To eat your earned calories or to NOT eat your earned calori

Options
I see that alot of people are striving to stay under their calories, i personally eat til i get as close as i can.... so with that said i DO eat my earned calories (calories i burn off after excercising) before i tried to stay way under and i was feeling hungrey, tired, etc, now that i eat close to it i feel like i have energy and i see that my body is responding well to weight lifting....

What are you guys thoughts out there????

Replies

• Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I used to eat about 200kcal below my goal even with a 250kcal deficit set. I actually didn't feel hungry to be honest and the results were pretty good. I think it depends on how many calories you are consuming anyway. My goal was 1620 I think, but was getting around 1400 a day. My maintenance goal was about 1870.

Even though I felt fine on 1400kcal, I knew I had to eat more so I tried harder each day and made it to my goal. I'm currently trying build muscle now though, so I've ditched the calorie deficit and stick to maintaining and maybe over eating a bit more on cardio and strength training days.

I don't suggest anyone go to low on calorie intake, you will most likely feel tired, won't see very good results and will most likely over eat on other days because you will be quite hungry.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I usually eat back my workout calories ...unless I am not hungry for them. Sometimes I will save them up to use later in the week towards my weekly (instead of daily) goal.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always eat my calories back. And if I'm not feeling particularly hungry, I'll just treat myself with some chocolate!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I see that alot of people are striving to stay under their calories, i personally eat til i get as close as i can.... so with that said i DO eat my earned calories (calories i burn off after excercising) before i tried to stay way under and i was feeling hungrey, tired, etc, now that i eat close to it i feel like i have energy and i see that my body is responding well to weight lifting....

You are very wise listening to your body before it gave up and just slowed down.

MFP, if you selected a weekly weight loss goal, already has a deficit of 250, 500, 750, or 1000 in your daily goal.
    If you exercise, to keep that same potentially safe goal, has you feed the workout.

Because deficit should come from daily non-exercise activity - the type that draws mainly from fat stores and doesn't need to be eaten back.
    Exercise must be fed if you want the body to get stronger, which is usually the reason for exercise.
    Exercise as a means of creating a deficit is not useful.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat my calories back, and im constantly under my caloric goal, by 400 or so, I suppose I should eat more... but I have been getting constant results...

I do have a cheat meal every Friday of anything I want, and snacks that night. But clean all other days of the week. Gives me something to look forward too, and is a great reward!
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat my calories back, and im constantly under my caloric goal, by 400 or so, I suppose I should eat more... but I have been getting constant results...

I do have a cheat meal every Friday of anything I want, and snacks that night. But clean all other days of the week. Gives me something to look forward too, and is a great reward!

That sounds more like your saving your calories for your weekly goal lol treating yourself on fridays :D so in essence you ARE eatting the total calories you need :tongue:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. If I'm famished and feeling weak, I'll eat them. If I'm doing okay, I don't.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I never eat my calories back. I'm usually stuffed after my usual daily intake. Think about it millions of people eat breakfast, lunch whenever , hit the gym after work then go home have dinner watch tv then go to bed. They are not sitting there on MFP freaking about "eating calories back" they don't even know what MFP is or what "eating calories back" mean.They live perfectly healthy lives. So I guess it depends on what your philosphy is. Some people on MFP seem to turn it into a religion and if they don't hit there last 200 calories or net a certain amount they might go to into diet purgatory or be carried away by a phoenix. So again depends on who you ask. If you can eat more feel fine and lose weight but most of all be healthy that's super but do what works for you.
  • nadiakim
    nadiakim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think its a good thing to eat back those calories. I just realized that I was eating way too little calories and not eating back my exercise calories and in essence plateaued myself for six weeks. Sucks to have that kind of set back. Now I have upped my calories and make sure to eat back my exercise ones. Crossing my fingers this helps me generate the loss I've been hoping for.
  • watboy
    Options
    Good luck!
    I think its a good thing to eat back those calories. I just realized that I was eating way too little calories and not eating back my exercise calories and in essence plateaued myself for six weeks. Sucks to have that kind of set back. Now I have upped my calories and make sure to eat back my exercise ones. Crossing my fingers this helps me generate the loss I've been hoping for.
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I try to only eat back half of my exercise calories but if I am extremely hungry then I will eat them all back and not feel bad. Like others, sometimes I save them for the wknd when I know that I am going out to eat etc. I am almost always under my calories and am rarely hungry. If I am, then I eat. I just try to be careful as to what I am putting in my mouth. I have been 'dieting' for 3mos and have only had one week where I have not lost weight, so for me it works. Know your body and do what works best for you.
  • watboy
    Options
    Yep
    I try to only eat back half of my exercise calories but if I am extremely hungry then I will eat them all back and not feel bad. Like others, sometimes I save them for the wknd when I know that I am going out to eat etc. I am almost always under my calories and am rarely hungry. If I am, then I eat. I just try to be careful as to what I am putting in my mouth. I have been 'dieting' for 3mos and have only had one week where I have not lost weight, so for me it works. Know your body and do what works best for you.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Exercise must be fed if you want the body to get stronger, which is usually the reason for exercise.

This is a great quote and bears repeating... so I will!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It was my missing link.

The biggest difference over any other time I tried to lose weight is that I used to cut calories too much. I learned that I should eat at least 1800 calories to lose... which was around 1350-1500 plus exercise calories. If I ate any less and my body decided to stage an all-out mutiny.

I just had to increase my calories on maintenance because I'm still losing while eating 2000+ calories a day (1730 + exercise calories).
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The thing I love about MFP is that it is designed to be as simple as possible to lose. When you set up your account and told MFP how much you wanted to lose per week and how active you are on a daily basis the system calculated your calorie deficit for you.

When you log exercise you will see a little note pop up at the bottom of your Food Journal that says "You have earned 12 million (or whatever) calories from exercise today" It then ADDS these calories to your daily goal! So, yes, I believe you should eat back your exercise calories.

Keep it simple, don't over think it. Eat if you're hungry. Make good choices in food. Log everything and you should be good. With that said, everyone's body is different so if after a few weeks you aren't seeing the results you hoped for, change something. But only change 1 thing at a time so you can see what triggers a change for you.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am only doing a short body weight routine and am not adding an extra calories on. I don't think I am doing enough to need them. I am eating 1600 calories per day. When I really get in the swing of things with my weight training....I will add some amount of exercise calories back.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emilystamp
    Options
    I agree with those who said they will give their body what it needs. If I am hungry I will absolutely eat, especially after a workout. I typically do tap into those calories, but always have some left over. I personally don't allow myself to really overthink or obsess over every single calorie I am eating, I just try to make sure I am eating right to keep my body fueled and keep everything in reason. My main focus is to lose a few pounds, tone up, and maintain my weight consistently...and of course most of all to have energy and feel good.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options

You are one smart girl!!! Your body needs those burned calories for weight lifting!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I usually ate half my calories back from exercise. I found if I didn't my weight loss either slowed down, or stopped. I have recently broken a plateau by eating them all back!