Cheat day Yes or Just a little

Options
I have a cheat day on Satuday where I eat whatever I want drink whatever I want and then I'm back to business on Sunday. I was wondering if you have a cheat day and if so do eat whatever or do you just eat something you have wanted all week. Also do you think its a good idea to have a cheat day and go all out?

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't personally do have an assigned cheat day, but I do take days off once in a while. I think you gotta do what works for you.
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i never have a cheat day. i don't really feel the need to, because i eat something good every day.
  • ashley_bey
    ashley_bey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had cheat days but only on days like birthdays... when your going out to dinner. I don't give myself a cheat day during a normal week.
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ive been using MFP for about a month. Once in a while I would exercise a little extra, so that I could treat myself to something special (a bit of ice cream or big glass of chocolate milk). I did one full-out cheat day on Friday and ate whatever I wanted (a couple cookies, mozza sticks, panna cotta, huge salmon fillet, etc) . I think I was around 1400 calories over budget (I still logged it all on MFP). Personally, I wouldnt recommend doing a full cheat day, because I gained 2lbs overnight after that cheat day. So for me, it wasn't worth it in terms of weight/calories. Though I am glad I tried it once to see what the effects would be for me. Now I have absolutely no desire to try it again.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't have official cheat days, but I do allow myself to go over my calorie goals every so often. But I still track.
  • irsleepy2
    irsleepy2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I don't have a 'cheat day', but I do have a 'cheat meal' (once a week). 'I' could do WAY too much damage in a whole day, lol
  • kahulabeth
    Options
    My mother used to say "Don't treat yourself with food, your not a dog." Its stuck with me over the years and I don't have cheat days or meals because of it. Instead I eat whatever I like but adjust my portions or exercise a little harder. Although I'm trying to lose weight I'm also changing my lifestyle. Do you want to be hanging out for a treat day for the rest of your life? If you eat oversized portions one day then switch to soups for the next day. If you want a sundae try splitting it with a friend or only eat 1/2. In the end it's only food. Why not try treating yourself to a new book, dress or outing instead of food.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    My cheat days consist mostly of.......erm.....beverages. If you catch my drift.... If you're smellin what I'm stepping in...If youre catchin' what I'm pitchin'.
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a cheat day but by all means feel free to treat yourself to something you crave once in a while. I've learned from this site that it is not about dieting, it's about making lifestyle changes. I never deprive myself of the things I like but I am much more aware of what/how much I put into my body. And if I'm going to treat myself it usually motivates me to put a little bit extra into my workout so that it balances things out a bit better.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My cheat days consist mostly of.......erm.....beverages. If you catch my drift.... If you're smellin what I'm stepping in...If youre catchin' what I'm pitchin'.

I'm diggin your ditch and pickin up what your throwin down. : )

When I cheat (which is not often) I just eat up my deficit calories. My calorie deficit is set -750 so as long my calories dont go above that I wont gain anything but wont loose either.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just try to do moderation. If I feel like I am wanting to cheat I try to exercise or read a book or another ativity. If it is a social ocassion I explain to my friends what I am doing and ask them to excuse from eating desert or something that is not a right choice for me and then I try to remember why I wanted to get rid of the weight and become healthy . Summing it up I do try to keep under the calorie limit. I don't always succeed but I did not get fat unfit in one day so it will not come off in one day but I budget out my calories and carbs to keep me loosing a little every week. Even if it is only a half a pound a week!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days or meals. Who would i be cheating, myself?

I definitely have days when I eat over my calorie allowance, but that's not cheating, it's life. It's called "going out to dinner for my husband's birthday" or "eating a big piece of cake with coffee yesterday morning" or "I just ate too much crap today".

I just try to ensure that I have more days when I don't go over.

This may seem like semantics, but to me, words are powerful - deliberately deciding to "cheat", doesn't sit well with me. It implies that what I'm doing is hard and not sustainable and that's not the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life.
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thank you that might be why I gain some weeks. I will have to really think about this now.
  • lushunn32
    lushunn32 Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree with you on that. I'm glad I asked I sure don't want to be waiting on a cheat day for the rest of my life. I think if i do want that something that bad I will eat it just watch my portions.
  • kahulabeth
    Options
    I agree with you on that. I'm glad I asked I sure don't want to be waiting on a cheat day for the rest of my life. I think if i do want that something that bad I will eat it just watch my portions.

I think thats a great mindset to have. Good Luck :smile:
  • missy492
    missy492 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you go "all out" on cheat days, then you lose everything you achieved during the week. If you feel the need for a taste, simply count it in your daily calories. Or journal your calories on your cheat days and see if you think its worth it...
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    I do have "cheat" dinners,when I go out to eat. I don't bother with counting calories,and just add some extra treadmill work,the next day,to help make up for it. :happy:
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I never have cheat days. That would make me feel like I'm in prison the other days and living for the cheat days. I pretty much eat what I want just in small amounts. I do allow myself a splurge now and then, but I never go crazy with the calories. I don't want to have to lose any weight again. No food is good enough to be worth that IMO. I get the munchies, but I remind myself I am working toward a goal and I can't let myself down.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I do usually have a cheat day. Not a specific day. But, once a week I drink coors lite as many as I want. Oh so good.
  • pamary
    pamary Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :smile: Used to have cheat days and could never understand why the weight was not coming off. It really is calories in and calories burned. So there is no cheating for me now - If I have a big event planned, I try to eat egg whites for breakfast, light lunch, fruit or vegetables for snacks, aerobics and then enjoy the night party. No guilt and still get results! Good Luck!