Insanity Week 5- No results

Options
I just started week 5 of insanity and have only lost 4lbs and zero inches off my waist and hips. I am very frustrated. The nutrition guide suggests I eat 2000 calories to lose weight. I am eating 1600 calories and am eating healthy foods, but not following the recipes on the nutrition guide. I am 5'8 174 lbs female. Want to lose 30 lbs. I am so desperate to change my body and am feeling increasingly hopeless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I suggest taking pictures. When I did Insanity the scale only moved 10 pounds, but my before and after pictures told the real story. I lost several inches from areas that you don't even measure. (you don't measure every inch of your body)

Stick with it. It is impossible to do insanity and eat less than you burn and not change. Good luck.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    10lbs in 5 weeks is a good rate - that's 2lbs a week - the reccomended amount. You could always lower your intake to 1400 to switch it up.
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 and i have not lost a pound, infact, I gained 4. BUT I took before and progress pictures and there are BIG changes. I would take pictures!!! Stick with it!!!
  • AmyNaylor7205
    AmyNaylor7205 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am on week 9 of insanity, (saturday is my last day) and oh how I feel your pain. I have only lost about 3 lbs through these 9 weeks BUT i have lost 12 inches total off my body and that didnt really start to happen until like week 6ish. Keep it up and hang in there! remember muscle weighs more than fat! Feel free to add me if you have more questions.

and DEF take pics!!!!!
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Im doing P90x, which is another Beachbody program. When those programs advise you to eat a certain number of calories, you should listen or try you hardest do eat as close to that number as possible. They tell you to eat that number for a reason. If you are 400 calories off, that is a big deal. That is likely the reason why you are not losing like you are suppose to be. My Beachbody coach warned me about that already.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Take pictures from all angles and make sure you take measurements from all over.

I lost an inch and a half off my waist and hips in 6 weeks but I also took off inches in my thighs and arms as well.

Had I not taken pictures from all angles, I never would have seen the massive decrease in back fat.
  • pineapplepastry
    pineapplepastry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also just finished week 5. Started at 136, went down to 132.8, went up to 137, and last check back down to 134. I too am frustrated with the program. That being said, someone who I had not seen for 1 month told me it looked like I lost a lot of weight. I was super surprised to hear this and in my neurotic brain thought to myself gosh, how big did I look before because I feel like I look the same. My 1 month before and after pictures don't show much change. I keep hearing the results come in month 2 so I plan on sticking with it.
  • RedfishGuy
    RedfishGuy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Started Week 8 today. Today was the Max Interval Training vid, and it was the first time I could complete an Insanity vid without taking a break. A great feeling watching the folks in the video falling out, and I was able to keep going. That said, I'm wrecked this afternoon.

About the weight loss. I lost no weight during the first 4 weeks and gained weight during the Recovery Week. Then came the second month, and I'm down about 7 lbs over the past two weeks. Also have dropped 4% of my body fat over the past 7 weeks. Stick it out (you're this far into it, you can't quit now). Everyone says the last month is where you get results, I thought that was just cliche. Now I'm in sight of the finish line and I'm a believer.

I'm no nutritional expert, but I'd eat closer to your recommended daily caloric intake. Whenever I have a light eating day recently (600-700 under where I should be), I'm wiped out the next morning and my workout suffers.

Good luck!
  • Mdidi123
    Mdidi123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice guys! I will stick it out through the end, go by the pics, and consider increasing my calories.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    I can help you out. I've completed Insanity twice last year, currently on round 3 because I'm addicted. Feel free to add me if you'd like (don't always check back on these threads).

First of all, I think you should start eating a little more...try a couple hundred more calories...high protein/low carb calories! Do you drink protein shakes by chance? Also, no offense met but how are you keeping up with the workout? I had a friend join me during my second round but she "cheated" the workout and didn't really try or push it. That would mean you aren't burning as much and should eat less. It can go both ways. I took before and after pics. My first month I didn't lose much weight...But the pix showed a whole new story! Month 2 is where I lost the most; it's called results month ;P Don't give up. Again, add me if you'd like! :)
  • Chrisgarcia1287
    Options
    Definitely stick with it. Use this site to guide your intakes. I'd recommend no more than 15% fat. 55% carbs and 30% protein. Or maybe even shoot for 40% protein and 45% carbs.

Keeping your sugar and fat levels down leaned me up pretty fast, and as long as your eating good carbs, your going to use it for energy. Especially with intense workouts like Insanity.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor to keep a check on your calories burned. Also, I do Insanity as does my girlfriend. I have lost weight rapidly whereas she has not. She lost about 8lbs the first round. Men just burn calories quicker. Just keep working. It takes TIME!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If the insanity guide said ear 2000, eat 2000. The lowest intake while on that program is 1700. Why go under that???
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    today I started my 7th week.

Let´s see....since I started Insanity I have learned many things:

First of all, Insanity is not a weight loss program (do not get dissapointed, I know, it happened to me, that was my original motivation when I started), instead, Insanity is a workout program to lose fat (not necessarily lot of weight) and mainly to gain endurance and get fit.

My story is: I lost nearly nothing during my first weeks, I was getting irritated and so frustrated but somehow I started "feeling" my gut was getting smaller. At this exact point I also started using MFP, and believe it or not I discovered I was seriously undereating!! I could not believe it, me undereating, must be kidding ( I am eating expert :D) ?? But once I started logging in my food I discovered I was eating less than 1000 net calories a day. That was an eye-opener for me, then, I started increasing my caloric intake and at the same tame I took my scale and hide it in the back of my closet.

Ignoring the scale, I kept going with insanity giving 100% even when I was tired or feeling lazy. I finished month 1 and again I was "felling" my belly dissapearing day by day. I did the recovery week and the 1st week of month 2 (it was heellll!) and also increased my caloric intake and I rapidly started noticing my pants and shirts were lose and moving all over around me. Also some members of my family and work colleagues (that I had not seen in few weeks) weretelling me OMG you look flat!

Last sunday I decided to take my scale out of the closet and to my surprise I had lost 7 lb! Most of it (I am sure) happened during the 1st week of month 2. My theory is that Month 1 builds muscle (that explains the lack of weight loss) and Month 2 burns fat and lots!!!

So , to be short my advice is: keep going, dig deeper, and you will see results. I know that for people like me (obese) our "body transformation dream" wont happen miraculously, I am planning to take another round (after 1 week rest) and if needed to take a 3rd.

you will see results! do not worry :D

excuse my bad english, I am not a native speaker :D hablo español lol :D
  • noreenhaq
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? I am not an expert or anything, but when i was trying to lose weight after my first child, the personal trainer calculated my aerobic heart rate (fat burning heart rate) the low end and the high end, She said to stay within those ranges to make sure i am burning fat. Go higher than the highest target heart rate and you are in the anaerobic phase of your heart rate and you are building endurance not burning fat. Go lower and you are not doing anything. A heart rate monitor would help you gauge your heart rate. It doesn't matter how many calories you burn, from what I understood if you are not in your target heart rate zone. An easy way to calculate your heart rate is... 220-(your age) x .60= (low end target heart rate) and 220-(your age) x .85 or .90= your high end target heart rate. Good luck.
  • DrScrappy
    Options
    today I started my 7th week.

Let´s see....since I started Insanity I have learned many things:

First of all, Insanity is not a weight loss program (do not get dissapointed, I know, it happened to me, that was my original motivation when I started), instead, Insanity is a workout program to lose fat (not necessarily lot of weight) and mainly to gain endurance and get fit.

My story is: I lost nearly nothing during my first weeks, I was getting irritated and so frustrated but somehow I started "feeling" my gut was getting smaller. At this exact point I also started using MFP, and believe it or not I discovered I was seriously undereating!! I could not believe it, me undereating, must be kidding ( I am eating expert :D) ?? But once I started logging in my food I discovered I was eating less than 1000 net calories a day. That was an eye-opener for me, then, I started increasing my caloric intake and at the same tame I took my scale and hide it in the back of my closet.

Ignoring the scale, I kept going with insanity giving 100% even when I was tired or feeling lazy. I finished month 1 and again I was "felling" my belly dissapearing day by day. I did the recovery week and the 1st week of month 2 (it was heellll!) and also increased my caloric intake and I rapidly started noticing my pants and shirts were lose and moving all over around me. Also some members of my family and work colleagues (that I had not seen in few weeks) weretelling me OMG you look flat!

Last sunday I decided to take my scale out of the closet and to my surprise I had lost 7 lb! Most of it (I am sure) happened during the 1st week of month 2. My theory is that Month 1 builds muscle (that explains the lack of weight loss) and Month 2 burns fat and lots!!!

So , to be short my advice is: keep going, dig deeper, and you will see results. I know that for people like me (obese) our "body transformation dream" wont happen miraculously, I am planning to take another round (after 1 week rest) and if needed to take a 3rd.

you will see results! do not worry :D

excuse my bad english, I am not a native speaker :D hablo español lol :D

This feedback was good for me. Thanks.
  • crunchymnky
    Options
    You really need to be careful not to undereat. It really does make a difference. I was eating 1600 calories a day and couldn't figure out why I stopped losing weight. I ended up getting the body bug and discovered I burn about 2600 to 2700 calories a day. That left me with a 1000 calorie deficit. And that's if I don't work out. After the first week of monitoring my calories burned Iincreased my intake to 1800 - 1900 and now I lose 1lb a weeek. Maybe a little more. And that's without working out. I plan on starting instanity when I start my 6 week vacation and I will definitly increase my calorie intake.
  • shamah84
    shamah84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how Insanity went for you. I know this post is super old but I'm planning on trying Insanity out. I've done P90X and loved it. I plan on going back to it once I am close to my goal but I heard Insanity is more cardio so I want to try it out. :)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just finished up week 3 and I am loving it. I feel so much more energetic and have lost about #4 already. I was stuck at the same weight for a few months, so this is a welcome change. Good Luck!
  • shamah84
    shamah84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am getting anxious to start Insanity today. I wish more people posted on here about their results :)