Ever feel like you're getting addicted to exercise

Options

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Alas...no...hence the reason you don't see any "skin pix" of me :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • crispygarcia1
    Options
    I feel the same way, but i almost feel like being addicted to exercise is the best thing to be addicted to! I went to the gym this morning and feel like I could go back again, and the only thing stopping me are these gas prices that dont make it worth it because I know I don't NEED to go again. Yesterday, same thing happened and I went for a run around the neighborhood because the weather was so nice out! Is there such a thing as too much exercise/should I take a rest day? Because quite honestly, I feel terrible if I don't go to the gym everyday....its probably mental but I cant get myself to NOT go no matter how busy I am I always make sure to squeeze in at least half an hour of cardio! Thoughts?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I feel the same way, but i almost feel like being addicted to exercise is the best thing to be addicted to! I went to the gym this morning and feel like I could go back again, and the only thing stopping me are these gas prices that dont make it worth it because I know I don't NEED to go again. Yesterday, same thing happened and I went for a run around the neighborhood because the weather was so nice out! Is there such a thing as too much exercise/should I take a rest day? Because quite honestly, I feel terrible if I don't go to the gym everyday....its probably mental but I cant get myself to NOT go no matter how busy I am I always make sure to squeeze in at least half an hour of cardio! Thoughts?

Yes, there is a such thing as too much exercise actually. Or rather there is a such thing as "exercise addiction" in a negative sense. Here's some info:

Recognizing addiction

The exercise addict has lost his balance: Exercise has become overvalued compared to elements widely recognized as giving meaning in a full life -- work, friends, family, community involvement -- in short, the fruits of our humanity.

When emotional connections are passed up in favor of additional hours of training; when injury, illness and fatigue don't preempt a workout; when all free time is consumed by training -- exercise addiction is the diagnosis.

Warning lights for addiction include withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, irritability, and depression that appear when circumstances prevent you from working out.

To the addict, there is no exception to the rule "the more the better." More training, more hours, more miles, more intensity: more is absolutely always better. Anything that interferes with the lust for more exercise is resented.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Umm sadly no. LOL, I just would rather not exercise at all.

BUT I am definitely used to it and do feel badly when I miss a workout.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    Somewhat (if that makes any sense). When I go to bed at night, I am so excited to think of the workout I am going to have the next morning. Then, when the alarm goes off, I just want to hit the snooze button about 20x.

But I don't. :happy:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I hope this happens to me
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I hope this happens to me

Just wanted to say I like your avatar. :)
  • Hollsjazzy
    Hollsjazzy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love to work out!! Addicted to it yes! ! workout 2-3per day! Today I went for a 15 mile bike ride and a 2.5 mile run!!! Lets face it, There are worse things to be addicted to! =)
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love the feeling of running, best stress reliever ever. And a lot more comforting to me than food!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Actually, yes! I feel bad on a rest day!
  • Jess11079
    Jess11079 Posts: 26
    Options
    i used to hate working out but lately i love it and I realized yesterday that i must be addicted because i didnt get to go to the gym and i was so nasty all day...snapping at everyone and hating the world....got up this morning and spent nearly 3 hours at the gym....feel much better today!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I feel like sometimes I get kind of OCD about it. I get hung up on sustaining a certain number on heart rates, etc.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My gym time is the only me time I get! I'd rather go for an hour of easy cardio on a "rest" day than try and relax in the bath, go for a walk (because then I'd have to bring the girls), or try and chill while also trying to tune out the craziness that is my two daughters playing.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    That is soooo not my *kitten*. It's what I want it to look like one day :P
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options

Yes, there is a such thing as too much exercise actually. Or rather there is a such thing as "exercise addiction" in a negative sense. Here's some info:

Recognizing addiction

The exercise addict has lost his balance: Exercise has become overvalued compared to elements widely recognized as giving meaning in a full life -- work, friends, family, community involvement -- in short, the fruits of our humanity.

When emotional connections are passed up in favor of additional hours of training; when injury, illness and fatigue don't preempt a workout; when all free time is consumed by training -- exercise addiction is the diagnosis.

Warning lights for addiction include withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, irritability, and depression that appear when circumstances prevent you from working out.

To the addict, there is no exception to the rule "the more the better." More training, more hours, more miles, more intensity: more is absolutely always better. Anything that interferes with the lust for more exercise is resented.

Just to point out a few flaws in the logic here... I am addicted to nicotine. My husband and children doesn't suffer for it, my friends don't suffer for it ... same goes for my exercise.

When someone elects to put in extra hours of training rather than deal with social crap, it can be the equivalent of walking away from an argument rather than engaging... I would rather work out than get in a screaming match with my mother... and with her, every conversation ends in a screaming match no matter what you do.

I am anxious, irritable and depressed naturally and have been for years... working out gives me a break from putting on a false face for people who are trying to tap-dance on my last nerve.

I get furious when something interrupts a scheduled workout... mainly because I spend every other hour of the day bending over backwards for my husband, my children, my friends, my neighbors, my kid's school, or whoever else just HAS to have help at a moment's notice. That being said, I get up at 3:15 to work out before getting the kids ready for school, go to bed after everyone else so I can do a second workout, and schedule my "walk with a friend" type activities for Sundays when nothing else is affected.

I'm not saying that there aren't people out there with real problems... but please don't generalize and (as I believe you did) don't quote generalized crap that can be read to apply to normal, health conscious people... especially in a cheerful thread like this.

To the OP... isn't it a beautiful feeling when healthy choices seem more appealing than, say, a bag of chips? LOL I love experiencing that kind of euphoria! Enjoy! =D
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mentally yes....if I don't exercise for a week, I can already notice my attitude and well being sliding down hill. It just does wonders for me...puts me in the best mood. Physically, eh, some days I wanna get lazy, but then I remember how much it helps me and drag my *kitten* in there. I never regret it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Recognizing addiction

Just to point out a few flaws in the logic here... I am addicted to nicotine. My husband and children doesn't suffer for it, my friends don't suffer for it ... same goes for my exercise.

When someone elects to put in extra hours of training rather than deal with social crap, it can be the equivalent of walking away from an argument rather than engaging... I would rather work out than get in a screaming match with my mother... and with her, every conversation ends in a screaming match no matter what you do.

I am anxious, irritable and depressed naturally and have been for years... working out gives me a break from putting on a false face for people who are trying to tap-dance on my last nerve.

I get furious when something interrupts a scheduled workout... mainly because I spend every other hour of the day bending over backwards for my husband, my children, my friends, my neighbors, my kid's school, or whoever else just HAS to have help at a moment's notice. That being said, I get up at 3:15 to work out before getting the kids ready for school, go to bed after everyone else so I can do a second workout, and schedule my "walk with a friend" type activities for Sundays when nothing else is affected.

I'm not saying that there aren't people out there with real problems... but please don't generalize and (as I believe you did) don't quote generalized crap that can be read to apply to normal, health conscious people... especially in a cheerful thread like this.

To the OP... isn't it a beautiful feeling when healthy choices seem more appealing than, say, a bag of chips? LOL I love experiencing that kind of euphoria! Enjoy! =D

what? did you not read that I said *I* have thought about being "addicted" myself? wow. someone asked a question and i responded with an answer. I wasn't bringing down the vibe of the thread. SHEESH what's up with you?
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    i feel this way all the time :)
    it's more than a habit, it's like i can't live without it now! :]

at least it's a good addiction to have, right?! haha
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your use of the word "addiction." Used lightly, "oh, I'm addicted to exercise," and yeah, to most people it's probably not a big deal. But if TRULY addicted to exercise, then, yes, it could potentially be a problem. I think that's what love4fitness was referring to. Even something that is fundamentally healthy, when taken to EXTREMES, can become detrimental. That is why there is such a thing as compulsive exercise.

"Compulsive exercise (also called obligatory exercise and anorexia athletica) is best defined by an exercise addict's frame of mind: He or she no longer chooses to exercise but feels compelled to do so and struggles with guilt and anxiety if he or she doesn't work out. Injury, illness, an outing with friends, bad weather — none of these will deter those who compulsively exercise." (source: kidshealth.org)

I don't think it was meant to be a downer or anything. Just pointing out that there is actually potential for true addiction. People with histories of an eating disorder, for example, may be prone to that kind of thing.

That said, I don't think it will ever be my particular issue...addicted to chocolate, more likely.
  • Jess11079
    Jess11079 Posts: 26
    Options
    My gym time is the only me time I get! I'd rather go for an hour of easy cardio on a "rest" day than try and relax in the bath, go for a walk (because then I'd have to bring the girls), or try and chill while also trying to tune out the craziness that is my two daughters playing.

This ^ exactly...even down to the 2 daughters