peanut butter - what kind is best?

Options

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Any kind that has peanuts as the only ingredient is bound to be good. Some brands have things like sugar and shortening in them. Yuck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Any kind that has peanuts as the only ingredient is bound to be good. Some brands have things like sugar and shortening in them. Yuck!

you can also make your own nut butter. It's not hard. Take your favorite nut, throw it in a food processor, and slowly add an oil (I recommend coconut oil or macadamia nut oil). Takes 5 mins.
    I just found a chocolate flavored coconut oil that I'm thinking I might attack some walnuts with...
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    PB2! its powdered, bc they roast peanuts and press the oil out of them, so all that's left is the actual peanut part. You have to reconstitute it with water. It tastes pretty much the same just less oily!! I think regular pb is like 150 cal for a serving, PB2 is only 45! i love it.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like Jif natural peanut butter best. I think it's made with more peanuts, giving it a better flavor to me. Other than that, I'm not sure the real difference!
  • emmlovesyewx3
    Options
    jif natural creamy low sodium, i am addcited :))))
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm generally all for the natural approach. I've made my own almond butter before, and it was delicious. But, I won't lie, when it comes to peanut butter I am all about Jif. :) I have had the kind that is just peanuts and it's fine, but in this case I'm sticking to my old standby.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For me there is nothing like Jiff -- I allow for it and enjoy every bite on my toast or english muffin-- ( hi-fiber & whole grain ) a couple times a week :) yum !! This is my weekly treat :)
  • kfayjay
    kfayjay Posts: 7
    Options
    Krema Brand
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/recipes/peanut_butter.html

This site tells you how to make homemade peanutbutter !!!!

( I haven't tried making my own yet !! ) I buy Adams 100% all natural PB all it has in it is Peanuts!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter, but I don't eat a lot of it. Too high in fat and calories for too little volume...that would be for me, of course. I usually eat a small amount if I am having a "cheat" day or if my calorie bank allows. I use this recipe from Alton Brown:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-peanut-butter-recipe/index.html
    It's like totally easy to make and only takes a few minutes if you buy roasted peanuts to start.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter does have saturated fat but it's also got a lot of really good fats (mono and poly). You do have to limit how much you eat for the fact that it does have a lot of fat (good or bad, fat is fat), but it's still a great snack regardless - better to have something with a lot of good fats and a little bit of bad fats, than something that just has a lot of bad fats (like cakes and candy bars).

Personally, I like Smart Balance Peanut Butter. I basically love anything that's made by Smart Balance (buttery spreads, popcorn, etc.). They make healthier options that taste good.

I use Smart Balance too, LOVE IT!!!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I get Adam's 100% Natural. Just peanuts with a bit of salt... I believe they also have a "no salt added" variety, but I haven't seen it offered in my podunk town.
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    I absolutely *love* Better 'N Peanut butter!! 100 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I buy ADAMS 100% Natural peanut butter...eating it on special occasions. Brands such as Jiffy and other store brands usually take the peanut oil out and add a cheaper oil. Stick to brands that have as few number of ingredients as possible.

ADAMS is cheaper than other brands and works for me.
  • Silver_Eagle
    Options
    Since joining this site just under 2 weeks ago I have saw "peanut butter" mentioned so many times I cant count lol..... I Love it but assumed it was bad for me with the saturated fat in it, I normally buy sun pat peanut butter.

Question ... What is the best type to buy, is there a "good" make or are they all much the same?

The best to buy health wise is Smart Balance - All Natural Rich Roast Omega-3 Creamy Peanut Butter. I have tried others but always go back to it. :bigsmile:
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :D ....
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I buy a brand called Better n Peanut Butter- It is a natural pb with half the fat and such in it and it tastes just like pb to me-- So so good! You can buy it online but i get it at my local healthy life market.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    I use Peter Pan Whipped Creamy Peanut Butter with 1/3 Less Sugar and it's only 150 cal for 2tbsp (compared to the avg 180-190 cal for 2tbsp in most other peanut butter brands) and it tastes AWESOME! :)
  • blankenships6
    Options
    I would highly suggest that you look at the label. Stay away from anything that has a lot of ingredients in it. Peanut butter should be made from peanuts and maybe some salt but not all the other stuff. If there is anything that says partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated put it back on the shelf. That stuff is bad for you. We prefer organic peanut butter made simply from peanuts. There is some separation with the oil but it is so healthy and not an issue for us. Just stir it before using. Eat things as close to natural as you can.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest that you look at the label. Stay away from anything that has a lot of ingredients in it. Peanut butter should be made from peanuts and maybe some salt but not all the other stuff. If there is anything that says partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated put it back on the shelf. That stuff is bad for you. We prefer organic peanut butter made simply from peanuts. There is some separation with the oil but it is so healthy and not an issue for us. Just stir it before using. Eat things as close to natural as you can.

+1

I like Teddie or TJ's smooth - 2 ingredients: Peanuts and salt! The way it should be :love: