Starting the Atkins diet

Options

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Im new to Atkins.. so here's some of my questions, hoping someone can answer

New to Atkins, trying to find info on how to log a bottle of beer with the net carb formula. Also - is it imperative to stay under 20net carbs during the first 2 weeks regardless of body type, age, gender?

Im 6ft 210 (stuck at 210) 38-39 waist 17 neck 38 hips. scales says 34-32% body fat.

To lucky1ns and mcanavan05: There are several groups you can join on MFP that are only for low-carbers, Paleo, Atkins, Dukan and others.
  • martinah4
    Options

New to Atkins, trying to find info on how to log a bottle of beer with the net carb formula. Also - is it imperative to stay under 20net carbs during the first 2 weeks regardless of body type, age, gender?

Im 6ft 210 (stuck at 210) 38-39 waist 17 neck 38 hips. scales says 34-32% body fat.

To lucky1ns and mcanavan05: There are several groups you can join on MFP that are only for low-carbers, Paleo, Atkins, Dukan and others. Go to your "Groups" tab, and find "search for groups", type in "Atkins" or "low-carb", whatever you're searching for. Request to be added to the group.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

if you really want to lose weight it would be best to not have to log beer...just sayin
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Anytime you limit carbs, your body uses up its glycogen stores. Each molecule of glycogen has 3 or 4 molecules of water, which means if you have 2 pounds of glycogen, then you have 6-8lbs of "water weight". Anything that drops that fast is usually water weight, especially in the beginning of a diet like that. As soon as you have a day of normal carb intake, your glycogen will be restored, and you gain back the water weight. Weight loss comes from restricting calories, which you can achieve by eating smarter portions or restricting certain foods. I find just eating smart portions of everything works for me. Just understand as you proceed that if you "mess up" one day and eat more carbs than usual, then see you've gained several pounds overnight, it's just water weight.

So, according to your numbers, I have lost 67 pounds of water weight, or at least 22 pounds of glycogen? True, the first weight lost on any diet is water weight, but I think it's a stretch to say that all the weight lost on a low-carb diet is water weight. Is that what you're implying?

Yes because that is EXACTLY what I said. :huh: What numbers are you talking about? You really think you had over 16lbs of glycogen? Or are you saying you lost 67 pounds in just a week? Because It's pretty obvious I'm talking about the 6-12lbs that the average person will lose within the first week or so of restricting carbs (which generally any dieter will experience to some degree because carbs are usually denser in calories than other options and we choose them less often). I was making sure the OP, who was excited about losing 2lbs in 2 days, realizes that if she has a day where she eats a higher number of carbs, her glycogen will be restored, and she'll gain water weight back, because it's physically impossible to lose 2lbs of body fat in 2 days.

I'm not saying you lost 67 pounds of water weight, that is absolutely ridiculous. I never said all the weight lost on a low-carb diet is water weight, I said when you start restricting carbs, your glycogen stores are used up, and you drop that weight along with the water accompanying it, hence a fast loss of water weight. Where in my post did you see me say, "ZOMG ALL WEIGHT LOST THROUGH LOW CARBS IZ WAAAATER!" *rolls eyes* Nice try though, trying to put words in my mouth and all. :drinker:
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I had this issue a while ago, slow results on atkin, but now i am getting good results. I think the issue was I was consuming way too much protein. You also mentioned "not binging on fat." Well you should. Protein in take should be at "minimum 150g" prevent nitrogen loss. 1.25g of protein per pound of Lean muscle mass, add the grams of carbs you plan to consume, and fill the rest with fat.
    Thanks for that - I was feeling a bit disheartened because I haven't been climbing onto carbs that much to cause such a plateau. I am having some 150-200 g of chicken per day and 2 eggs - would you say that is too much protein? I am 5'2' and 177 lbs but no idea of my lean muscle mass. How do i fill with fat? I have mayonnaise every day - should i slather butter or glug coconut oil?
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I know Atkins admirers admonish us not to stop this after losing weight - how it is a lifestyle change, not just a diet, but I know htat I cannot eat so much protein all my life - I was an 80% vegetarian who ate chicken once a week, so much chicken makes me not enjoy my meals, I would love to go back to more vegies and pulses. So I hope after getting leaner and working out tons, i would be able to shed the excessive proteining - but I am worried I will bloat up again. Did that happen to any of you who stopped Atkins and went back to normal calorie counting and mild carb control?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I know Atkins admirers admonish us not to stop this after losing weight - how it is a lifestyle change, not just a diet, but I know htat I cannot eat so much protein all my life - I was an 80% vegetarian who ate chicken once a week, so much chicken makes me not enjoy my meals, I would love to go back to more vegies and pulses. So I hope after getting leaner and working out tons, i would be able to shed the excessive proteining - but I am worried I will bloat up again. Did that happen to any of you who stopped Atkins and went back to normal calorie counting and mild carb control?

If you want to stop Atkins and go higher carb, you can do that. Its people who think they can lose weight on Atkins, then go back to their old eating habits who are fooling themselves. There is no known permanent *cure* to being overweight. The sad truth is if you are overweight once, then your body will probably want to be overweight for the rest of your life. The only way to prevent it is to eat a sustainable diet that allows you to limit your consumption.

If you go off Atkins, it is very important to watch your calorie intake closely because you will otherwise have a tendency to eat much more once allowing the carbs to be freely ingested.
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    BUMP BUMP FOR LATER :)
  • martinah4
    Options

Atkins is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. As with any diet, when you return to the eating habits (that caused you to gain weight in first place), you are bound to gain the weight back.
    Atkins is also friendly for vegetarians, and the book tells you how. I do Atkins. I did not dramatically raise my protein levels--I upped my veggies.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    There is no secret to losing weight. It all boils down to burning more calories than you take in, whether those calories come in carbs, fats, or proteins.

Actually, there is a secret! When you lower your carbs, you usually up your fat and protein. When you eat more fat and protein, you feel full and tend to eat less calories!
    Conversely, if you're only tracking your calories and exercising more, you feel hungry more often and faster, making it easier to cheat.
    IMO.

Based on an individuals preference. It can vary from person to person, but in the end it still comes down to burning more calories than you take in no matter if you eat carbs or not. You can cut all the carbs you want out of your diet, but if you are still eating 3000 calories a day of proteins and fats, you are going to have a hard time losing weight.

well when I was on it I lost 60 lbs....and I ate alot......it was ketoacidosis that caused the weight loss.

Ketoacidosis is not what caused the weight loss.

There is a major difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Sorry for the rant I just feel very strongly about this. A little info though I don't cut carbs but I don't eat much of them. If I have toast I'll only eat half or if I make a sandwich I just use half the bread. I watch how much I've had and I usually stay well below the recommended 300! I think the Atkins can be great if you skip induction. Completely removing carbs from your diet is bad in my opinion and experiences.

If you are low-carbing correctly, you are not eliminating carbs completely. You are simply getting the majority of your carbs from veggies and avoiding carbs that come from foods like breads and pasta.

They don't hear ya though...............
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Check out Sugar Free Sheila's website.

She has been on Atkins for a decade and has kept the weight off. She always updates her pics and offers suggestions and such.

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Wow, this thread really took off! I have a bad habit of starting a thread and following it an hour or two and then abandoning it. I kind of forgot about this thread. I apologize. I was just browzing the forums and saw this and clicked on it and was surprised to see my face as the OP!

Anyway, I read through the whole thing. I am happy Atkin's or "low carb" has so many supporters, and I appreciate all of your encouraging stories. I also appreciate those who believe the diet is unhealthy and took the time to write about their concerns, especially the ones who had really bad experiences, health-wise.

It's been about three weeks now, and I have lost 7 pounds on Atkins Induction. I don't find it hard to maintain at all. I exercise at the gym taking high energy classes in the mornings and I am getting some abs! WOW! I have lost two inches on my waist and two inches on my hips (since january, when I started exercising). But as stated earlier, exercising just didn't work as far as the weight coming off. It came off only when I started Atkins.

I feel wonderful. Seeing results and having my husband say "Your a s s is getting smaller and tighter" is such a huge motivator!

As far as cravings, they are almost non existent. I started out eating very clean but my second week introduced shakes and bars from Atkins, and the weight stalled a bit. So this last week, I have cut out bars but I still drink a shake a day because they are great for before the six am workouts.

I will keep on updating, and thank you for all your feedback!
  • martinah4
    Options
    Wow, this thread really took off! I have a bad habit of starting a thread and following it an hour or two and then abandoning it. I kind of forgot about this thread. I apologize. I was just browzing the forums and saw this and clicked on it and was surprised to see my face as the OP!

Anyway, I read through the whole thing. I am happy Atkin's or "low carb" has so many supporters, and I appreciate all of your encouraging stories. I also appreciate those who believe the diet is unhealthy and took the time to write about their concerns, especially the ones who had really bad experiences, health-wise.

It's been about three weeks now, and I have lost 7 pounds on Atkins Induction. I don't find it hard to maintain at all. I exercise at the gym taking high energy classes in the mornings and I am getting some abs! WOW! I have lost two inches on my waist and two inches on my hips (since january, when I started exercising). But as stated earlier, exercising just didn't work as far as the weight coming off. It came off only when I started Atkins.

I feel wonderful. Seeing results and having my husband say "Your a s s is getting smaller and tighter" is such a huge motivator!

As far as cravings, they are almost non existent. I started out eating very clean but my second week introduced shakes and bars from Atkins, and the weight stalled a bit. So this last week, I have cut out bars but I still drink a shake a day because they are great for before the six am workouts.

I will keep on updating, and thank you for all your feedback!

You've mirrored my experience. I used to work out like a dog, but it turns out i was like a hamster spinning in the little wheel. I didn't actually start losing weight until I changed to low-carb/Atkins. Now, I'm losing weight, and I only exercise 1/2 as much as I used to, but have twice as much energy. Zumba, anyone!
    Great job!
  • JenniferAHaines
    JenniferAHaines Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think a major misconception with all diets is what happens when you get to your goal weight. No matter if you do Atkins, South Beach, count calories, what have you, most people get to a point where they think, "I'm done! Look at me, I lost all the weight!" And then old habits of eating unhealthy, processed foods starts creeping back in. Also, I feel like a lot of people stop monitoring their weight once they're "done" with their diet so it's a lot easier for 5-10 lbs to creep on before you notice anything. I don't think you have to say that you're going to do Atkins for the rest of your life, but I do think you have to make a committment to realize that you have issues with your weight and that's it's going to be a lifetime of monitoring your exercise and what you do put in your body. I know for me personally, Atkins makes me feel full longer and stabilizes my mood much better than a low calorie diet. Of course, all this is just my opinion and what works for me. As no two people are the same, I don't think you can have a one size fits all approach to weight loss.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins, but it only lasted 2 months. I will tell you, you will drop weight really quickly. I lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks. However, once you start eating carbohydrates again, you will gain it back with a vengeance. Not only will you gain the weight you lost back, but you will pack on a few extra pounds. The worst part about it is, you get so tired of eating meats that all you want to do it binge on carbs.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    I was doing the Atkins diet in January,but got off course due to digestive issues.....mostly constipation(sorry for TMI).......I started back with the carbs.,but I want to keep doing Atkins....other than the digestive problem,I feel much better doing low carb......someone suggested taking Metamucil(sugar-free of course)......I bought some a few days ago and I believe it will solve my problem with the diet.
    My biggest downfall is sweets....I can't and don't control my portions when I am eating them.....the first bite always leads to a binge....just look at my diary yesterday....I had 6...yes,6 cupcakes....Good grief! I'm trying to start induction over as of today......best of luck and hang it there....this is a great lifestyle and I know you can be successful at it!
    Friend me if you would like.......I would love to have a fellow follower to support me here!

I had the same issues after being on the Atkins plan for 9 months. I lost 45 lbs. It definitely works but you have to move through the phases properly, which I didn't do. I'm not including carbs in my diet. Whole grains, more beans etc... I am allowing carbs but still under my "allowed" amount for the day. I just had to make the changes for my body because exchanging carbs for doctor visits isn't good either. You just have to find the right balance.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If thinking about Atkins, consider watching the documentary FatHead. It's pro-low carb, but cautious about Atkins.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If thinking about Atkins, consider watching the documentary FatHead. It's pro-low carb, but cautious about Atkins.

And also makes you more ignorant on the subject of nutrition
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for 3 months and lost 80lbs :)