Dreadful smoking!!!!!

Options
I am now on my way to being healthy, and I want to kick the habit. I know that it is horrible for me, and if I want to be healthy, why would I continue to smoke????? Anyone that quit, and did it on their own with no help?

Replies

• jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm also trying to quit. Just taking it one day at a time and trying not to get consumed with the dreadfull snacking!

Good Luck!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Get a copy of Allan Carr's book "Easyway to Quit Smoking", read it carefully and sign up with www.quitnet.com.

Those two things helped me to quit a two pack a day habit cold turkey over two years ago...best thing I ever did for myself.
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I quit 8 months ago. For me nicotine inhalers helped to get me through first few weeks, but not as per instructions, just one-two puffs when I was close to breaking down. On top of that at home I started 8 min abs in the time slot for morning cigarette, and at work I would bring apples and join my smoking friend for a ciggie break once a day. This way I did not have the feeling I'm missing out on social life.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I did! I've quit for almost 3 weeks now and its surprisingly easy.

No patches, no gum etc.. You don't need it.

Willpower does amazing things y'know =D
  • retain_some_hope
    Options
    I quit 3 weeks ago today on will power alone. The first week was definitely the hardest, but after that it has been plain sailing. I have also temporarily quit alcohol to help with the non-smoking, because after a few drinks my will power tends to dissolve! Good luck!! :smile:
  • HeidiLynnM
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas/ support. I swear smoking is my worst addiction........EVER!
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ^ READ THE BOOK recommended above - really good. I went to a support group, it really helped me even though I thought it would be awful. Also, there are medications you can try, one called Champix worked for some people, I used the inhaler and patches, which helped A LOT. good luck!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and have smoked for 33yrs up to 2 packs a day
    I'm on day 32 for quitting. I used Nips for a while as someone suggested now nothing.
    Just to let you know, I have gained weight, I'm determined to loose it, with the help of
    my MFP friends.
    You can do it :drinker:
  • JSkinner72
    Options
    I need to drop this habit as well. I have the utmost respect for people that have quit or are trying to quit. Add me as a friend if you like and I will do what I can to encourage you.
  • GinGinSweden
    GinGinSweden Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 weeks ago cold turkey never even craved ... was lucky ... never going back!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I am now on my way to being healthy, and I want to kick the habit. I know that it is horrible for me, and if I want to be healthy, why would I continue to smoke????? Anyone that quit, and did it on their own with no help?
    Made the decision, then pondered on it for a month, then quit cold turkey and never went back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smiles4deb
    Options
    I quit 9 weeks ago, cold turkey. I had a cold when I first quit, which made it a little easier, but I had been thinking about it for a while first. I believe it all comes down to your mindset and that you really truly want to quit. I smoked off and on (mostly on) for 27 years and had decided I was just tired of it. You can do it! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    its been just a little over 8 months since i quit. I personally didn't use any patches or anything. Just stopped totally & also kept cigarettes everywhere in my house, car, work etc to test my will power! It worked & now im thankful! Sometimes i take my electronic cigarette with me on nights out when i consume alcohol!
  • emhtx
    emhtx Posts: 3
    Options
    I quite smoking in February of 2005, cold turkey. It is very possible, many people have done so. I have a couple of pointers:

1. You may consider quitting when you have some days off from work or other stressful activities. 3 days of focusing primarily on quitting may help you, and carry momenteum into your work week.

2. Smoking is a symptom. I have found that people smoke to supress emotion. Resist the desire to go to cigerettes to relieve anxiety/stress, and instead, feel the emotion. Express the emotion. It is in this time that we normally come to a realization of the truth, and are able to press in and break through.

Some people choose to smoke to escape, others choose, to eat, some choose to work out. The important thing is to face the emotion!
  • gail197
    gail197 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have also read the Allen Carr book, it was worth the read (although I read it after I had quit already)..

Support is a critical aspect. Making sure that you are surrounded by supportive people and removing the bad influences as much as possible.

Gail xx
    www.ReviewSmoking.com
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    3 years 3 months ago I threw away my box of smokes on the stroke of midnight new years eve. Haven't looked back.
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    3rd day of not smoking for me! I just did first 2 day cold turkey, today I bought some nicotine gum on my way to work because I was struggling! Did notice something HUGE though, I use a HRM and my heart rate was overall lower (at same intensity I usually did while smoking). SO YAY! And wait....I could breathe easier! WHAT A CONCEPT!

It is very hard! I have been smoking on and off since I was 13 but...it's time to be DONE!! :)

You can do it!
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I quit smoking over a year ago, mainly because I couldn't afford it (really couldn't afford anything) I didn't use anything to help me quit other than looking at my bank account . I chew a lot of sugarless gum. I find now that the smell smoke makes me gag. will power is a wonderful thing, as long as you are determined to quit you can. :)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yes. I quit smoking on Oct 17, 2011 for good!

The one thing I did differently this time (of about 100 times), is make a list of things to do to get through the rough times. The first week; expect the worst case scenario. My list had a variety of things like play a game of solitaire, walk around the block, brush the cat, look at the inspirational list:
    http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html
    I still have this list posted on my fridge.
    Anyway, just make sure you have a plan of action/escape for any scenario. Make a good long list of the above activities so you have a good choice for whatever mood you are in. Also, have some specific snacks, on hand, you plan on eating if you get too crazy.

I sorta did it the opposite way. I quit smoking first then started my weight loss plan in January. I had been trying to quit smoking for the past 30, yes **30** years! I tried everything; the patch; pills; hypnosis; acupuncture and you know what worked for me? Cold turkey!
    Good luck!

PS I just posted this in an earlier thread today.
  • mybettyboop43
    Options
    bump