De-Lurking to Post my One-Year Success Pics!

Options

Replies

• jdennis719
    jdennis719 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story; you look amazing and should be SO proud of what you have accomplished!! It is quite significant and you should remember that. I'm relatively new and believe me, it does help to read success stories such as yours to keep me on track and to not get discouraged. give yourself a big pat on the back, as you certainly deserve it. BRAVO !!!
  • ZailieB
    ZailieB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, Thanks for sharing x
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Super pictures, thank you for sharing them. Wonder if I will ever be able to get both legs in an old pair of my trousers, must keep one pair!
  • ChrDG
    ChrDG Posts: 10
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
    I would like to run again, but I frequently get pain in my hips/legs/knees after workout at the gym. Been thinking of trying to change my running form to midfoot striking (chi running for example). I wonder if I am too heavy to let go of cushioned shoes (BMI 29,9). At which weight did you start using your Vibram shoes?
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    How motiviating!
    I'm just a smidgen over 5'4" and I don't think I've been under 120 lbs since 5th grade! I'm well over that now and was shooting for 145...but maybe I can do better than that.
    Thanks for posting!

Thanks! I'm so glad to hear that you found my story motivating. When it comes to goals in this sort of journey, I think it's important to both shoot for the stars and not be so unrealistic that you set yourself up for failure. (I've found it hard to balance between the two during my journey so far.) Remember that every body is different and 145 on you might well look like 120 on me. Find what makes you happy and what you can sustain long term. :)
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Thanks so much for giving me some hope! What a wonderfully written success story. I too am 5'4" and was shooting for 145 (I am 162 now - 4lbs down). I think the 120's are long gone for me - I'm over 40 and have had 3 children late in life - but now I'm thinking maybe somewhere in the 130's IS possible. Congratulations to you and your perserverance. So very inspiring. What a great post! :flowerforyou:

I'm a big believer in the fact that you don't know what you're capable of until you push yourself harder than you've ever pushed yourself before. I'm not advocating any sort of crazy fads or starving yourself or anything like that. We're all different, different bodies, different ages, different genetics, but I definitely discovered I was capable of way more than I thought I was, and I'm sure you are, too!
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Super pictures, thank you for sharing them. Wonder if I will ever be able to get both legs in an old pair of my trousers, must keep one pair!

I would definitely recommend keeping one pair and getting rid of *everything* else. I'm an organised, anal packrat, so I keep things "just in case". But this time, I told myself there was no "just in case" for my old clothes. I was *not* ever going to need them again. The day the Diabetes Association came and picked up the five garbage bags filled with old clothes was one of the highlights of my journey so far. :) (Even when I was feeling sentimental, I just reminded myself that by giving them away like this, I was potentially enabling someone else on a journey like mine to pick up a nice bargain to help them on their way down to a healthy size.)

I never imagined that I would be one of those people who lost enough weight to stand in one trouser leg, but I tried it anyway, and here I am. :) That one pair of jeans and shirt that I've kept serves as a reminder of where I came from and lets me take silly pics like the one that I posted--which is great motivation in those discouraged moments.
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow o.O Im currently 5'5 and weigh 194.8 as of last week 3/7 Wednesday, hopefully I can succeed as you have :D My goal is 130, havent weighed that much since high school.

I gained alot of my weight when I was pregnant with my son & never bothered to hit the gym afterwards, he's 5 now and my weight just kept going up, I hit 198 & decided I didnt want to be over 200 pounds. So I've been going to the fitness center Monday-Friday completing 20+ miles a week, (includes workout classes that are converted into miles)
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
    I would like to run again, but I frequently get pain in my hips/legs/knees after workout at the gym. Been thinking of trying to change my running form to midfoot striking (chi running for example). I wonder if I am too heavy to let go of cushioned shoes (BMI 29,9). At which weight did you start using your Vibram shoes?

Thanks. :)

I bought them when I was 167lb and had a BMI of 29.2 (so I'd just gotten out of the obese range and into the overweight range). I started C25K with them and have never run in any manner except with a midfoot strike. I definitely caution you to start out slowly; you can really hurt yourself if you go too quickly and don't give your muscles time to get used to the new motion.

When I bought the Vibrams, I was told to wear them around the house in 30-minute doses to start getting used to them. If you're already a runner, you shouldn't jump into your regular speed/length with the Vibrams but should build up in small increments as though you were a new runner again. As I understand it (though I'm far from an expert), the midfoot strike allows your calf muscles to absorb the impact as they were designed to do, helping prevent strain to hips/legs/knees. But if you strike wrong in the Vibrams, you'll have less padding to absorb the shock and could make it worse for your hips and knees.

I'm not running right now, but I wear the Vibrams at the gym for all my workouts (including to fencing class, where I get some strange looks, lol), and I'm seeing more and more people doing the same.

The store I bought them from let me buy them and try them out (as long as I didn't wear them outside) for a week to see what I thought of them; maybe you could find somewhere that would allow you to do that? Best of luck!
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this and well done you have made such an achievement! I love reading these stories and seeing people's hard work pay off with the amazing transformation. You are truly an inspiration to me and many others. Congratulations, I wish you the best for the future :)
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Wow o.O Im currently 5'5 and weigh 194.8 as of last week 3/7 Wednesday, hopefully I can succeed as you have :D My goal is 130, havent weighed that much since high school.

I gained alot of my weight when I was pregnant with my son & never bothered to hit the gym afterwards, he's 5 now and my weight just kept going up, I hit 198 & decided I didnt want to be over 200 pounds. So I've been going to the fitness center Monday-Friday completing 20+ miles a week, (includes workout classes that are converted into miles)

It sounds like you've come up with a challenge that works for you. I think the most important thing is finding activities that you enjoy and a lifestyle that you can maintain; it doesn't do us any good to do something completely unrealistic that we can't continue with, because then we'll put all the weight back on. Keep up the great work!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your success!:flowerforyou:
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow great work
  • fitphoenix
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your positive feedback! It's what I love about this site and why I spend so much time on the success stories threads. :)
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    wow! u look awesome. so happy 4 u. ;o)
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Super job! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    WOW! I mean all I can say is wow! Thank you for sharing and inspiring and paying it forward. WOW!
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    Wow - your pictures are so inspiriing! Thanks for posting them!
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love the two legs in one pants leg pictures! They are like the quintessential weight loss shot from the 90's or something.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!