Q for those that workout in the morning....

Options

Replies

• Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I eat a banana or apple before i work out...then 30 mins after i have a shake or oatmeal...it works for me:)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I do not eat before an AM workout - it makes me ill.

I typically eat about an hour after the WO because that's my only option in the rush to get everyone out the door (I eat once I get to work).
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat first, just have my coffee then workout....then get ready for work, then eat then...off to work! :)
  • tyler1lind
    Options
    I work out each morning at 6:30 AM. I have some yogurt and granola before heading to the gym. After the workout, I usually have a couple of eggs (protein).
  • ssavre
    ssavre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally tend to not eat prior to a workout but sometimes have dire consequences. What I have read and "heard" is to have a piece of fruit or something and for sure drink water prior to exercise. I don't think there is a set time to wait after exercising and I am usually hungry enough to have breakfast immediately after I've cooled off a bit. Hope this helps! :)
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Get my son on the bus, workout, make a protein shake to eat on my way to work.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so as soon as I get up, I work out, I take a shower, and THEN I eat breakfast.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    On days I do just cardio I don't eat because then I start with low blood sugar and the body immediately starts to burn from reserves...you burn more fat.

On days I do strength training I eat an hour before. It makes a big difference in my energy level and overall intensity.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i get up at 4:45 head to the gym, drink a bottle of water come home shower, get the kiddo up, lunches ready, drop him off at daycare then eat a cereal bar or drink a protein shake on the way to work. so probally 1.5-2 hours later. i benn wondering the same thing!
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do eat before and have a protein shake after. My breakfast usually is a banana, whole wheat bread, peanut butter, cup of coffee. Then cycling to the gym (about 10 min), doing my lifting, showering, having my protein shake, hit work.

I´ll have fruits/veggies before lunch when I get hungry. And after lifting heavy you bet I am pretty hungry :)
  • shoover10
    shoover10 Posts: 32
    Options
    I workout at at 0500 and I am always hungry when I wake up. I eat something light, like toast, and drink water so that I can get through my workout. I can't concentrate on working out if I am hungry, although sometimes I skip the pre-workout snack because I am not hungry, but 99% of the time, I am. I come home, cool down, shower and then eat breakfast as I get ready... unless I run late than I eat around 0830 at work.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Eat when you want to. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless.
  • itamd1970
    itamd1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with those who eat before and after. I have a yoghurt 45 mins before I work out. Then about 45 mins after I workout I have the rest of my breakfast. The advantage of eating something before is that it gets you a nice spike before your workout. The great thing about eating after is that the exercise curbs your appetite. So you can manage to feel full and also satisfied
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I stick pretty tightly to a morning routine: Awake (between 6:45 and 7:30), wash face, brush teeth, eat a decent breakfast (not only to have energy to work out but also so I can take a multivitamin without wanting to die), meds,

exercise (20 minutes - an hour, more light stuff later in the day), and then shower! :D It's been working well for the past few weeks. Some foods probably don't feel very good digesting while doing really vigorous exercising, but you'll figure that out.

Edit: Also I'm starving after getting out of the shower, so I make a protein shake at that point.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings, I have a protein/meal replacement shake 45 minutes before hand.
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I grab a serving of almonds and water before I work out. If I eat anything I seem to get sick to my stomach. Then a protein shake or eggs about 30 min. afterwards. Good luck and happy and healthy future to you!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    When I get up to go to the gym in the morning, I take my morning meds first and one of them calls for food with it. I eat either a granola bar or something else light and then go. When I come back I may eat some greek yogurt, but not always. I always drink 2 8oz cups of water before and 2 after, though but that's me and my thirst level.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to eat, especially a full breakfast, before getting into your routine but sometimes it can help wake you up a little more, so to speak.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry before the workout, eat something before you work out. I wouldn't recommend a large breakfast, but a piece of fruit, a small bowl of cereal, etc. should be enough to give you some energy/fill you up enough, without making you ill while working out (which some people have problems with).

I have never heard of "eating too soon" after a workout. The recommendation I have typically seen is to eat rather soon after a workout (within an hour, or even 30min) to help your body recover from the workout.

Personally, I tend to eat about a serving of cereal (1 cup) or a piece of toast and half a piece of fruit before working out. I then go work out for 1-2 hours, and eat again right after working out. I usually eat something small as soon as I'm done working out (e.g. a date and 2-3 raw almonds) and then a meal once I'm done showering.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Depends on my mood, sometimes before sometimes right after. Play with it and see what works for you, it's less about what the rest of us are doing......
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a banana before I work out and then eat about a 1/2 hour after workout