Trader Joe's

Options

Replies

• starshine420
    Options
    EVERYTHING! I've never been unhappy with anything there! I love Trader Joe's and shop there all the time!
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Like someone said before, you should definitely go in and just walk in the aisles. You will see many delicious things. And some very interesting options. I really like the mochi ice cream. 100 cals each and satisfy the chocolate cravings.
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the hype, personally....... wasn't the least bit impressed.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Salad in a bag is pretty good there, that's the only produce I buy. And baby carrots if I am in a pinch. Frozen produce is good, fresh produce is generally a miss. But I have had pretty good luck with citrus.

I usually get dried fruits, nuts, olive oil, special vinegar flavors to make my own salad dressing (and specialty oils), The only prepared dressing I eat is the Trader Joes Balsamic Vinaigrette. Low in calories and very tasty. I buy frozen fish there too.
  • LessOfMePlease
    LessOfMePlease Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The roasted red pepper hummus is to die for - and I normally hate hummus.

The Chimchurri salmon is freaking amazing.

Several of their veggie stir frys are handy and not too expensive.

Their wines are great deals for most.

And we LOVE LOVE LOVE their frozen Asain selections (Trader Ming's) such as the char siu bao, pork/chicken shu mai, etc. and so forth. We have a night almost weekly where we get out our food steamer and just enjoy all the Asian deliciousness.

YOU WILL LOVE IT! Wish mine were less than 40 miles away from me. ::sobs:::
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not the best diet food....but they have peanut butter stuffed pretzel bites that are delish.......

My go to frozen veggies Is their hodge podge mix.....
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    On my last visit I got the Spicy Cocoa. It is really good. And a great really low calorie hot chocolate if you make it with unsweetened Almond Milk! The Trader Joes Brand Almond Milk is good as well, and very cheap.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's! My favorites are the frozen turkey meatballs, the blue cheese pecan dip (high calories, but soooooo good) and the garlic naan. The produce isn't the finest, but if all you're getting is a couple of things....whet the heck. It is convenient.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    trader joe's can be cheaper than regular grocery stores, but keep in mind that they get you with the prepared foods though. i think those , especially in the frozen section, are more expensive than they need to be.

also what i notice the one near me has been doing is they put the organic stuff out where it's easily found but you have to hunt for the non organic. i dont care about eating organic but i hate when i have to go out pf my way to avoid spending an extra $2 for strawberries. :grumble:

their produce is a nice price, but they dont have lots of variety. the only thing cheaper i've seen is farmer's markets.

my staples there are salad stuff, dressing (love the gorgonzola and pear vinaigrette. it's only 45 calories per serving. it's in the refrigerated section, not on the shelves with their other dressing), spices and olive oil, yogurt, eggs, frozen chicken parts, frozen fruit, almond milk, tuna, and designer whey protein powder. all those things are way cheaper than i've seen other places
  • newbs4
    newbs4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Their trail mixes are outta this world!
    Or you could peruse the trail mix section and buy a couple bags of nuts, dried fruits and seeds and mix your own. I prefer the pre-made ones though.

Their virgin coconut oil is awesome for cooking and baking PLUS it's mad cheap.

Skip the produce, I heard they keep it in the freezer and I have had (on 3 occasions) opened an apple or banana to see it had rotted in the middle. Ding-ding, we have a winner.

Their coffee is a great deal too - fair-trade and organic options for cheap. Grind in a Magic Bullet or their grinder in-store. I also love their vitamins and supplements which most people don't even know exist! So cheap!

I just love Trader Joe's. Been trying to work there for 2 years now :frown:

I work for Trader Joe's, I can assure you the produce isn't kept in the freezer!
  • captainlindarg
    Options
    Ahh, where to start!

- As others have mentioned, turkey frozen meatballs are great
    - Tons of great hummus. Mediterranean is my favorite.
    - Great prices on bagged greens/lettuce
    - Someone else mentioned trail mixes, and I agree. Favorites: Sweet, Savory, & Tart, Nuts About Raspberries & Chocolate, Tempting Trail Mix
    - They sell Fage greek yogurt at a good price. I love the stuff. Most people go for the 0%, but I like the 2%
    - I'm addicted to the frozen chicken tikka masala and frozen garlic naan. The tikka masala is 300 calories and a good quick easy meal.
    - The seaweed snacks are really popular and good. I like the wasabi ones.
    - This time of year, the pre-cooked corned beef is the bomb. Seriously, try it.
    - Wine selection is great. Ask a crew member for favorites, because they're always getting hustle buy wines that are only available for a short time.

I could probably go on, but there's just a few things :)
  • captainlindarg
    Options
    Not the best diet food....but they have peanut butter stuffed pretzel bites that are delish.......

My go to frozen veggies Is their hodge podge mix.....

Haha! I love those. They're not great diet food, but I've found they're better for me personally than other snacks for the same calories. The PB makes me feel fuller.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just check my diary, you will see all my trader joe's favorites. love the dried cranberries, the champagne pear dressing.

my kids love the hummus, all the kinds.

the veggie crisps

the coffee is a great price and very good. we get the dark trader joe's for only 4.99 for the can.

the frozen green beans are great, as well as the frozen peppers are quick and easy to add to chicken for quick fajitas or to eggs for breakfast.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I hear nothing but good things about the indian food, and I'm still on the 'eat anything you want, just keep it under x calories' diet. So not worried much if a food is diet or not.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I buy my vitamins from Trader Joes as well as their Very Green in pill form and the Super Red Powder drink. I just tried Ezekiel Bread (Sesame) and Pure Bars from TJ's this weekend and liked both. I have bought prepared lunch items, flowers, and assorted snack items from TJ's as well. They also have some non-gluten items that I bought for my wife (she has Celiac disease).
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Am so jealous of ALL of you.... we have no Trader Joes or whole food in my state... you are all SPOILED!! XO
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter w/ Roasted Flaxseeds. Word Up.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love their frozen food section. Also the two-buck chuck :) I dont go there often bc it's way on the other side of town for me, but this summer one is opening a couple miles from my house, im so excited!
  • tsarwood
    tsarwood Posts: 1
    Options
    The spicy black bean dip...I use it as a spread on sandwiches and quesadillas. Great source of protein and flavor without a bunch of fat :)