Need birthday 'cake' ideas!!!

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The diet soda cake is awesome. Recipe on skinny taste.com.

Enjoy
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    these are all great ideas! I made my husband a pumpkin apple cake (using applesauce instead of any oils and as a sweetener). the frosting was still pretty high in calories though even though i used a reduced fat cream cheese with powdered sugar.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I would just have whatever dang cake you want...but i am one that thinks "cheating" is ok.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Answer this. Would you rather have:

1) Low cal cake with lots of chemicals and preservatives and other $%^& messing with your body, OR
    2) A natural cake with ingredients your body was made to digest and don't cause cancer or diabetes?

If 1, go ahead and eat man-made artificial sweeteners etc :)
    If 2, I would suggest a paleo cake.

Examples:
    Paleo German Choc Cake. Ingredients: eggs, maple syrup, butter, vanilla extract, coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, dark chocolate, pecans, heavy whipping cream, coconut flakes.
    Dark Choc Coconut Cake: eggs, honey, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, coconut oil, coconut flour, baking soda

Health is more than your weight or calories. It's your immune and inner health as well. Just my two pennies :)

Definitely option 2. I like the Dark chocolate coconut cake idea... mainly because of the honey and coconut.

Do you have a link or baking instructions on that?

http://letmegooglethat.com/
  • damehov77
    Options
    Angel food cake is low in calories. Get some fresh strawberries or any berry. Top with some fat free cool whip . Yummy, you can also add some sugar free pudding maybe chocolate.
    Happy Birthday's :smile:
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How about a Diet Coke cake? Buy a box of the reduced sugar Pillsbury cake mix and add a 12oz can of diet coke. Nothing else. Mix and bake according to the box directions. It's yummy.

You can also try different flavor variations, i.e., white cake mix with diet orange or raspberry. If you want frosting, you can use lite cool whip if you like that.

Just an idea. Good luck.

I love these cakes! Generally, I make them into cupcakes but it definitely tastes good and fills the sweet tooth craving. Also, the first time that I had this, I didn't even know that it was a diet cake. :) Definitely use some lite (I use FF cool whip!)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543

I prefer Devil's food w/ greek yogurt, and usually make cupcakes when I do this. It turns out really tasty and has a brownie type texture.

I've made the diet coke cake, and it's okay, not one of my favorites. Of all the substitutes (applesauce, greek yogurt, diet coke, etc...) greek yogurt is the best tasting.

Oh, - Happy Birthday!!! :drinker:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake with 1/3 less fat cream cheese mixed with strawberries would work. Or just leave out the cream cheese! Yum!

I never really liked birthday cake as a kid (yeah I was weird!) so my dad would always get me a watermelon, drill holes in the top of it and put candles in! He was a pilot so he'd 'buzz' my house with his plane then drive over later with my 'watermelon cake'. :)
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options

I never really liked birthday cake as a kid (yeah I was weird!) so my dad would always get me a watermelon, drill holes in the top of it and put candles in! He was a pilot so he'd 'buzz' my house with his plane then drive over later with my 'watermelon cake'. :)

Awwww!

lol I made a vodka watermelon for my birthday last year... I put candles on it too which was probably not the most intelligent thing I'd ever done.

I was also thinking of getting an edible arrangement thing or something like that as well because I don't plan on having a whole heck of a lot of whatever cake I end up making anyway.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just eat regular cake and don't go overboard.

This.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Try Strawberries in a Cloud. For the cake, make (or buy) an angelfood cake, turn it out of the pan right-side-up and let it cool COMPLETELY. Carefully cut the top 2 inches off the cake, making two intact rings (top and bottom. It helps if you gently slide a plate under the top as you cut it). Hollow out the center of the opened cake with a spoon, leaving an inch wall all around.

Make fat free frosting:

2 egg whites
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1 c. white corn syrup

Combine egg whites and syrup and beat mixture slowly until blended. On high speed, mix until peaks form. Add flavorings. Reserve 1/4 c. frosting in a bowl..

Slice 2-2-1/2 cups of fresh strawberries (sweetened with Truvia or something similar if you want). Save a few big berries. Stir the rest of the strawberries into the frosting and fill the cavity of the cake with the frosting mixture. Put the lid back on. Dot the top with dollops of frosting and top with reserved whole berries. Yummy! VERY low cal. You can add bananas if you like them.

Use any berries or soft fruit (apples need to be diced finely and mixed with cinnamon) for a change. Serve drizzled with sugar free chocolate syrup if you want. Happy birthday!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday, so indulge a little bit! Don't have some lazy-made boxed cake mix that's full of preservatives or some low-cal/low-everything cake that's going to disappoint and taste like cardboard. Have a REAL slice of cake and enjoy the crap out of it!
  • jac2lyn
    jac2lyn Posts: 90
    Options
    I love angel food cake with any fruit. For something fun and different get sugar free sundae syrup, the caramel kind and cut up apples. Either warm the apples with cinnamon and a drizzle of the caramel or just eat them nice and chilled with cinnamon and add the caramel to it. You can also do berries of course and use the chocolate syrup instead of caramel.
    Happy Birthday!!! (I dont wait for a birthday on this one, its too yummy):happy:
  • kmbrleykay
    Options
    bump for later
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday, so indulge a little bit! Don't have some lazy-made boxed cake mix that's full of preservatives or some low-cal/low-everything cake that's going to disappoint and taste like cardboard. Have a REAL slice of cake and enjoy the crap out of it!

This is exactly what I did. My best friend made me a perfect chocolate raspberry cake, and I got to decorate with homemade icing and sprinkles. I had a piece, loved it, and that was that. It was great!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pavlova with fat free whipping cream or cool whip & fresh berries.... YUMMMMMMM
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is probably -TOTALLY- not what you're looking for, but I make my mom Jello cake every year as she doesn't eat the real thing. (Not for any diet reason, but a kind of gross one, lol.)
    Basically, you take a trifle dish & make layers of jello, then unmold it, frost it with cool whip & stick candles on top.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Diet coke cake is tasty but it's not going to hold up well to being frosted and stacked assuming you do 2 cake layers? Instead, look on the box and use the low fat version which simply reduces the amount of oil, replacing it with some apple sauce. Otherwise look online for low fat recipes / cakes.

Flourless is good, it's nothing but eggs, butter and chocolate. (Good as in good tasting)

Frosting, you can make a protein frosting. Cut powdered sugar with protein powder and milk or water. It's about as simple as it gets. May not be full-fat tasting, but then again, you're wanting to save cals without sacrificing flavor so something has to give somewhere.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I did. My best friend made me a perfect chocolate raspberry cake, and I got to decorate with homemade icing and sprinkles. I had a piece, loved it, and that was that. It was great!

This is full of so much happy. :heart: