P90X???

Options
I just saw an infomercial for P90X and I am intrigued. The success stories are pretty amazing. I am just wondering if anyone out there has tried it and had success. It looks pretty intense and I am a little concerned that I would not be able to handle it. I am an avid Zumba-er and I am working on trying to be a runner (I am four weeks into a 5k program). 55 lbs ago I could barely make it through one Zumba song without having to stop so i know I am made progress and I am much stronger then I was. I just want to make sure that if I invested in something this expensive, I would be able to finish it.

Thanks for the help!!! -Sara

Replies

• cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have p90X and it is really intense!!! I cant do it! It literally kills me! and my husband is thin and he has trouble sticking with it!! I think the hardest thing about it is that it is like an hour and a half!!!! And plus you need to go buy the pull up bar and weights! Now dont get me wrong i know ppl personally that have done it and love it and have seen serious results, so it does work!! But just be prepared to get your butt kicked and to spend a lot of time doing it!!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It would be dependent on how much you strength train now. If you are new to strength training or haven't really lifted much this will be a HUGE shock to your system. I recommend Jillian Michael's stuff or the Biggest Loser stuff. They are great, push you hard, but aren't super long, super insane workouts.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It is long, but I found it wasn't that bad... you get out what you put in, you do the best you can, proper form, don't try and keep up and just work your way up. There is a fair amount of equipment you might need, pull up bar, weights, chair, mat, etc. But it helped break through my plateau and I've just started week 2! Lol. I'm really enjoying it!
  • pinkmind
    pinkmind Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at day 18 of P90x. I haven't done any workout for the last 18 months. After the first few days I could barely walk or hold my daughter. but after that it just got easier. I'm still modifying a lot of move and can't do a pull up without a chair but it's getting easier every day. I lost 4 kg since starting and my body shape is a lot better. The problem with the program it's the length of everyday workout. You need to be motivated to press play everyday. If you decide to give it a go, I suggest to improve your chance to success , to join a group on Beachbody network. Every week people start a thread when they start the program and others join in and log their workout and progress. It's also very motivating to see lots of P90X success stories.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    actually the DVD are 60 min, except the Yoga which is 1.5. (I personally do not do yoga dvd)

There is also a 15 min ab routine you do three days a week. Many people just add it later in the days for convenience, but you can do it right after other DVDs also.

I have done P90x Classic and Doubles a number of times, and just completed P90X2.

No one can finish it all at first. :) Often you cannot even finish a DVD half way in the program - but that okay!

Pretty much modify modify modify, do what you can do, and keep pushing. Lift heavier weights, with lower reps, and push yourself every week. YOU WILL GET BETTER IF YOU KEEP TRYING EVERYDAY

Modify push ups on knees or counter, until you can do them.
    Modify pull ups with a chair (or my favorite the resistance bands are great)
    Take breaks when you need to - its fine

It is challenging, but that's the point. For dramatic changes, in 90 days, it needs to be challenging.

If you stick with it for 90 days, do the best you can , pushing yourself, and watching diet - but getting enough calories and protein - you will see changes.

I have lost 60 lbs total with P90X, but even better I have lost inches and clothing size. Scale weight is not going to be your best progress indicator, for many reasons. So don't only use that.

Always do inch measurements at the beginning and every 30 days, as the scale may not show a loss, but inches will - and that's really what matters.

I suggest an in door pull up bar, and picking up a few lower weight dumbbells to get started. I personally find they work much better then resistance bands.

I suggest you order online through the Beachbody website - they have a 90 day return policy on the program.

It will change your body if you are willing to work it. :)

If you think it may be more then you can handle now - I suggest you start with Power 90, which is the "beginner" P90x, and will get you ready for P90x. (same trainer, so you can see if you like Tony s style)
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've done 60 days of P90X in the past and I had awesome results! I'm doing it again now, just started week 3 yesterday. The first time I started it, I had never lifted weights in my life, so beginners CAN do this workout! You just have to start with light weights ( I started with 5 and 8 pound ones), and modify every move you can, and DO NOT try to keep up! This is not a competition between you and Tony ;) lol. Always remember to listen to YOUR BODY not whatever they're doing on the TV. The thing that's helping me the most this time around is knowing that it's a DVD, it can be paused or even stopped if your body is telling you no. Even after 60 days I still couldn't do a pull up, this time around I'm doing "reverse" pull ups and hope that will help me to at least do one by the end of the program haha. So modify, start with light weights, and listen to your body! Anybody can do it, they just have to WANT too!
  • tangal88
    Options
    took me over a year of doing P90x modified, before I could do a pullup uhnmodified. :)

Its okay. :)

I can now do three.

Things that helped me:

Do modified pullups, as many as you can
    Lose weight, even 5 lbs extra weight can make a pull up impossible
    Do the other upper body exercises, going heavier on the weight as you can. Building muscle there, helps pullups
    The resistance bands for me were great for correcting my pullup form, so I was using the right muscles, switching from the chair to them made a hugh difference
  • coreykantola
    Options
    Good for you, take on the challange. P90 is hard but yes you can modify all the moves until you get stronger. The work out is all about dedication and following the work out plan if you do you will great results and modifing the move will help you get there. I have done P90 twice, Insanity twice, Asylum and now working on P90x-2 . They are all great programs.

Just keep pushing PLAY!
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the Power 90 In-Home Boot Camp. It is really good, if you can get past Tony Horton. I also seem to have a coordination problem with the resistence bands and ended up smacking myself in the head with them. LOL

I have a friend who had amazing results with P90X.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    took me over a year of doing P90x modified, before I could do a pullup uhnmodified. :)

Its okay. :)

I can now do three.

Things that helped me:

Do modified pullups, as many as you can
    Lose weight, even 5 lbs extra weight can make a pull up impossible
    Do the other upper body exercises, going heavier on the weight as you can. Building muscle there, helps pullups
    The resistance bands for me were great for correcting my pullup form, so I was using the right muscles, switching from the chair to them made a hugh difference

Thanks for the help! I switched from using the chair to doing reverse pull ups for the same reason. I didn't "feel" like I was using the right muscles. Doing the reverse ones, I know I'm using the right muscles.....they hurt lol. I don't care if I have to do 45000 reverse pull ups, someday I WILL do one regular! Lol.
    Also, I will up my weights in the coming weeks. I just don't feel like I'm there yet. Currently I'm using 10 pound weights for everything except triceps, I use 8 pound weights for those. In a week or two I'll be using 15 pound weights for everything and try the 10 pound ones for triceps. My goal for this round is to get up to my 20 pound weights, and 10 for triceps. I haven't lifted for over a year, and last time I got a little too ambitious and caused some pretty good injuries, so I'm taking it a little slower this time around. I would like to do two rounds this year, so if it takes some time to up the weights, that's ok. My ultimate goal is to be using 35 pound weights, or heavier. Ugh.....that seems so far away at this point lol.
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    P90X is intense, but as many have posted...you can and should modify to adapt to your ability. That said, progress and change will happen when you challenge yourself. Weight loss and the loss of inches happens when we challenge ourselves. I found P90X challenging, but I kept with it. After 90 days I saw some changes that were dramatic to ME.

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u443/davejones254/?action=view&current=P90XDay1-Day90.jpg

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u443/davejones254/?action=view&current=P90XDay1-Day90.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u443/davejones254/?action=view&current=P90XDay1-Day90-2nd.jpg

At the end of the day, it's about consistency. If you stick with an exercise and nutrition plan that is sound, you will see results. I liked P90X because it laid out a plan that was easy for me to follow (even if during the initial days/weeks, I wasn't able to complete the entire workout on some days).
  • tangal88
    Options
    yep I did reverse for a long time also - they do help.

Just work up the weights as you can - it does take time, but you will get there.

Also make sure you are eating enough protein, and calories - or you will find it takes longer to "get there" - you need enough macros and cals to repair and improve your muscle.

Aime for .5 - 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body mass.

And eat a bit extra on the calories, if you are doing P90x on 1200 calories, you will find it slow going.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am on day 20 and I LOVE it. I did a round about two years ago and lost 40 pounds, got lazy, gained 15 back and now I'm pushing it again every day. My results after just two weeks were amazing, can't wait to get to 90... then do it all over again! ;)

Like tangal88 said, getting enough calories in is KEY. I want to NET 1200 a day which means eating 1200 PLUS the 500-700 I burn every day doing the workouts. It's been hard but when I eat enough I feel better in the workouts and see results more quickly.
  • sara_rose
    sara_rose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! There is a lot of really good info in here!
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It would be dependent on how much you strength train now. If you are new to strength training or haven't really lifted much this will be a HUGE shock to your system. I recommend Jillian Michael's stuff or the Biggest Loser stuff. They are great, push you hard, but aren't super long, super insane workouts.
    I completely agree with this. P90X is a great program but can be intense. My wife did the Jillian Micheal 30 day shred and I did some with her. That also kicked my butt but sooo worth it. P90x is worth the money don't get me wrong, but I would try something a little less extreme for starters than work your way up to it.