is it bad that i eat a protein bar everyday?

Options
i love protein bars.. i honestly feel like it isn't that bad to have one, better than reaching for a chocolate candy bar right...? i have a luna bar everyday.. just one, but i make sure that it fits into my macros.. however, i would love some in put if it is bad to have one every day?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    No... why would it be bad? It fits your macros, so it's all good. Enjoy 'em.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    Heck no! Protein is great, and getting it in any form is great.
    I drink a protein shake daily, some days I'll have 2 and a protein bar. You're fine . :)
  • Destiny424
    Destiny424 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    alot of people say its not good because they're processed thats y
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Eh... that's a personal choice. I don't really mind processed food. I don't think 'processed' = evil.

You shouldn't believe everything people say. Read, think, decide for yourself. :P
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat them quite regularly (and I'll be honest.. I prefer them to a protein shake). I found ones that are 280 calories, 8g of sugar and 30g of protein. They don't have any of the stuff I try and avoid (like sugar alcohols - which make me VERY sick), so I don't have an issue with eating them each day.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

Eh... that's a personal choice. I don't really mind processed food. I don't think 'processed' = evil.

You shouldn't believe everything people say. Read, think, decide for yourself. :P

I agree with you about processed foods. I don't think they are the root of all evil, but a lot of people do. I hate when people criticize people who decide to include processed foods in their "diet". They act like you're eating something terrible and horrible. Everyone makes their own choices based on what is important to THEM - none of it is "right" or "wrong".
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I thought I was the only one...
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'd totally add them to my daily if they were more filling. Now it's if I have extra calories to fill and I'm not craving something else or I'm getting ready for bed.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I usually have one for breakfast every day. I'd love to eat a real meal but I've got three little kids, morning are crazy (even though I'm a stay at home mom), and since I'm breastfeeding something is better than nothing. Luna bars are great because they're 70% organic and they taste amazing. I generally agree that processed food isn't all that good, but organic snacks get a pass in my house.
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    I eat them quite regularly (and I'll be honest.. I prefer them to a protein shake). I found ones that are 280 calories, 8g of sugar and 30g of protein. They don't have any of the stuff I try and avoid (like sugar alcohols - which make me VERY sick), so I don't have an issue with eating them each day.

what bar is this? Im always in the look for a better bar.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I too have a protein shake and a protein bar on most days. Delicious, filling and satisfying. Win Win!
  • chevy88grl
    Options

what bar is this? Im always in the look for a better bar.

Premier Nutrition. Wal Mart sells them. Chocolate peanut butter is my favorite. :)
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on how you feel about it :smile: some people will try to convince you that you won't ever be healthy unless you cut out almost everything! No wheat, no processed sugar, no sugar at all, no fruits (they contain sugarrr!), etc etc...

You just make choices and changes you are happy with and go from there. Maybe in a few months you'll say, "You know what? My diet is pretty clean, I wonder if I can find a way to substitute something for my Luna bars..." but only if its something YOU want to do.

Looking at the ingredients of Luna bars: http://www.lunabar.com/products/ingredients/
    they seem okay, no funky weird processed stuff

But if you do want to stay away from "cane syrup" or other ingredients on the list, why not make your own? CCK has a base recipe (Here:http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/10/19/homemade-luna-bars/) but idk how it compares because I've not tried a Luna bar before :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    IIFYM, eat that *kitten*! :tongue:

In saying that, I much prefer to make my own protein bars. I just haven't found any branded ones that didn't taste artificial to me.

2 of my fav recipes.

Peanut Butter Protein Bars 9 serves 197 cals 21/13/7
    5 tbsp. natural peanut butter
    1/2 cup oat 1/2 cup oat flour (or another 1/2 oats)
    6 scoops whey protein (your choice of flavor)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract (or you can use coconut extract, etc. to change flavor)
    2 cups skim milk
    1/2 cup water (can add slightly more if necessary)

Mix dry ingredients. Add p/b & mix (will be crumbly). Add water & vanilla (use spatula sprayed w/ non-stick spray). Mix completely (will be sticky). Put in greased 8x8 pan & cool/freeze until hard.

2 cups of oats
    10 scoops chocolate wpc/wpi
    4 heaped tbsp honey
    1/2 cup natty nut butter
    1/2 cup of milk (but not all at once, sometimes more/less)

Lemon Protein Bars - makes 8 184 cals 27/13/2

200g casein
    100g oats
    lemon zest
    lemon juice
    ½ cup splenda
    2 cups skim milk
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    No! protien supplements are great!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

In saying that, I much prefer to make my own protein bars. I just haven't found any branded ones that didn't taste artificial to me.

2 of my fav recipes.

2 cups skim milk

Mix dry ingredients. Add p/b & mix (will be crumbly). Add water & vanilla (use spatula sprayed w/ non-stick spray). Mix completely (will be sticky). Put in greased 8x8 pan & cool/freeze until hard.

2 cups of oats
    4 heaped tbsp honey
    1/2 cup natty nut butter

200g casein
    100g oats
    lemon zest
    lemon juice
    ½ cup splenda
    2 cups skim milk

These look delicious~ Thanks for sharing!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The best protein bar ever are Quest Bars. They are low carbs, full of fibers and 20g of protein per bar. About 170-200 cals per bar.
    I avoid those with sugar alcohols though. Best taste ever!!! It's not a candy bar so don't expect them to taste as sweet as a Snicker or a Mars bar. NO Soy and NO soy lecithin!!!!!! It was really important to me. The only thing I wish they were organic and a little cheaper but they are so worth it. And I wish they'd made some with no almonds as my husband is allergic to them.
    If they were less pricey, I'd eat 3-4 bars every day!
    I wish I could work for them and get all the quest bars for free!!!!!!!! :)
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options

2 of my fav recipes.

2 cups skim milk

2 cups of oats
    4 heaped tbsp honey
    1/2 cup natty nut butter

200g casein
    100g oats
    lemon zest
    lemon juice
    ½ cup splenda
    2 cups skim milk

Bump going to try these next break
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    as long as you factor them into your calorie budget you're fine. if you're really worried about it you could try to get ones that are low in sugar but whatevs. you could also try larabars or kind bars which have very few processed ingredients.