Does age difference on Here, bother you? =)

Options
13»

Replies

• imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    i relate to any age really. i dont relate to men though when it comes to dieting...they have it easy so i resent them =) plus i can talk to women easieer
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nope, age is fairly low down on the list for me. I look for people with similar goals firstly (people who eat properly and exercise a lot), then perhaps people at a similar point in their fitness plan, and then location (although not essential I do like to look at people's food diaries for ideas).
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Doesnt bother me. I have friends that are older and some much younger. Age is a state of mind(or sometimes lack of it).:wink::laugh:
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am over twice your age, but most of my fat is about the same age as you. So that works.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Age makes no difference to me for the younger i have been there for the same i feel what you are going through for the older i'll be there. It's all good learning is learning no matter what age
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My peeps here span many age groups, geographical locations, political and religious alignments, etc. and I love it that way. While I often feel like the "old lady" in the group, it's fun and interesting to see things from so many perspectives.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Do you like to have friends on here the similar age group as you? Or arnt you fusssed? :smile:

Im 19 years old, and theres not really many young people like me on here, im friends with a few that are either the same age, few years younger or few years older.. Most of my awsome friends are either a bit older than me, or a bit more older than me! But it doesnt bother me at all =) Its actually nice to have friends of all ages on here.

Soo, what do you prefer? :)

it's the internet, age really is just a number on the internet.

i've met 40 yr olds who act 15 and 15 yr olds who act 40.... and who knows, they could have been lying about their age
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, but I notice I tend to talk more to older people (24-40).
    So... Age doesn't bother me, personally.

Older people is 24-40? Where's my Geritol....
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have rejected friend requests because I thought the people were too young and something inadvertant, and/or innappropriate might be said.
    I will say, that some of my "MFP PALS" are younger and are also iinspiring and I hope they say the same about me.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't matter. No one has all the right answers, or is THE Guru of health. Perspectives from all walks are welcome.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number....It is all about how you feel. I am 45 years old....all 3 of my children are in their 20's...and I like keeping up with them. By boyfriend is almost 57....and we have so much fun together....It really doesn't matter how old someone is.
  • shellyfoster
    Options
    i like my boys young.

as for girls - only those older than me are my friends. and i have to be prettier.

ahaha i thought this was funny.

but for me i don't mind what age people are, when they're closer to my age i feel i can relate more to them more, but in general it doesn't matter because we're all just here to motivate and help each other out :)
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No, age doesn't bother me on here....it's just a number.:)
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Age doesn't bother me. I know a lot of people younger or older than me here on mfp, and real life.

I do kinda have a thing though, I'm 40 and the last 4 years trying to have a baby. I've gone through a lot in the last 4 years and 5 miscarries. So age does get to me when I see a twentysomething saying something or complain about trying to have a baby and yet has no idea whats its like for older women have issues of fertiltiy but then not a lot of people know what's really going on. For that reason my fertility friends are closer to my age for me, a better connection.

Support from all people regardless of age is wonderful!!
  • AmyJo54915
    AmyJo54915 Posts: 103
    Options
    Most of my friends on here are pretty close to my age, and all are women...we all started out well over 250, so we know what each other is going through. I don't really think age is much of an issue, it's your common ground that's important :wink:
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have any friends over the age of 58. Doesn't bother me if someone is older than that, just haven't had them send a request (nor have I seen them be awesome and sent my own).

I wonder how many 60+ folks are on here though?

Most of my pals are between 25-40, just like me.

You'd be surprised at the amount of older fitness "pals" on this site. I am one of them, at age 57. For all of our younger fitness pals, never take your youth for granted. Take advantage of your energy and strength while you have it to push yourself forward. Now that I'm 57 1/2 years old, I wish I would have started this journey 10 years ago. I used all the excuses I could back then, particularly that of an exhausted, overworked, single, working, mother of two extremely rambunctious boys. I never took the time to take care of myself. Now that I am an empty nester, there are no excuses. It is truly harder to lose weight after menopause. I've lost 40 pounds since July 24, 2011 an eight-month process. When I was 17, I lost 115 pounds in that same amount of time!

Please remember this: Always take time to care for yourself. I've been fat, thin and all sizes in between. At 5'3", my happiest times were when I weighed 125 pounds. I wish I could have had this tool (myfitnesspal.com) when I was younger. I would like to think that maybe I would have read some helpful advice to get me through those times when I gave up on myself.

Young people make me feel young: Yesterday, I spent two hours listening to various music with my 18-year-old son. I learned about ska music and he listened to some of my favorite Santana tunes. (I still have my album of Black Magic Woman, purchased when it first came out!) I get much inspiration from people my age as well as those who are older. I'm appreciative of my excellent health, grateful that I can continue on this journey to becoming a better me.

We fitness pals have common goals and it's wonderful that we are able to interact, to share . . . our journeys, our dreams. :flowerforyou:
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No. But random capitalization Does.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have MFP friends aged 18 to 60+. Age makes no difference to me. All of MFP friends have the same goals in mind so we seem to fit well together. I do find however that I communicate more with the ones closest to my age.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I guess it's finding people with similar fitness goals and who are easy to relate to. I read my feeds regularly and enjoy the postings and goings on of people on my friend's list, who seem to be similar in age to me, but also similar in outlook, sense of humor, interests, etc. Besides I don't feel 40, and I prolly don't act it, so I'm pretty open to any age group. :)