Cardio or weight lifting first?

Options
Basically, its in the subject line. Which is better? Doing cardio first, or lifting weights? I would think it's a matter of preference, but wanted some opinions too.

Thanks!

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Weights first, cardio second. It has to do with burning fat more efficiently.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Weights first.. (although I do about 5-10 minutes on a cardio machine to warm up, then weights)...

I prefer to control my deficit through my diet.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Funny, this exact same topic was posted about 2 hours ago! :)

Like they've said, warmp-up, weights, cardio.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I do part of my cardio before my weights. I will warm up on the treadmill and do about ten minutes on the elliptical, go do all my strength, then back to the elliptical for 20 minutes, then cool down on the treadmill. Just personal preference, I feel like it helps me get going.
  • jjballantyne
    jjballantyne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Weights first...unless its just a ten min warmup.
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    warm-up using empty bar
    weight lifting including ramp-up sets
    cardio
    cool-down
    stretching

being a tool I tend to do this all wrong
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've read this many times on body building sites (paraphrased):

Begin with strength training after doing a warm up. You should have all of your energy to devote to strength training. You will see bigger and better gains because you will be able to lift heavier before doing cardio. Then burn what's left with the cardio.

Makes sense to me.
  • howrse
    howrse Posts: 1
    Options
    Strengh training always comes first.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Basically, its in the subject line. Which is better? Doing cardio first, or lifting weights? I would think it's a matter of preference, but wanted some opinions too.

Thanks!
    Lift weights, and leave the cardio to non-strength training days.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    When I had a bunch to lose I did straight up cardio, but for the last 50 lbs or so I have been doing a 10 min cardio warmup, then lifting, and then a cardio cool down
  • iambatman41
    Options
    I warm up on a bike for 10 minutes, do a set of weights, 10 minutes on stair master, another set, 10 more minutes on stair master, another set, then 10 more minutes on the bike. Works for me.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, and leave the cardio to non-strength training days.
    [/quote]

Even better.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I warm up with cardio first for a bit and then do weights!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i personally do my cardio first, because i hate it and if i don't get it out of the way i will spend all of my allotted workout time weight training and i won't be able to squeeze any cardio in, plus i'll be too lazy to do it.