses, etc. ) and I may need to resort to bariatric surgery, but I'm going to give myself a year of hard work trying to loose the weight "naturally" like other "normal" people before I make that decision.

I hope that in a year...or even months from now...you and I can have a different story to tell and can share our motivation of finally being rewarded for our hard work! For that to happen you CAN'T QUIT! We aren't finished writing our stories yet!
  • Mar14me
    Mar14me Posts: 1
    Options
    All of these posts are great motivators! Go one day, one hour, the next 5 min if you need. Sometimes I actually have to walk out of the kitchen to keep from grazing. Go brush your teeth, pluck eyebrows,walk, do SOMETHING to distract yourself from eating junk Always go exercise! I work late as a nurse many nights, but know if I just get up and go, I'll feel better in every way than if I sleep. Keep it up. I have 4 kids and look good and its all due to exercise!!