How do you feel about dessert/sugar every day?

Options
My old diet consisted mostly of fast food and processed foods. I changed to eating at home 90% of the time but was still having some kind of dessert at lunch and dinner. For lunch I would have a turkey sandwich on light wheat bread, a piece of fruit and two cookies. The same kind of thing for dinner. Chicken, vegetables and then a skinny cow ice cream sandwich or piece of candy. I was able to get rid of the lunch dessert but I'm still eating something sweet after dinner. Last night I had a mini peppermint patty (50 calories). I always stay within my allowed calories but will eat something sweet that has between 50-150 calories every day.

I've been losing weight slowly but consistently over the past few weeks, on average probably about 2 pounds. I have a lot of weight to lose, about 200 lbs. I feel I should be losing more but I know I'm not exercising enough. The key is to stick with it!

Anyway, I'm wondering if the sugar is having an impact on my weight loss. Of course it's healthier to not eat it but I feel like I have to have it. I've been trying to switch to eating mostly dark chocolate if that makes a difference.

Do you have dessert every day or on a regular basis?

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you are programming it in, as in how much other sugar are you having and where are your carbs at. With a closed diary it's kind of hard to tell if the treats are an issue. I have treats every day but most of my diet is vegetables and lean meats.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    i've read sugar in the morning or for lunch is a good thing, helps starve off evening cravings

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9069276/Chocolate-cake-breakfast-could-help-you-lose-weight.html

Chocolate cake breakfast could help you lose weight
    Eating chocolate cake as part of a full breakfast can help you lose weight, say scientists.
    Chocolate cake breakfast could help you lose weight
    A meal in the morning provides energy for the day's tasks, aids in brain functioning and kick-starts the body's metabolism, making it crucial for weight loss and maintenance Photo: ALAMY

2:10PM GMT 08 Feb 2012

It sounds too good to be true but new research says having dessert - along with the traditional fry up - burns off the pounds.

Morning is the best time to consume sweets because that's when the body's metabolism is most active - and we have the rest of the day to work off the calories, a new study shows.

Eating cookies or chocolate as part of breakfast that includes proteins and carbs also helps stem the craving for sweets later.

Researchers split 193 clinically obese, non-diabetic adults into two groups who consumed either a low-carb diet that included a 300-calorie breakfast or a balanced 600-calorie breakfast that included a chocolate cake dessert.

Halfway through the 32-week study both groups had lost an average of 33 lbs per person. But in the second half of the study the low-carb group regained an average of 22 lbs per person - while the dessert gorgers lost another 15 lbs each.

At the end those who had consumed a 600 calorie breakfast had lost an average of 40 lbs more per person than their peers.

Although both groups consumed the same daily total calories - the men 1600 calories per day and the women 1400 - "the participants in the low-carbohydrate diet group had less satisfaction and felt that they were not full," said Professor Daniela Jakubowicz.

Their cravings for sugars and carbohydrates were more intense and eventually caused them to cheat on the diet plan.

This also suggests that the dessert group will be more successful at keeping the weight off, said the researchers whose findings are published in journal Steroids.

Prof Jakubowicz said: "But the group that consumed a bigger breakfast, including dessert, experienced few if any cravings for these foods later in the day."

Prof Jakubowicz, of Tel Aviv University, said attempting to avoid sweets entirely can create a psychological addiction to these same foods in the long-term.

A meal in the morning provides energy for the day's tasks, aids in brain functioning and kick-starts the body's metabolism, making it crucial for weight loss and maintenance.

And breakfast is the meal that most successfully regulates ghrelin, the hormone that increases hunger, said Prof Jakubowicz.

While the level of ghrelin rises before every meal, it is suppressed most effectively at breakfast time.

Basing their study on this fact, the researchers hoped to determine whether meal time and composition impacted weight loss in the short and long term, said Prof Jakubowicz, or if it was a simple matter of calorie count.

She said one of the biggest challenges that people face is keeping weight off in the long-term. Ingesting a higher proportion of our daily calories at breakfast makes sense.

It's not only good for body function but it also alleviates cravings. Highly restrictive diets that forbid desserts and carbohydrates are initially effective but often cause dieters to stray from their food plans as a result of withdrawal-like symptoms. They wind up regaining much of the weight they lost during the diet proper.

Ultimately this shows a diet must be realistic to be adopted as part of a new lifestyle. Curbing cravings is better than deprivation for weight loss success, said Prof Jakubowicz.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think if it fits within your plan, then leave them in.

My concern with 'cutting' anything out (within reason) is that I would too easily feel deprived and fall off the wagon more quickly.
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have sugar (well, chocolate) every single day. I exercise in order to make that happen. I've tried in the past to restrict chocolate or sweets in my diet and it just ends up causing a binge later on. I love chocolate, love the sweetness of it, love the taste and it's quite satisfying.
    As long as I watch my calories, exercise daily, I can eat my chocolate.
    I'm still losing weight, still feeling wonderful. It's not causing me to feel sluggish or anything so at this point, I really don't see any negative effects occurring from the consumption of it.
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand the sweet cravings. I had those quite a bit, too. You know what made mine stop? Cutting back on the soda. I was drinking four or five a day.. diet soda, not regular. But it made me want sweets. I have finally cut back to one a day in the morning (because I don't drink coffee), and that's it. On the occasions when I decide to "treat" myself for a job well done during the day with a "dessert" of a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper -- I find myself craving sweets almost instantly after I start drinking it.

Try using fruit as your dessert -- OR sugar-free jello with a small bit of cool whip on top. Good luck!!
  • aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I buy the Weight Watchers desserts....around 120 calories and I can have strawberry shortcake! Even if it isn't low cal, as long as you are logging it and not going over every day, have your dessert! :)
  • littleline9
    Options
    Personally, I feel like there's nothing wrong with treating yourself in moderation (: It sounds like you're doing dessert in the healthiest way you can! I mean, you'd probably be better off with a piece of fruit, so maybe substitute that for candy and ice cream every now and then. But as long as you stay within your allowed calories, I think you're fine. If you know you have a major sweet tooth and you deprive yourself for too long, you'll be so much more likely to binge on a special occasion. Everything in moderation. (: And I don't have desert every day, but I will when I want it!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend it
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can't go more than 2 days without some sweets. Normally at night I eat some, but adjusting my calories to allow them.
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    I agree that as long as you are planning it in to your daily caloric allotment, and keeping a good reign on the quality of calories, it's not a bad thing. The reason I would say don't completely cut out sweets is because then you have a tendency to feel like you're denying yourself and could very easily go overboard when you do eat something sweet again. Things happen. . . there are holidays and birthdays, and I think it's completely unrealistic to believe a person will live the rest of their life without any kind of dessert. Just keep a good handle on it, limit it to once a day at the most, and maybe even consider only two or three times a week if you feel you need to cut it down even more. Congrats on taking out the lunch dessert though. I know how hard it can be to let go of the sweets!!!
  • bluegrass_girl
    bluegrass_girl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You know what, I say go ahead and have a treat if you are staying within your calories for the day. You have made some big changes and are well on your way to becoming the size/shape you want to be. There are a lot of die hard dieters on here that would tell you sugar is evil and no way should you eat it, but i go with the thought of everything in moderation and be happy. I bet you will find in time that you don't crave the sugars as you eat healthier and get fitter. I started walking for exercise at first and now am trying the Jillian 30 day shred . Good luck my friend and stay positive!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert every single day! It's not really because of sweet cravings or bad habits either. I usually just have 800 (or more) calories left at the end of each day and it's fun to use some of those for a dessert. I use whatever us left after that to eat cheese or popcorn or something like that.

I could eat more fruit... but I already eat a ton of fruit. I could eat other healthy, calorie-rich foods like nuts - but if I eat too many nuts, I get eczema. Dessert just works for me. :-)
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate every day, now Im on maintenance, Im not losing anymore but Im not putting on either-I think stick to the dark chocolate and maybe exercise to earn it. If you dont do any exercise on that day then dont have it that day if you see what I mean. Thats what I did when I was dieting.....

Thats just my opinion.... if you can fit it in your calories then I dont see the harm if the rest of your diet is pretty clean and free from processed crap....
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I eat A treat every day too. Today is oreos and ice cream
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you can handle having sweets in moderation and that if it helps you to stay on track then more power to you.
    There are hundreds of successful 'losers' here on MFP that have managed to lose substantial amounts of weight doing exactly what you're doing.

You said you're staying within your calorie allowance and that's the secret right there. As long as you're in a deficit, you will lose weight.
    It sounds as though you've already made healthier choices than in the past. This is fantastic!

I use to deprive myself of both treats and calories and now I'm doing neither. I raised my calorie allowance (while still keeping a deficit of course) and eat 70% chocolate nearly every day.
    Now I couldn't eat cookies or cake or donuts because those foods trigger binges but I do love my chocolate and I can handle that in moderation.

I know of a woman who lost 90 pounds in about 5 months on here that ate a Skinny Cow every single night while doing so.

The whole trick to this is to find an eating program that helps YOU to stick to YOUR weight loss plan and if that includes a daily treat, then that's the plan for you. :flowerforyou:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating healthy and have some extra calories at night for your treat, go for it. :drinker:
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Yes! I save calories each day specifically for desserts/sweets. If you plan for it, then why not have something sweet on a daily basis?
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I understand the sweet cravings. I had those quite a bit, too. You know what made mine stop? Cutting back on the soda. I was drinking four or five a day.. diet soda, not regular. But it made me want sweets. I have finally cut back to one a day in the morning (because I don't drink coffee), and that's it. On the occasions when I decide to "treat" myself for a job well done during the day with a "dessert" of a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper -- I find myself craving sweets almost instantly after I start drinking it.

Try using fruit as your dessert -- OR sugar-free jello with a small bit of cool whip on top. Good luck!!

I so totally agree with this post. Sugar is just my worst enemy. I read somewhere that diet soda is worst for you than the regular ones. So now I have cut back to only 2 diet soda per week. I have also noticed that when I drink my diet sunkist it makes me crave more sugar...I usually just try to get my sugar from fruit, more natural and better for you. Can't wait til summer for canteloupe and watermelon...
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Most days I have at least one type of dessert. A lot of times they are home made cookies or something of the like. At least when it's homemade I know what's in it and can make them vegan too :) I'm not always vegan but a lot of times desserts are healthier if they are vegan. You're working hard enough, I don't think that a little sugar will hurt!! Just try and see if your'e going over your sugar all day or not, then you really know if you can have it or not.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion.

When your first starting out, I think as long as your are under calories having treats like this is fine. Habits don't change over night, and its much easier to get through the day under calories when you know you can have a treat too! The long your do this, the less you will feel like you "need" a dessert with each meal etc.

2 lbs a week is a very good loss, and a healthy one. You might have a long ways to go, but by doing it healthy you will be able to keep it off by forming new habits. Plus you won't be cranky because you get a cookie :)

Good luck!