Options

Replies

• Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    No one can sabotage your eating habits but yourself
  • HanPobjoy
    HanPobjoy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it is just one of those things, people will always do it and usually when they are trying to be well meaning. The only thing to do is pour light and love towards them, acknowledge they are saying it from love and ignore the hell out of them!

Sounds like you are all doing fab, inspirational :happy:
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My mom tries to control my diet -.-;; when I say no...she asks 30x then eats in front of me...if I say I want to lose weight she says I have to give up "Everything" that I love for it to work....I believe I can eat my favorite foods and lose weight just I won't pig out..its unrealistic to never have a bag of chips again. When I want to eat healthy or organic...she won't go to the store or brings back calorie packed snacks... >_>;; yes, dieting is hard in my house :<
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Threads like this make me sad. It must be hard to not have the support from those who matter most. I cannot even imagine how I would feel if those who said they loved me went against me and my desire to become a healthier happier person. I wish you all the best.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is... everyone is self-absorbed. Everyone. You and them. And me. It's not sabotage. It's that your dietary habits aren't all that important to them. It's not something that's on their mind the way it's on yours.

And the truth of the matter is, barring food allergies or other medical issues, one of something WON'T hurt. One brownie, one piece of pizza, one cupcake, one cookie, one glass of wine... not enough to make any difference at all. Heck, even one ENTIRE pizza isn't even enough to make you gain one pound.

But if it's something you don't want, all you have to say is, "No, thank you." "No thanks, I'm not hungry." "Oh, I'd love to, but I just ate." "Sorry, I'm not in the mood for that right now."

Quoted for truth and stealing my thoughts from my brain
  • JackboyE
    JackboyE Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't mention diet unless you're willing to go toe to toe with the person about it haha.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    People hate to see others making great choices when they themselves lack the willpower. They see you eating a salad for lunch and instead of being inspired by you, it makes them feel like a failure.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog about this early in my journey ...this is something I still struggle with, but it remains frustrating nonetheless

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kaetmarie/view/bon-voyage-sabateurs-158616#comments
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    People share food. It's what they do. For some people, sharing a meal is a social event. It's not sabotage...people are just behaving like they usually do.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    N/M
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Shedding weight is hard! -- I think it is jealousy at times :(

Yep i second this!

I actually don't listen to a word people say about it now unless it's positive. Funnily enough the people who try to discourage me could usually do with sorting out their own lifestyle!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that family, and co-workers are the worst. :ohwell:

And I chalk it up to jealousy. Maybe they are not overweight and jealous of the weight loss, but just jealous that you are succeeding at something.

:flowerforyou:
  • merrylea
    merrylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My mom tries to control my diet -.-;; when I say no...she asks 30x then eats in front of me...if I say I want to lose weight she says I have to give up "Everything" that I love for it to work....I believe I can eat my favorite foods and lose weight just I won't pig out..its unrealistic to never have a bag of chips again. When I want to eat healthy or organic...she won't go to the store or brings back calorie packed snacks... >_>;; yes, dieting is hard in my house :<

Sounds like your mom has some serious food issues herself. She doesn't want you to get healthy? That is so odd. You are right, you don't have to give up everything you love. Just pick and chose what is important and moderation!
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone says, you do what you want!! If someone offers you soemthing you dont want or feel you dont need to have, then just a simple "No thank you" will do...you dont need to explain anything...its that simple!
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is... everyone is self-absorbed. Everyone. You and them. And me. It's not sabotage. It's that your dietary habits aren't all that important to them. It's not something that's on their mind the way it's on yours.

And the truth of the matter is, barring food allergies or other medical issues, one of something WON'T hurt. One brownie, one piece of pizza, one cupcake, one cookie, one glass of wine... not enough to make any difference at all. Heck, even one ENTIRE pizza isn't even enough to make you gain one pound.

But if it's something you don't want, all you have to say is, "No, thank you." "No thanks, I'm not hungry." "Oh, I'd love to, but I just ate." "Sorry, I'm not in the mood for that right now."

I agree. Some people are a-holes and some people just like to bring thing into the job for everyone to enjoy. They may ask you so not to look rude. Just say "No, thank you" and keep it rolling.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    People share food. It's what they do. For some people, sharing a meal is a social event. It's not sabotage...people are just behaving like they usually do.

I agree with this. It's just your duty to try to resist!!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The only person who can sabotage your diet is you.

Nuff said!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The only person who can sabotage your diet is you.

this is true ^ but i think she is just trying to vent that this can be annoying. whether they care or don't care about her diet, it's annoying. sounds like a few of them haven't learned and aren't going to stop either. we all deal with this and it sucks. but no, they probably don't really want to sabotage. they just love to share food like most people do.
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    Don't mention diet unless you're willing to go toe to toe with the person about it haha.

I'm learning! lol
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    I wrote a blog about this early in my journey ...this is something I still struggle with, but it remains frustrating nonetheless

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kaetmarie/view/bon-voyage-sabateurs-158616#comments

Thanks! I enjoyed reading your blog, and happy you get what I was saying in my post!