Starting to think weight loss is just a myth!

Options

Replies

• missfancy1980
    Options
    I'm going to take some pics tomorrow, then again in a couple of weeks and keep doing it for the next few months. I'll try to incorporate more/ harder weight training. I have a session with my PT on thursday so I will ask him about it. Right now we are focusing more on the TRX. I have American friends who are exotic dancers and absolutely swear by body sculpting, which is basically weight training to get the shape you want, so I have read up quite a bit on it. It's just that everyone who suggests it is far more ripped/ muscly than i ever want to be, so it makes me very nervous lol.

Anyway I'll give it a shot and try to be patient.

Thanks for bearing with my incessant posts on basically the same topic :laugh: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Myth: Muscle growth happens quickly! You'll wake up one day and be ripped!
    Fact: It takes forrrrrevvvvverrrrrrr to grow muscle ... anyone who wants muscle growth will attest to this.

Myth: Smooth curves come from un-toned muscles
    Fact: Smooth curves come from a layer of fat OVER the muscles. Take away the fat, take away the smooth curves.

Here are more facts:
    -Muscle helps burn calories. Having more muscle means you burn more calories while your body is at rest.
    -At a certain age, we start to lose about 15% of our muscle mass each year! As you get older, it's harder to burn the calories.
    -It is possible to add muscle, lose some fat, and still have smooth curves. Really! :happy:

Quoted for truth. You will NOT bulk up by lifting weights. YOU WILL NOT BULK UP.

You won't. You will not bulk up from lifting weights.

If you see a woman with defined muscles, like the woman in the blog linked above, know these things:
    1. She is flexing to make her muscles stick out
    2. It's not so much that her muscles are huge but the layer of fat above her muscles is small
    3. She works 100x harder at developing muscles than you ever will - you will not get to where she is by accident.

No woman - or man - will bulk up to a level that is displeasing without some SERIOUS work. You can't even imagine what it takes for those folks to get there.

You are really doing yourself a disservice ignoring resistance training because you think you're going to turn in to a WWE wrestler. It's like being afraid of the shower because you can't swim.

:heart:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    honey I feel your pain! I have been a member for over 6 months and I feel the frustration of the plateau and many people have great advice just not sure if it the best for everyone. Everyone is different and we all have to find our path but right now im stuck as well so I feel that same exact way! Ive adjusted my water, changed my diet, cut out things, added things! I am beyonded frustrated!

Hang in there....

With you there. So peeved at the moment I keep wanting to do something really shocking, like cheesecake or a banana sandwich.
    but ultimately I don't.
    Then stand on the scales in th emorning and it's the same again... or worse lately I keep going up by 0.2lb. Not much but they add up and I'm going mad with frustration.
    Someone tell me why this is? I do exercise but never tried weights. Wouldn't know where to begin tbh.
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ok, here goes, and I hope I don't offend you! I just looked at your diary (only the last three days I admit), but I think you could clean up your food. Try cutting out most of the processed food and try a diet of lean meats, salads, natural yoghurt, vegies, eggs, brown rice, quinoa, fish, etc. Stay away from anything and everything with added sugar/sugar content of more than 5-10gms per 100gms. Hope that helps, and I really wish you well. You're not that far from your goal, and I know when I'm down to my last 15lbs I'm going to struggle too. Lifting heavy as the other members have suggested is definitely the way to go! Lots of luck, keep us posted.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lift weights! Seriously.

In the beginning of my healthy lifestyle change, I was doing lots of cardio (Read: elliptical) and eating less. I lost weight but I still looked flabby and felt flabby and awful, basically.

Fast forward - I've been lifting weights, incorporating cardio into my weight training (think 30 day shred or Insanity or P90x) and getting amazing results. I've lost about 15 pounds, and dropped two dress sizes. The goofy part is that I still weigh about 167 but! I'm now a Size 8! (Two different pairs of pants, one jean, one dress pants - can't be lying to me right?!) I know for a fact that I've been 167 and could not squeeze into a size 8. Period.

So in short, the number doesn't matter on the scale. What matters are your inches, like you said, and possibly even GAINING weight (in muscle) to reach the figure that you want. Most likely you'll lose some weight and gain some muscle. but like MissFancy no matter what I do my weight never seems to change. So was wondering how long did it take for you to see results?

Seriously though, read up on weight training and its benefits. Women tend to be very uninformed (I was one of them!) on what it actually means and all of the fabulous benefits that come with it.

Good luck!

How long did it take of doing weights before you saw any real differences? I was having the same problem so I started (again) with weight lifting at the beginning of the year and try for 2-4 weight sessions a week depending on if I have time between and school. I feel like there is no real differences, nor does the scale/tape measurement say so.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Ok, here goes, and I hope I don't offend you! I just looked at your diary (only the last three days I admit), but I think you could clean up your food. Try cutting out most of the processed food and try a diet of lean meats, salads, natural yoghurt, vegies, eggs, brown rice, quinoa, fish, etc. Stay away from anything and everything with added sugar/sugar content of more than 5-10gms per 100gms. Hope that helps, and I really wish you well. You're not that far from your goal, and I know when I'm down to my last 15lbs I'm going to struggle too. Lifting heavy as the other members have suggested is definitely the way to go! Lots of luck, keep us posted.

Thanks hun, no offense taken. I have no money for food shopping so haven't bought any fresh food in a couple of days. If you look back beyond 3 days you will see it was mainly rice cakes, fresh fruit and veg etc. I don't eat meat!
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    in that pic i hadn't exercised for 30 years hahaha!!

I wish I looked like that for not exercising :) I feel like I do not eat enough to have earned my fat. You are blessed!!!!

Definitely pick one angle of weight loss and keep that up. For you, you probably just need the exercise more than the eating since it seems you are pretty good with that.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's just that everyone who suggests it is far more ripped/ muscly than i ever want to be, so it makes me very nervous lol.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've been suggesting it to you for a couple of weeks now and I'm still all soft and squishy (for now).
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I eat at 1,200 calories, i eat at 3,000 calories, i exercise more, i exercise less.... i still haven't lost any weight (lost 1lb the first week which i'm assuming was water). Starting to think some people are genetically pre-dipositioned to keep weight on no matter what, barring illness/ weight loss surgery. Getting really ticked off with all the posts on here about eating more calories/ eating less/ eating at or below or above BMR. It's all confusing and disheartening and really wish someone would just tell me the magic formula.

I'm sorry to say but there really is no magic formula... You have to find what is right for your body and what works then stick to it... I personally had destroyed my metabolism with crash diet after crash diet and had to increase my calories to a normal/maintaining range until I STOPPED gaining weight, and then was able to decrease again... I'm still working at repairing the mess I made of my body... but only you can decide what is right for you... Play around with your different numbers and see what works to take the weight off and then just stick with it... persistence is the key... if you do the right thing eventually the weight will come off... You just have to stick with it...
  • omen25th
    omen25th Posts: 5
    Options
    Try not too complicate the process weight loss is pretty simple eat right eat less to loss weight and just consume less calories but exercise aswell ,
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I don't know if this was posted, 'cuz I skipped page 2, but if you're worried about heavy weight training turning you into a steroid lookin' meathead, it won't happen. Can't, not without lots of supplements. So read about Staci, stop trying to lose weight, and get to powerlifting. Trust me, you will get to the clothing size you want.

I'm at goal, I'm a guy, but that's irrelevant to my point. :laugh: I'm 5'7" and weigh 208 pounds. I'm at 16% body fat, and am wearing smaller clothing sizes than back when I was 18 and weighed 170. The weight on the scale pretty much means NOTHING.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • omen25th
    omen25th Posts: 5
    Options
    crash dieting happens when you go too hard too fast your body needs insuling soo just take it slow
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    It's just that everyone who suggests it is far more ripped/ muscly than i ever want to be, so it makes me very nervous lol.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've been suggesting it to you for a couple of weeks now and I'm still all soft and squishy (for now).

Point taken.... not that you're soft and squishy though haha:laugh:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1,200 calories, i eat at 3,000 calories, i exercise more, i exercise less.... i still haven't lost any weight (lost 1lb the first week which i'm assuming was water). Starting to think some people are genetically pre-dipositioned to keep weight on no matter what, barring illness/ weight loss surgery. Getting really ticked off with all the posts on here about eating more calories/ eating less/ eating at or below or above BMR. It's all confusing and disheartening and really wish someone would just tell me the magic formula.

Read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

^^^ Read this and this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html

Lyle McDonald knows his *kitten*. Do yourself a favour and pick one strategy and stick to it for at least a few months.

1) Figure out your TDEE and subract 15%.
    2) Hit your macros every day (1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, about 0.5 g of fat per lb and the rest in carbs. You can customize your macros under GOALS).
    3) start a strength training program like the New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength. You'll thank yourself later.

If you need help figuring out your TDEE let me know.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    At 5'6 and 130 you're at a perfectly healthy weight. Perhaps, your body is defending this weight because it's a HEALTHY and DESIRABLE weight for you. I understand that everyone has goals but perhaps eating at maintenance and lifting weights will shape your body and get you closer to looking the way you want.

I don't think getting to 115 pounds is necessarily the answer.

^^^ This - your weight seems fine, toning might be a better approach.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I'm at 16% body fat, and am wearing smaller clothing sizes than back when I was 18 and weighed 170.

That's AWESOME! Congrats:drinker: Gives me hope, thank you
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Everyone has really good advice. I know how you are feeling in regards to wanting a certain size. Right now I am fighting against the grain with friends and family who were once so supportive. They see me as thin now and assume that I can drop the "diet" and do the things that I once did. I however, want those last 6 lbs to come off and then KEEP them off forever. This means that my lifestyle change will have to last FOREVER. I'm prepaired for that.

While I agree with everyone on the topic of lifting, I need to add one more thing that has really influenced the shape of my body. That is running. Even back at 160# I had already gotten into a size 8 jeans for the first time since junior high school. In comparison, I lost down to 160 about 10 years ago and was wearing size 14-16. I run outside in a hilly area so I get strength work in with my cardio. It has lifted and tightened my tush, sculpted my legs, and strengthened my core. When I'm not doing a long run or speed work, I do a leisurely jog with hand weights.

That being said, I have recently started adding on more resistence and strength training to fine tune my progress. I mostly just lift my body weight....ie push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats, burpees....those sorts of things. I have only last week started actually lifting weights again.

I wish all the success in the world. While I do think it's important for us to stay realistic and not become obsessed, noone can set our goals for us. If you feel you need to lose those two sizes, go for it!
  • srenebailey
    srenebailey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should give it time to work. I will tell you that I felt the same way you feel, very frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!! I will tell you what is working for me. I decided that I am going at this full-force. Not just eating right. Not just exercising. Not just counting calories. Not just choosing more physical ways to go out with friends/family. I do it all! I make sure I consult with my doctor about what I am doing. I know that all these things are tools, not end-all ways to lose weight. I take a fat blocker. I wear my body shaper, I exercise every day, burning about 700 calories a day. I choose healthy foods. I am fully dedicated to this losing weight thing. I don't weigh myself often because it is so frustrating and stressful. I understand that a woman's body weight will fluctuate so much that I will drive myself insane trying to keep up. I stay on here because I get so much support from people who are in the same boat I'm in. So, I am offering to be your support too. Keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, it took years for you to gain that weight, and it may take a really long time for you to lose it. Stay encouraged, and most of all, trust God who wants you to be healthy and strong.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    At 5'6 and 130 you're at a perfectly healthy weight. Perhaps, your body is defending this weight because it's a HEALTHY and DESIRABLE weight for you. I understand that everyone has goals but perhaps eating at maintenance and lifting weights will shape your body and get you closer to looking the way you want.

I don't think getting to 115 pounds is necessarily the answer.

^^^ This - your weight seems fine, toning might be a better approach.

Thanks but I WANT to lose some lbs. I don't care if i get to 115 or not, but i am 100% certain i'm not going to get into size 8 jeans without losing some, weight training or not!
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    Again I don't want to offend you either but I had a look over your diary and the 10 or so days I looked at at least 7 or 8 of them were either over on calories or over on fat.
    I have realised that unless I'm hyper aware of my calories its so easy to ruin all my hard work.

Please don't take offence!
    x