how do i start lifting free weights?

Options
llllnn
llllnn Posts: 18 Member
i'm signing up for a 1 month trial at gold's gym, and i know that free weights are more effective than machines. does anyone have any ideas for how i can make sure i'm lifting properly? i've read how-to articles galore but i don't want to go in there and get injured with improper form.

is my only option to get a trainer? because that's not quite an option for me at all

Replies

• jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Here's a good site...straight forward exercises...simple to follow:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

People also often suggest stronglifts 5x5 ... can google it.

Youtube is your friend. Great lifting videos there....will show you the perfect form to use for each lift.

Good luck!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    jjblogs - That's a wonderful site!! Thank you!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    1. Grab weight by handle.

2. Lift.

3. Put it down.

4. Repeat.

:)

All seriousness, go to a website like bodybuilding.com if you want to learn how to do certain exercises. Stronglifts is a good site, but its a for profit blog so you have to sift through some crap to get great information.
  • llllnn
    llllnn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you all! i guess the only thing to do is to learn online and then go do it at the gym -- just wish i had a free coach or something
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i'm signing up for a 1 month trial at gold's gym, and i know that free weights are more effective than machines. does anyone have any ideas for how i can make sure i'm lifting properly?
    Free weights are LESS effective than machines which is why they make machines. Nautilus and similar cam operated machines can provide you with a constant resistance throughout the full range of motion. There is no way you can accomplish that with free weights. Pneumatic machines allows you to control resistance on the fly which means you can do negatives unassisted (no spotter) which is impossible for symmetrical exercises with free weights. Etc. Etc.

The big advantage of free weights and about the only advantage is they offer more versatility than machines. You can do hundreds of different exercises with free weight but you need a different machine for every exercise (unless it's a combo machine).

You should use both machines and free weights for the advantages they offer.

If you want to see videos for proper form, go here --> http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and find the exercise of interest. Here's an example of a guy doing laterals --> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html

Lifting properly is important but how you map out your program is crucial to your success. The average gym membership is about three months and the reason is most people don't know how to train and lose interest for lack of results. Your body has no option but to follow your brain. So you MUST feed your brain a diet of good information if you want to be as successful as possible. Use a trainer to help you with your education if you want to but you'll be lucky if you can find a good one. Good trainers make about $200/hr. Beware the internet as it's full of bad information.

Create a list of achievable goals.
    Map out an effective plan to achieve those goals.
    Study the rudiments of anatomy, kinesiology, physiology, and nutrition.
    Read books before websites.
    Here's me personal "bible" for strength training --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Good luck and good health!!

• jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "Free weights are LESS effective than machines which is why they make machines."

This is not true, from my experience anyway. Free weights (barbells exercises especially) work the whole body. Machines provide isolation exercises. Squats/deadlifts/barbell rows/lunges, etc....you're working your whole core. Hence, even your abs are getting a great workout doing these exercises. Machines certainly have their place, but free weights are NOT less effective. I've noticed much more overall sculpting of my body using free weights versus isolation machines. But, then I'm no trainer...this has merely been my experience. Also....lift heavy!
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Free weights are LESS effective than machines which is why they make machines.

Yes, and no. Machines were made mostly to isolate certain muscles more effectively for body builders and for being able to lift heavier weights more safely. It also allows those not strong enough to do some exercises to hit the same muscles (ie. pull ups and lat pull down machine). However, machines restrict your body to a fixed plane of motion, which does not strengthen your stablizer muscles. Also, for certain exercises, machines can actually make you more prone to injury (ie. smith machine squats).

Now machines are not without use. Its easier to use a calf raise machine than throw a bunch of weight on your back and do calf raises. They're also less inimidating and easier for new lifters since you're pretty much stuck doing what the machine allows.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i'm signing up for a 1 month trial at gold's gym, and i know that free weights are more effective than machines. does anyone have any ideas for how i can make sure i'm lifting properly?
    Free weights are LESS effective than machines which is why they make machines. Nautilus and similar cam operated machines can provide you with a constant resistance throughout the full range of motion. There is no way you can accomplish that with free weights. Pneumatic machines allows you to control resistance on the fly which means you can do negatives unassisted (no spotter) which is impossible for symmetrical exercises with free weights. Etc. Etc.

The big advantage of free weights and about the only advantage is they offer more versatility than machines. You can do hundreds of different exercises with free weight but you need a different machine for every exercise (unless it's a combo machine).

You should use both machines and free weights for the advantages they offer.

If you want to see videos for proper form, go here --> http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and find the exercise of interest. Here's an example of a guy doing laterals --> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html

Lifting properly is important but how you map out your program is crucial to your success. The average gym membership is about three months and the reason is most people don't know how to train and lose interest for lack of results. Your body has no option but to follow your brain. So you MUST feed your brain a diet of good information if you want to be as successful as possible. Use a trainer to help you with your education if you want to but you'll be lucky if you can find a good one. Good trainers make about $200/hr. Beware the internet as it's full of bad information.

Create a list of achievable goals.
    Map out an effective plan to achieve those goals.
    Study the rudiments of anatomy, kinesiology, physiology, and nutrition.
    Read books before websites.
    Here's me personal "bible" for strength training --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Good luck and good health!!

Are you a troll? How can you say with any seriousness that machines are superior to free weights?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ohh there's lots of things you can do. I don't know the names of all of these moves though LOL. you could probably google it and find a website with all the different moves you can do.

My dad used to have a set of heavy weights and I was so excited i was going to go see if I could borrow them but then I realized he sold them like a year ago :( I only have 3, 5 and 8 pound weights which... aren't very helpful.
  • clickmaster
    Options
    "Free weights are LESS effective than machines which is why they make machines."
    Perhaps you and thefuzz129 missed this.

"You should use both machines and free weights for the advantages they offer."

I think we can all agree on that.

I'm just going to take my 40 years of training from the original Gold's in Venice along side Arnold and Franco to Bob Zuver's Orange County BB mecca in Costa Mesa to my numerous phone conversations with Ellington Darden in FL about his books and on and on and mosey on out of this thread. I never cease to be amazed at the dogma in bodybuilding...or the extent to which I like to drop names. :)

Thank you both for your comments. Peace.

• thefuzz1290
    Options
    Perhaps you and thefuzz129 missed this.

"You should use both machines and free weights for the advantages they offer."

I think we can all agree on that.

I'm just going to take my 40 years of training from the original Gold's in Venice along side Arnold and Franco to Bob Zuver's Orange County BB mecca in Costa Mesa to my numerous phone conversations with Ellington Darden in FL about his books and on and on and mosey on out of this thread. I never cease to be amazed at the dogma in bodybuilding...or the extent to which I like to drop names. :)

Thank you both for your comments. Peace.

Then you should know that Arnold and Franco built their physics with heavy free weight squats, deadlifts, and presses....they weren't built, but refined, on machines. For a beginner, any trainer worth their salt would tell them the most effective way to start is with free weight squats, deadlifts, and presses. But then again, I didn't totally disagree with you.
  • clickmaster
    Options
    Then you should know that Arnold and Franco built their physics with heavy free weight squats, deadlifts, and presses....they weren't built, but refined, on machines.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my BS in physics...which is why I know how to spell it. Arnold and Franco built their physiques with free weights and "juice".

Keep slingin' that iron, bro.

• thefuzz1290
    Options
    Of course they used steroids, it was legal back then too. But steroids aren't magic, you can't stick a needle in your butt and get instantly muscular. Arnold and Franco were both power lifters before body building, as was Ronnie Coleman and many other body builders.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    OP (to get this back on track) there are several good programs. I recommend starting strength (startingstrength.com has the info there along with excellent videos and articles), stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting For Women. I read NROLFW and it has a lot of good info but the program just felt too complicated for me. I do compound lifts (deadlift, bench, squat, lat pulldown, rows, overhead press) 3x5-8 and lift heavy. By lift heavy I mean that the last couple are difficult to do (if I can do them easily, I move up in weight the next time).
  • sar04tamu
    sar04tamu Posts: 27
    Options
    Almost every gym gives you a free introductory session with a trainer. They can show you how to do some basic exercises and help you set up a schedule. And find a friendly looking person who has a body you admire and ask them for advice.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    i'm signing up for a 1 month trial at gold's gym, and i know that free weights are more effective than machines. does anyone have any ideas for how i can make sure i'm lifting properly? i've read how-to articles galore but i don't want to go in there and get injured with improper form.

is my only option to get a trainer? because that's not quite an option for me at all

I would recommend one of two routes. If you are looking for general strength training then I would recommend picking up a copy of "New Rules for Lifting for Women." It is a great basic primer including a clear program, nutrient and examples.

If you focus is pure strength then I would suggest picking up "Starting Strength Training" by Mark Rippttoe.

Either I would highly recommend getting the "Starting Strength" DVD has it help you develop proper form on the basic lifts (squat, dead-lift, press, bench press and power cleans).

I would avoid getting a personal trainer right off the bat because you want to educate yourself first before seeking help. Particularly if you are a Golds Gym which traditional has a focus on body building.

Avoid machines unless you have a physical disability that requires them. Any trainer or program that does not include the squat or dead-lift is not a program worth following.

Take it slow and build progressively. Ask a lot of questions but always filter it through what you have learned from the books above.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Free weights are LESS effective than machines which is why they make machines. Nautilus and similar cam operated machines can provide you with a constant resistance throughout the full range of motion. There is no way you can accomplish that with free weights. Pneumatic machines allows you to control resistance on the fly which means you can do negatives unassisted (no spotter) which is impossible for symmetrical exercises with free weights. Etc. Etc...

You are completely right about the physics but absolutely wrong about the value of machines over free weights. Yes, machines do provide a constant level of resistance but they do this while restricting the path on a linear, determine path that both negates the work of stabilizing muscles and attempts to isolate a single muscle group. Free weights on the other hand, particular compound large muscle exercises like the squat, dead-lift, bench press, etc. is that work numerous muscle groups at once and all, particularly as the weights increase, require stabilizing support muscles to work. As a result compound, large muscle group exercise help to develop functional strength that translates directly to athletic performance as well as daily activities. Machines simply do not that do that.

That said, any program with progressive resistance will get results if a person is determined enough. Even bad or broken programs will work if you someone is pigheaded enough to push through.

As for machines, they have their uses but let's be clear, the only reason they are in ever gym across the country is not because they are superior to free weights or TRX, or whatever. The simple fact it is all about the McDonaldization of the fitness industry. If we roll our Way Back Machines to the 70's, a corporate gym could install a fleet of machines and hire kids with a high school degree rather than have to have actual trainers, etc. It's all about profit. The goal is to sucker as many people into signing up with a little attention or maintenance as possible.

I am glade that the current trend seems to have turned. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years most of these gyms are gone or forced to change.