cutting crust off bread to save calories?

eelane
eelane Posts: 27 Member
I had two slices of bread, weighing 73g together. When I cut the crust off the crust weighed 36g. So that means the total bread weight leftover was 37g. Is that what I count for calories? Would it be accurate to say the crust has more calories in it since it weighs more?

in this bread 1g= 2.27 calories

Replies

• Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    I would think so? It can't weigh more without being more...it shouldn't matter if the weight is "hard" or "soft", the weight is still the same, no?

But I love the crust... especially crunchy crust
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I cut it off because my limit is 1200 calories a day, so those little bits add up

Hence taking the stairs a couple of flights or walking a few extra steps... I ate at 1200 net calories for quite some time and never made eating this difficult.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    why not stick to one piece of bread, or slice it more thinly, rather than cutting off crust?
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Try having an open sandwich. You get heaps more filling that way and save on a slice of bread. Only drawback, it usually needs to be eaten with a knife and fork :-)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    I cut it off because my limit is 1200 calories a day, so those little bits add up
    Then why not skip the bread all together?
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    I cut the crust off of my bread too. I started doing this for my grand kids who don't like the crust and then I started doing it for myself too. The bread I use weighs 3 ounces for 2 slices, when I cut off the crust it weighs 2 ounces. I'm sure it changes the calorie count but I just leave it as is. I have found I prefer my bread without crust but I still do like to make myself a sandwich:)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member

Then why not cut the bread in half like a half a sandwich and load it up?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    why not stick to one piece of bread, or slice it more thinly, rather than cutting off crust?

z3450_mind-blown.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    This is pure genius!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I had two slices of bread, weighing 73g together. When I cut the crust off the crust weighed 36g. So that means the total bread weight leftover was 37g. Is that what I count for calories? Would it be accurate to say the crust has more calories in it since it weighs more?

in this bread 1g= 2.27 calories
    If the crust weighs 36g and there are 2.27 calories per g then you know how many calories are in the crust... what was the question again?
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Funny, I started on this kick last week!

I make my own bread and find that, on a 3 ounce slice, the crust is as much a 1 ounce.

What's the value in the extra ounce?

According to a study done in Germany in 2002, the crust contains a very high percentage of antioxidants that are created when the bread cooks. There was a follow up study done in '09, IIRC, that confirmed the results.

I don't have the links handy but they're a Google away.

Insofar as calories are concerned my hunch is that the crust contains fewer calories than an ounce of bread because the carbs in the crust have been cooked to the point where they're brittle and brown which I suspect reduces the caloric value.

Does the Maillard reaction occur in the crust?

[Google foo engaged]

Ah, yes, the Wiki - where would we be without it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

Haven't read the article yet but it looked interesting when I skimmed it.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    73g x 2.27cal = 165.71 cal

36g x 2.27cal = 81.72 cal

165.71 cal - 81.72 cal = 83.99 cal

83.99 cal is your answer.

I think.... wait, what was the question?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member

Then why not cut the bread in half like a half a sandwich and load it up?
    That's what I usually do - one slice of bread, all the filling! Makes a thick sandwich, but not too thick that I can't eat it! :tongue: I almost always have half the bread, all the meat, and sides of fruit and/or veggies.