Best laptops?

Options

Replies

• Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm an IT Manager and I recommend the same thing anytime anyone asks me- Fujitsu. You'll get the most bang for your buck and they last forever. I also like Toshibas as far as a good computer for a good price. Thinkpads and Vaios are overpriced but they are solid little machines.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i've had this toshiba laptop since 2004 or 2005. hugely outdated by now and it's on its last legs, but i've dropped it, had it bang against things, taken it overseas, and it still works.... in that span of time, a friend of mine has been through 2-3 laptops (dunno the brand, but not toshiba) and she's much more careful than i am. i've had the most problems with acer and dell.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to get on amazon or someplace and read reviews on laptops in your price range. The model with the fewest complaints is the one you want, obviously. Every manufacturer has bad runs, so brand loyalty won't help you much here.

Also, to those complaining about poor performance, you need to go through and remove all the junk software that comes installed from the factory (PC makers get a kickback from the software devs to install this stuff). A lot of it runs all the time and hogs system resources which can make a nice PC feel like a boat anchor.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Macbook Air.

/thread
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    everyone has different stories about what's good and what's bad. I own 2. A 10 yr old Dell and a Asus that's a year old. I never had issues with the Dell. It runs fine to this day.
  • happiimilk
    happiimilk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Macbook Air.

/thread

Alienware
    /history
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use my Mac,
    all the rest of the family have the other type,
    my sons Dell died, replaced and now that's also dead - waist of money
    I know Mac are expensive but they last for years.
    My daughters samsung is about the best windows laptop we have had, it's good but it has had 3 chargers so far.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I was a regular PC buyer with the last three being a Toshiba and two HP. I like the monitors on Toshiba. HPs seem to hold up better than most PC based laptops (and the price is right for the features). But I bought a MacBook Air and I love, love, love it! It has by far surpassed any PC laptop I've ever owned. It is pricy, but light weight, on in a flash, and almost never crashes (blue screen).
  • Abbdul
    Abbdul Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    buy a windows 8 tablet whenever it comes in market , work both ways laptop and tablet
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I paid $699 for my refurbished Macbook air 11.6 inch ...best laptop I've owned thus far.
    nice buy omg
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well as much as I like Macs, I have tons of things that are not compatible with it and I need most. I have had other Dells that worked, just not my current one. I really don' have anything currently on list for definitely wanting in a laptop .
    Just run boot camp on the mac hell you can run windows on a mac wondering why you would ever want to. This was typed on a 2007 I-Mac that has never had a virus program on it never had spyware and I dont think it has ever been shut off expect during updates. It works like the day I bought it never had anything like it with PC crap
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    MAC all the way!!! Spendy- but worth every.single.penny.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    What brand is your laptop, if you don't mind me asking? HP by chance...? <.<

HA! I laughed at this because we bought an HP and it has been total crap.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    HP for me. :heart: I have had 2 Dells. :grumble: And a Toshiba. :indifferent:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I vote Dell. They have never failed me, even if the computer breaks, customer service was always good and had it up and running in a jiffy.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with my Toshiba. :smile:

This.

I've had two Toshibas in never had an issue with either of them.
  • prose58
    prose58 Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm a complete geek (been in the PC industry for 20+ years and between my hubby and I we currently have 10 computers, including 5 laptops, at home). I just did a bunch of research to help my mother-in-law buy a laptop over Christmas (she spent $750). What we found -- for a general use laptop, generally Dell and HP offer the best value (aka bang for the buck). They have very similar features -- the biggest differences were the way the screens looked, keyboard layout/feel, speaker sound quality/loudness. What we did was go to 3 different stores with good selections (Best Buy, Staples & Fry's in our area) and had her look at the screens, type on the keyboards, and listen to the speakers to make the final decision.

I fully admit I'm a Windows person, I like the extensive choice of add-ons, peripherals, and variety of business applications. That said, I do have an iPad I love, and think it's a great supplement for a computer. Unless you're willing to go refurbished, Mac laptops tend to not give you as much bang for the buck (let the Apple vs PC religious wars begin).

Other notes -- Toshibas & Acers are decent machines, in my personal experience, they aren't quite as durable as HPs/Dells. Sony's are gorgeous but you pay extra for that design, also -- they tend to be less durable.

IBMs are fantastic, especially if you're using the laptop for work. They are SUPER durable. I just replaced my work laptop (I'm a consultant), and bought an IBM because it offered a better work-focused feature set and there was a GREAT holiday deal (for reference, I wanted a laptop that was fully dual-monitor capable with docking station, supporteed bitlocker data encryption, could take at least 8 GB of RAM, had a 500MB+ HD that was fast, and could do higher end graphics processing). This setup is about double what you'd want to spend though -- only necessary if your work is really computer intensive :)) Consumer-focused IBMs tend to cost a little more than Dells/HPs.

Wow this is great information. I am going to be buying a lap top this week. Thank-you for sharing your knowledge. I am looking at an HP Pavilion.
  • rockandroll87
    Options
    toshiba sattelitte isa's around $500
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was a regular PC buyer with the last three being a Toshiba and two HP. I like the monitors on Toshiba. HPs seem to hold up better than most PC based laptops (and the price is right for the features). But I bought a MacBook Air and I love, love, love it! It has by far surpassed any PC laptop I've ever owned. It is pricy, but light weight, on in a flash, and almost never crashes (blue screen).

I would hope not, if you get a blue screen on a Mac, take a picture since they don't exist in OSX (they are windows only, and despite what most people think they are not a bad thing as they prevent bad things from happening)
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OK, how about we do this right. Instead of all the "X worked for me" stuff, what do yoy plan on using the laptop for?