Office/desk job...2:30-5pm MUNCH ATTACKS!

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave at work? Popcorn is a low cal munchie that isn't expensive. Or chop up some celery or carrot sticks and bring with a little peanut butter to snack on. Those are all usually pretty affordable.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I second carrots for a cheap filling snack, usually under $2 (check the change in your purse and car if you have to.) I always pack a snack for the afternoon so I don't go crazy and eat candy off someone's desk.

I also keep the bibs from my 5k races and tack them over my desk. When I think about cheating I look up at the bibs and remind myself how much easier it is to do a race when I eat healthy and a few less pounds would probable shave some time off my average mile.
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    Pickles, or portioned dry cereal
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    OH my goodness...I have an office/desk job, 8am-5pm, and I CANNOT seem to get ahold of my will power from 2:30-5pm with snacking on ANYTHING I can get my hands on.
    I'm very low on money right now, so I cannot afford to keep healthy snacks around to help with these muchie attacks.
    To make matters worse, I have a very sweet woman that I work with that keeps TONS of junk food at the office all the time and persistently offers anything she has to me.

During my cravings for...anything...I lose focus on the goal and munch away. Any tips on how to keep my "eye on the prize" or keep my motivation and boost my will power to tell myself "NO, I am OK, I do not NEED these mindless-munchie foods"?

The obvious tip is to tell myself that...but it just doesn't stop me. Any advice from boredom/mindless eaters that have had success and victory over this?

Thank you! xo <3

I'm dealing with those afternoon office munchies RIGHT NOW!
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Almonds!

170 calories of HIGH QUALITY calories in 1/4 cup. Great source of protein, and they tend to keep me satisfied for a couple hours if I drink a lot of water with them.

Just make sure to cut yourself off at 1 serving!
  • samalex01
    samalex01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This week I've started buying the unsalt pretzels and each day I bring a small bag of them to work. They tests okay, bland but filling, and I eat about 1/3 of the bag before lunch and the rest between 2pm to 5pm when the munchies kick in. Also since they don 't taste just spectacular and I just bring to work 2 services a day I won't and can't overindulge. Also I try to keep an apple, orange, or other fruit around for the afternoon. Someone else mentioned coffee, and I do that or tea as well in the afternoon. Helps to fill the belly.

Problem though is today I forgot my pretzels and heading to the store during lunch for other things I picked-up a box of White Cheddar Cheez-its which was a HUGE mistake. I've already eaten three services which is way more than I expected :-/ Will Power is something I'm still working on.
  • SarahxKant
    Options
    When i get cravings for chocolate i eat a chocolate chunk granola bar. I just get the great value ones from walmart and theyre only 90 calories. And usually that gets me past the craving. Then when i crave super sweet or sour candy i just eat either purple or green grapes. works everytime for me
  • missmikhail
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for your tips and advice!! I went to the store for groceries over the weekend and got a couple of things that you mentioned that I could squeeze into the budget- I really think this will help so much!

I did fantastic over the weekend (besides Sunday, my "off day) being under my calorie goal- it truely is easier when you've surrounded yourself with only healthy, appropriate options :) Now...its time I have to take a stand against the goodies in the office. I can do this!

Thank you all so much! I'll admit, I wasn't buying into the online "support" system with health/diet/fitness...but it is actually life changing to have so much support and advice at our fingertips!
  • Novikay
    Novikay Posts: 62
    Options
    I eat a late lunch everyday and it helps stop afternoon cravings. I try to eat between 1-3 =)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I second the Haberno BBQ almonds: they are spicy enough to make you go slow and flavorful enough to make you feel like you had a good treat.
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What do you actually have for lunch? How many calories do you aim for at lunch? Maybe you need to up your calories for your lunchtime meal which will see you through longer in the afternoon and not absolutley starving by 3pm.

Personally I have found upping my protein at lunchtime has really helped. I always thought carbs such as sandwiches etc. were the most filling things, but the sugar rush from carbs just makes me go into 'crash mode' and reaching for those snacks mid afternoon. So I upped my protein in salads by having chicken, cottage cheese and hard boiled egg in a salad, and I was left feeling absolutley STUFFED for the rest of the afternoon all last week having salads. I never thought I'd ever say salads are filling! But up those proteins and it will definitely help!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...spread your food out...eat every 2 hours and drink lots of water!
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    OH my goodness...I have an office/desk job, 8am-5pm, and I CANNOT seem to get ahold of my will power from 2:30-5pm with snacking on ANYTHING I can get my hands on.
    I'm very low on money right now, so I cannot afford to keep healthy snacks around to help with these muchie attacks.
    To make matters worse, I have a very sweet woman that I work with that keeps TONS of junk food at the office all the time and persistently offers anything she has to me.

During my cravings for...anything...I lose focus on the goal and munch away. Any tips on how to keep my "eye on the prize" or keep my motivation and boost my will power to tell myself "NO, I am OK, I do not NEED these mindless-munchie foods"?

The obvious tip is to tell myself that...but it just doesn't stop me. Any advice from boredom/mindless eaters that have had success and victory over this?

Thank you! xo <3

Healthy doesnt necessarily mean expensive. But also, consider drinking more water during the day, sometimes our bodies mistake hunger for thirst so we tend to over snack when really we should just be drinking. Hope this helps.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I normally have a snack at 3pm. I like the special K bars or the 100 calorie packs (veggies are good too). What I do normally is plan out my day and try to leave around 100-150 calories unaccounted for so I have some room to breath.
    As far as the temptation goes, I understand how that is! I work with a bunch of guys who eat out everyday and really don't pay attention to their diets, so it's hard. But a couple of suggestions if you are really having a difficult time.

Keep a motivational picture around. I have one in my room on my mirror of some actress in a bikini, she's probably 110lbs! Tiny thing, but I'd love to look like her. Maybe an old picture of yourself at the weight you were most happy with.
    Try to keep 0 or low calorie snacks on hand. I know you said you're on a budget but you can go to the dollar store and pick up sugar free gums and other candies that are low in calories.

Good luck!
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...spread your food out...eat every 2 hours and drink lots of water!

Great suggestion! Look into the "2 hour diet". I tried it once and really enjoyed it. You eat smaller meals every 2 hours. Maybe it will work for you!
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you can, try getting up and moving around a little. Sometimes a 5 minute walk does it for me. Otherwise, I'll make a tea (no added sweetener) and that usually takes care of it. IF that does not do it, I know I actually need to eat something. I usually have a small snack before I leave work so that I do not dive into the fridge/cupboards as soon as I get home and if the walk and/or tea does not work I'll just have it a little early.