Frozen Healthy Dinners? Are they really healthy?

Options

Replies

• hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh, PS--I should mention that my make ahead meals are always done in the crock pot. I too work two jobs. Ugh. Hang in there!
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that the sodium content is obscene. Also, if you read the label, you'll usually find a whole lot of preservatives. In a strictly calorie-conscious way, they're fine, but if you're trying to incorporate more clean, whole foods, they're not so great.
    That being said, if you don't have a ton of time to make dinner, try and get some frozen veggies, or maybe veggie burgers, because that way you're cutting down on your cooking time, but it's not like the whole meal came out of a box.
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    Here's my take on frozen dinners. . . .

They are most valuable for teaching portion control and re-sizing your stomach! I started my weight loss journey and lifestyle change on Jenny Craig, and that's why I chose that program. I had no idea how much I should really be eating and needed something easy to start out with so that I would stick with my goals.

Now, once you have portion size and stomach size under control, then you'd be better off eating real food where you can control what kind of chemicals go into your food. And cooking your own food is not as time consuming as it may seem. . . my husband and I dedicate a couple of hours on the weekend to making our food for the entire week. We'll make one crock-pot dish (which only takes the time to throw it in!) and then we make one or two more dishes that are super easy to prepare and throw in the oven or on the skillet. If you don't mind eating the same basic thing every day for the week, this is a great way to make your own meals! Then the next weekend you can change it up if you're sick of what you've been eating. :)
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like them because the A) Don't take good and B) aren't filling enough. I do however like the Trader Joe frozen meals and for under 400 calories I feel fuller and the flavor is so much better in my opinion!! Yes there is a bunch of sodium but I drink more water and try to watch other things I eat to lower the sodium in my day. Plus I think that the Trader Joes meals are made with more "whole" foods and less preservatives than the "diet" meals!!!

God bless Trader Joe's. Their frozen brown rice makes me\y life so much easier.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've eaten plenty of frozen dinners due to being a busy mom of 3. I wouldn't say completely healthy but enough if you're on the go or trying to get your portions controlled. I try to mix fresh veggies or salads and drink plenty of water to wash away the sodium :drinker:
  • tiamaria3
    tiamaria3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice meals pretty much everyday since I started my journey. Like everyone else has said, they are packed with sodium but honestly if you are drinking plenty of water and you are under your calories it won't make that big of a difference. One other thing I would mention is that, since someone said the meals don't fill them up, is that you will need to eat something else along with the meal more than likely. The meals usually don't go over 350 calories so I always have some sun chips and some fruit with mine usually giving me a 500-700 calorie lunch.

Similar to what i was going to say..:flowerforyou:
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think they are okay sometimes. I mean we all have stressful days and sometimes they are just easier.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Read the ingredient label on everything you buy that has a label. I largely stay away from things that are packed with sugar, corn syrup, sodium, and chemicals. I check for partially hydrogenated oils of any kind, and I don't buy anything that has that (they're transfats and dangerous.)

Healthy sandwiches on whole wheat or Ezekiel bread or whole grain bread, with fresh veggies, etc., are great, better than a frozen meal any day, for me anyway.

Once I got used to eating a whole lot simpler and healthier than I used to eat, it got easier to eat easy foods, and they are so nutritious I don't get as hungry as I used to. And when I get hungry, I eat something healthy to fill the gap between meals or so that I don't have to go to bed hungry.

I don't deprive myself. But I am finding that eating nutritiously keeps me from craving sugary and refined and processed foods.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Those meals may seem like a bargain, particularly when they are on sale or you have a coupon. But if you really do the math, they are overall more expensive than making your own. As was suggested, you can make your own in large batches, divide the meals into individual servings, and store each serving in individual containers. Your per serving cost will be less than any comparable frozen dinners.
  • griebelt
    griebelt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat Progresso light with an apple every day for lunch - healthy dinner and two snacks...works for me///1200 cal a day and work out at least 3 x a week. Have lost 15 pounds in 8 weeks
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am curious to what you guys and girls think about meals like healthy choice and smart ones, if you think they are really as healthy as they claim to be. I know it's hard for me to always cook since I work 2 jobs and it's easy to pop one of these in the microwave, but I have read that they are not that good for you, then I read that they are. What do you think?

I think calorie wise they're not too bad and can help you stay under your calorie goal and continue losing weight. However, I am always starving after eating one. It will fill me up for maybe an hour and then I want another complete meal again so I try to stay away from them. If I were going to eat them it would probably be for dinner (cause I try to keep my breakfast/ lunch under 300 calories each) and pair them with a salad so I would actually feel full afterwards.

Of course, everything should always be taken i moderation so I wouldn't try to eat one every meal. But if you find a few favorites for those nights when you don't have time to cook, it is a good way to guarantee that you don't eat more then the one serving size and stay under calories.
  • prose58
    prose58 Posts: 52
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisine for lunch during the week and watch my sodium on other things.

I find that one of those with an apple and maybe something else is more than enough and I am plenty full.

I eat a lot of salad with some kind of protein at supper so it seems to balance itself out.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisine has some. I just had Chicken Chow Mein, it only had 240 cal, 39 carbs, 4 fat, 13 protein, and 550 sodium. I add extra frozen veggies to make it more filling and little extra calories with no extra sodium.
    You can't have a decent sandwich for lower then that.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Usually too high on carbs and too low on protein to fill me up for longer than two hours. I really like the Amy's bean burritos though :)
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I work with a woman who eats smart ones every day at work.. we are all conviced she is slowly killing herself... the sodium is out of control and this woman drinks no water durring the day... one day we are going to find her on the floor somewhere...
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There are so many better alternatives, why bother with so much sodium and low "protein"? I put that in quotes because the meat in those things are scary. I'd rather eat a pb&j.

I cannot tell a lie. I do love me some frozen pot stickers from Trader Joe's. Shhhhh
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Rather than reading the macronutrients, read the list of ingredients. This might put you off most frozen, prepared meals...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There are so many better alternatives, why bother with so much sodium and low "protein"? I put that in quotes because the meat in those things are scary. I'd rather eat a pb&j.

I cannot tell a lie. I do love me some frozen pot stickers from Trader Joe's. Shhhhh

LOL for me it's the vegetable gyoza. A twice-a-year indulgence :P
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    YESSSSS Those are so amazing. I pretend they're better for me if I steam them lol.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I don't like frozen unhealthy dinners, so I doubt I would like the healthy ones. I think they use more salt and sugar to accommodate for the lack of calories.