A bad day :(

Options
Today was a bad day. I made bad choices and now I feel, you guessed it, bad. What I KNOW I need to do is not let this be the beginning of the end. It's what I've done in the past. As soon as I have a bad day, I chuck it all in and go back to bad habits.

I've done so well for about 10 weeks now. I've lost over 30 pounds. I NEED to just let go of today and start fresh tomorrow. Technically, I haven't even gone over my numbers but it feels like a failure day because I ate impulsively.

I was hoping I was done with this unhealthy mindset but clearly that was unrealistic. Does anyone else struggle like this???

Replies

• mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Just don't let one bad day lead to more bad days in a row and you will be fine. Exercise a little harder and you will feel better!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!! Honestly, you should be VERY proud of your progress! Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has a bad day! The best thing you can do is to remember that tomorrow is a new day! Change doesn't happen overnight, and breaking unhealthy habits are much harder to do than people think! Just learn from today, and make tomorrow a better one! :flowerforyou:
  • cirhossa1
    Options
    Absoloutely!

However, I've been given invaluable advice;

Forget saying a bad day, make it a moment instead...

This really works - the lady I spoke to said if you open a box of chocolates you could either say 'its a bad day and I might as well finish the lot, or you could say its a bad moment and I've had one chocolate!

Don't be too harsh with yourself and don't expect to be perfect, you've obviously done brilliantly and just had a 'moment'!

Good luck :-)
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You have done awesome!!!! And yes, we all have those kind of days....most definitely!
  • silvercat64
    Options
    The way I see it, SEVENTY days (ten weeks) of sticking to it and making good choices can't be erased by ONE "bad day". Don't beat yourself up over it. :flowerforyou:

Was there anything in particular that triggered the impulsiveness? Is it something you can plan for or avoid next time?
  • kao1114
    kao1114 Posts: 51
    Options
    NEWSFLASH! You are human! :)
    NEWSFLASH Part Deux! You are not perfect! ;);)
    Let it go. Forgive yourself. You have made such great strides. Don't let this one day throw you off-track.
    Are you going to let these last 24 hours get in the way of the progress you made over the last 1680 hours (or 10 weeks)? Nah - you are stronger than that!
    We have all been there. It's where you go from here that counts. Best of luck to you!
  • omen25th
    omen25th Posts: 5
    Options
    This happens from time too time, everyone has there bad days and good days, but if you focus on your end result or goal then keep that in mind, I often tell myself this, " every morning i can wake up either feeling a little bit better or a little bit worst how i start tomorrow depends on what i do today " hope it helps
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Today was a bad day. I made bad choices and now I feel, you guessed it, bad. What I KNOW I need to do is not let this be the beginning of the end. It's what I've done in the past. As soon as I have a bad day, I chuck it all in and go back to bad habits.

I've done so well for about 10 weeks now. I've lost over 30 pounds. I NEED to just let go of today and start fresh tomorrow. Technically, I haven't even gone over my numbers but it feels like a failure day because I ate impulsively.

I was hoping I was done with this unhealthy mindset but clearly that was unrealistic. Does anyone else struggle like this???

30 lbs in 10 weeks?!? AMAZING!!!

Everyone struggles, but you are here and making yourself accountable which is a big step in the right direction!!
    Just get back at it tomorrow..

Good luck!
  • iluvmycats
    iluvmycats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    you have def. come a long way and yes those setbacks seem so insurmountable, but they arent! We all have those days, some times several days where we cant control our cravings, our emotions our whatever. Its going to take time to undo those bad habits and that not even to say they go away for ever. Its so much easier to look at ourselves as failures bc its what we are so used to.

Be forgiving of yourself for the day and yes, pick up and make tomorrow even better. Celebrate those 30 lbs lost!!!

If you need any extra support this is a great place to find it. Feel free to add me if you want!
    You are not alone in this, so many ppl on MFP are in that boat!!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

EVERYONE has bad days. Everyone. At least you've recognized that this was a bad day - and you can move on from it. Don't let the bad days control you, you control them! Stay positive and move on. :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Jesus - ten pounds in thirty weeks?! You've done a crazy job!! Have a day, and start over fresh in the morning. This is your life now, learning how to have 'good' and 'bad' days.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    yup!!!! like you said, just start fresh!!! drink some tea and you'll feel better! :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you get a flat tire, do you get out and slash all the others? NOPE!

Everyone has those days. No worries. You got this. :flowerforyou:
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    One bad day does NOT mean your work is worthless.

It just means one bad day.

We ALL give in to our impulses every once in a while. But one bad day won't even gain you a few ounces (except maybe in water weight), and you said you didn't even go over your calorie amount!

Give yourself credit for being human. You're not a machine. You will occasionally fall outside your goals. Let that spur you to work even harder on them for the next 10 weeks.

You can do it!
  • lozzae85
    lozzae85 Posts: 35
    Options
    Its only one day. Its not the end of the world! And in proportion to how well you have done so far its nothing!

I would say log what you had and be honest then start afresh from tomorrow :) You can do it you have done so well already!
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Get back on track as soon as you can! Last week Wed - Sun were absolutely horrid for me food-wise. Now I feel like a big pile of goo today and it's hard to get going after than long. Stay strong, keep your head up and think of all that you've already accomplished! You can do it! This little setback is NO BIGGIE! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You're far enough along to not let a bad day sidetrack you. I could see it being harder if you were in your first couple of weeks, but I say just suck it up, move on and keep up the great work you know you can do!
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Nope, keep going!! I will not lie, I love food :love: fast food and sweets are my frenemies!! I allow myself one day a month to not think about loosing weight at all! No "workouts" and I eat what everI want for 1 day, then it is back to grind...tends to help me keep going with out the guilt. Otherwise I do the same thing, one bad day I quit :blushing:

So, brush it off and pick up tomorrow as a new day you can do it!! :wink:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    if I have a total crap day I like to go ahead and eat all the junk I want to get it out of my system ... prolly not for everyone thou
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Everyone has days like that. Just go with the 80/20 principle. As long as you eat healthfully and exercise 80 percent of the time, don't beat yourself up over the 20 percent where you indulged a little bit. This is a lifestyle change, which means you are allowed to have treats every now and then without completely blowing it. Tomorrow is a brand new day and will be what you make of it! Good luck! :flowerforyou: