Is it ok to drink protein shakes if you don't work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    Most people underestimate how much protein they should be consuming every day. Yes, too much in one sitting can put stress on your liver and kidneys. 25 grams at one time is about all your kidneys can take, but if you draw it out over the day, it can be really beneficial to your overall health!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Most people underestimate how much protein they should be consuming every day. Yes, too much in one sitting can put stress on your liver and kidneys. 25 grams at one time is about all your kidneys can take, but if you draw it out over the day, it can be really beneficial to your overall health!

only 25 grams? That could quite possible be wrong.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes because they do two things for me: 1. Make me feel full longer and 2. Make me think I'm drinking a milkshake so I do not have cravings for actual milkshakes.

I don't always work out after having one, generally for breakfast, as it's fast and a great for on the go.

I do however make sure to drink one after exercise to help with the repair of muscles.

Honestly since I've dropped my carbs down low and upped my protein I feel like a million bucks. That's just me, though, everybody is different.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    good question... hoping for a scientific answer....
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yes. I work out, but even on days that I don't, I usually have one (I prefer EAS Advantage Carb Control or Muscle Milk Light--less sugar/carbs) every day. I have a really hard time getting enough protein in, and this is a good way to make sure I get what I need (and to make sure I get enough calories).

BUT, be careful which kind you get. Look at sugar, carbs, sodium, etc. So many of those protein shakes contain a LOT of sugar, which is why I stick to the 2 I mentioned before.

Also, I am a firm believer in 40/30/30, 40% calories from protein, 30% from fat, 30% from carbs. This is what works for me, anyway, and pretty much every nutritionist and fitness professional has supported it.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes! I keep ready made ones (like Athlete's Honey Milk Light) in the fridge for a quick meal and take one w/me when I'm going to be out and about for a while so I'm not tempted to eat crap! :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat a gram per lean body mass. Basically about 110 grams for me. This all depends on your weight and body fat percentage. It ends up being about 30% of my diet. I work out and lift, however.

^^This!! I do the same. And I do workout everyday, but even if I was not working out, I will drink a protein shake or two a day. I do not do meal replacements...this is on top of my meals.

I try to hit 106 grams (this is my lean mass) but there are days that I hit upper 140s...especially if I eat tuna!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Yes. It would be the same as asking "is it ok to eat this chicken breast, if I'm not working out" No worries.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes. I work out, but even on days that I don't, I usually have one (I prefer EAS Advantage Carb Control or Muscle Milk Light--less sugar/carbs) every day. I have a really hard time getting enough protein in, and this is a good way to make sure I get what I need (and to make sure I get enough calories).

BUT, be careful which kind you get. Look at sugar, carbs, sodium, etc. So many of those protein shakes contain a LOT of sugar, which is why I stick to the 2 I mentioned before.

Also, I am a firm believer in 40/30/30, 40% calories from protein, 30% from fat, 30% from carbs. This is what works for me, anyway, and pretty much every nutritionist and fitness professional has supported it.

And this too!!! I love the AdvantEdge protein shakes!!!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I like it because it really curbs my hunger, but I don't always get a workout in. Is it ok to drink this on the reg even though I may not work out?

Here's what I take:
    73419377.jpg

Thats actaully a good balanced one. its ok especially is you use it as a meal replacement just dont go overboard, same as anythign else.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    NO its highly illeagal!!!!!!! The cops are coming for you !!!!!!!

seriously though why the hell not???? as long as you are not going over in cals... all protien is good

I am planning on adding more in, to get enough protein i dont always

lol Wouldn't be the first time. :wink:

I think I heard somewhere that too much protein is hard on your liver or kidneys... I'm gonna need those to help with the booze so I don't want my protein shakes to screw them all up. :tongue:

You do realize how hard booze makes it to lose weight. Just a heads up. Not the greatest choice if you are trying to lose weight. (I know calorie in vs calorie out, but our body seems to process things differently, booze is one of the things that can cause slight bloating though.)
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like it because it really curbs my hunger, but I don't always get a workout in. Is it ok to drink this on the reg even though I may not work out?

Here's what I take:
    73419377.jpg
    Protein shakes should be drank before or after a workout it helps with muscle. If you drink them and do not work out it gives you empty calories.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Of course it is. However just be careful on your calories etc. It's a great way of getting in protein. It's only like having a piece of chicken in a much more "body" friendly format. Especially if you're a veggie. But why aren't you working out is a question we should be asking you?
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

Here's what I take:
    73419377.jpg
    Protein shakes should be drank before or after a workout it helps with muscle. If you drink them and do not work out it gives you empty calories.

Please explain how they provide empty calories? I see carbs in there, I see protein. How do they differ from a meal?
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Here's what I take:
    73419377.jpg

Please explain how they provide empty calories? I see carbs in there, I see protein. How do they differ from a meal?

magic
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options

cant go wrong with this approach