Runny nose and running: yay or nay?

Options
quietHiker
quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
How does everyone feel about exercising as much when they're sick? When you're sick, your body is already pretty run down, and I feel like exercising will just make it harder to become not sick anymore.

But any exercise is good exercise...so would (for example) instead of running for 30 minutes, you walk and a brisk pace for 30 minutes.

:sick: To run/exercise with a runny nose....yay or nay?

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have read that if your resting heart rate is up then this indicates your body is fighting a significant infection and is already under stress - therefore you shouldnt train.

An easier way of putting this is 'do you feel like training?'
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    SNOT ROCKETS EVERYWHERE!
  • neonbear3
    neonbear3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you shouldn't do any harsh exercise if you're sick, but when I have just a runny nose (no fever or anything else) it helps to walk instead of just staying inside all day (plus you get some extra vitamin D too)

If you feel like it, I'd say go for a walk, but I don't know about running.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Options
    if i'm feeling low lethargic and low on energy I don't. If it's just a runny nose and I'm otherwise fine I would probably go ahead and do it.
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    20 minute walk. I tried to run with a runny nose (and chest congestion) and ended up with an asthma attack. Walking is low impact and better on your body while you are sick.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    If you just have a runny nose you should be ok. If the cold is lower, going to chest then be careful

I've had a small head coal and itchy throat this week and played a pickup soccer game last night, made me feel a lot better!
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been sick twice in a month since starting this new diet/workout program. It's killing me! The first time I workout sick and I lost my voice and had to miss work. This time I will take it easy and just stick to my diet.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Steve Pulcinella on training while 'under the weather.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Troo0o43AzQ&feature=player_embedded

Disclaimer: He says "f***" quite a few times.
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I read that if it's above the neck, work out, below the neck- rest. I've been following this all winter with great results. I actually advocate a HARD workout if you feel a sinus thing coming on. Every time I feel like I'm getting a head cold, I kick up the cardio and it has seemed to clear it right up. It's worked at least 5 times since October (I have 2 kids in daycare and work with the public so I am usually sick all winter long- except this year!)

Good luck.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I think for me it's a mental issue too....of knowing I normally exercise, but just can't seem to physically push myself as hard, but mentally want to push myself even harder. :frown: