What is your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    just had sweet potato tots at lunch NOM NOM
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started eating them, and I wasn't crazy about them at first, but they are growing on me!

I LOVe sweet potatoes, but I don't eat them in a healthy way. lol I love them with butter brown sugar and cinnamon and sometimes even some marshmallows on top. LOL
  • joeyjo23
    joeyjo23 Posts: 7
    Options
    dont know if u get philly light cheese! but i like to make mash with mine, and use a bit of sweet chilli light philadelphia cheese instead of adding milk and butter!
  • amuseboucheUK
    amuseboucheUK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    cubed and "char" roasted with other roots (celeriac, parsnip etc), onions, rosemary and garlic ... they can be eaten like this or mixed gradually into a risotto as the rice cooks so you get some very soft and some still a bit crisp...
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Baked with just a little bit of salt or baked sweet potato fries! Yum!
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love this post--I'm going to print it and keep it with my recipes!! I like red yams more than the lighter colored sweet potatoes, but either way they're good with citrus. Two of my favorites:

Baked and sprinkled with fresh lime juice and sea salt

Mashed with fresh orange juice & zest (you can add a little butter and/or yogurt to make them creamy, but not necessary)
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like curried sweet potatoes. Peel and dice a sweet potato, pop it in the microwave for a couple minutes to get it mostly cooked, then saute it with onions, garlic, finely diced Serrano pepper, yellow curry powder, and garam massala. So amazing! You can make a whole meal out of this by adding 1 can (approx. 15 oz) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, and 1 can (15 oz) of diced tomatoes, mostly drained. Cover and cook until the tomatoes reduce a bit. I find I don't have to add any liquid, but you can always add veggie or chicken stock if you want it a little soupier. Serve over brown rice or with a bit of naan (I buy the Stonefire Naan at the grocery store, cut it into a proper serving size, and toast it using a regular toaster).
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    just finished one; baked with "spray" butter. yum.

They are so easy to bake; just stab them a few times with a fork, stick them on a cookie sheet and bake about an hour at 450.

If you have a delay setting on your oven, program it to be done when you're home from work. Literally <1 minute prep. (don't forget add an extra 15 minutes for the delay start to include pre-heat time).

What a great idea! I will definitely do that! I have done so with my rice cooker, but never my oven... that will make things easy!
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Mine is also not on the healthy side as others here
    we slice 1-/2 " thick round and lay in rows in a 11 x 13 baking dish sprinkle with 1 c granulated sugar and 1 cup water bake until sugar begins to carmelize in pan and potatoes are tender. I can use 4-5 large sweet potatoes to fill this size pan for thanksgiving family dinner.
  • Vickyjh80
    Options
    Blended in my sweet potato and chilli soup. SOOO yummy!
  • RUN2CJ
    RUN2CJ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to respond on a health site with "fried"... but after reading the other posts... I am not alone!!!
  • teawalk
    teawalk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes, but discovered this way of making them about a year ago and it instantly became my favorite.

Wash and dry a sweet potato and slice it into sweet potato coins about 1/4" thick.
    Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
    Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and sprinkle with salt.
    Lay coins out on the baking sheet - 1 layer thick - don't over lap.
    Spray coins with non-stick spray and sprinkle with salt.
    Bake for about 10 minutes and flip when the bottoms have started to brown.
    Bake for an additional 10 minutes or so until tender and browned to your likeness.

It takes a couple time of baking them to decide just how dark you like them. I like mine brown almost to the point of starting to burn, but not quite. I think they're sweeter that way.
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Diced, tossed with olive oil, sprinkled with Mrs.Dash southwest seasoning and roasted in oven for around an hour. Flip them around a couple of times like you would french fries. sweet and spicy, delish!
  • maethoriel
    Options
    If I have sweet potatoes I usually either slice them up and cook them in the oven kind of like sweet potato fries or something and then dip them in a little bit of agave nectar or I will have a baked sweet potato with some laughing cow cheese in it..which is amazing.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I like eating them with my mouth.

Hahaha....me too.

I like to prepare it like a baked potato though (oven or microwave) with a little butter or margarine, salt, pepper and a dollop of Greek yogurt, topped with scallions.
  • mbww
    mbww Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I slice them like potato chips and place them on a cookie sheet. I sprinkle olive oil on them, sea salt and pepper and bake. I sometimes sprinkle cayenne pepper on them as well. My kids love them, especially cold the next day.
  • mkayb1
    mkayb1 Posts: 21
    Options
    I like to chop them up with rutabaga and parsnips and broil them with a dash of olive olive oil. Then once they cool, put them on top of fresh spinach for a yummy spinach and root salad.
  • Chuckempire
    Options
    Baked and or mashed once a week
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted cubes. Cut up. Spray generously with olive oil. Salt and pepper. Bake at 425 degrees until golden.

This way in an iron skillet!