a question for us "top heavy" ladies

Options
sew1222
sew1222 Posts: 241
have a question for my girls who are bigger on top....i have never wore a halter tops or dresses and i think they are so damn cute, but when i think about wearing them i always think they will fall down and i would have one of those "wardrobe malfunctions" i dont want that to happen but i really want to be able to wear them this summer and feel comfortable wearing them...any suggestions on how to buy them, what brand of clothes "stays up better", so do you tape them, or do you buy a smaller size?? HELP! THANKS!

Replies

• StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Same problem here... also, not sure about what bra to wear with these.
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am no help but I am interested. Nothing, I mean nothing, holds up my boobs. It's not that they are so big, they just hang so low. Halter tops, spaghetti straps, tank tops, ect are not an option for me. Right now I am at a 42DD and at my GW I am a 40D.
  • mechelle1bryan
    Options
    Never found any either, I would love to wear them
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    No clue LOL. The sooner I can chop these bad boys off, the better.
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get to my GW so that I can get a lift for the girls!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    IMO, you start with the "Pencil Test." Place a pencil against your torso just underneath your bare boob, then let go of the pencil with your hand. If the pencil -

- falls to the floor, you're good to go braless or wear any halter top you please.

- stays in place until you start walking & moving around, and then it falls or threatens to fall, you can probably wear a halter top. You may want to get one of those convertibleble/strapless bras to wear underneath, and you should definitely test-wear it around the house a while before wearing it out into the world.

- stays exactly where it is; regardless of whether you walk around a bit, lift your arms over your head, do jumping jacks, or shimmy like your sister Kate; you probably should not wear a halter top, even with a convertible/strapless bra, or (if you're at all like me) a 1950's era "Longline" bra, or (if you're quite a bit like me) a Victorian corset. :)

- is less than 5" long, and you cannot see it while it is in "testing position" - fugeddaboudit.

(Me, I could flunk this test using a typewriter.... :)
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    you could get a bra with detachable straps....that way you can make you bra a halter...thats what i do anyways and it keeps the girs up!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    No boobs here but I approve of big chested ladies wearing halter tops. :flowerforyou:
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What about the clear bra straps?? I know, they are the nicest things...but you can really only see them if you're looking to see them! Or if the sunlight hits them right :tongue:
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Victoria Secret builds tanks (and some really cute halters) with a built in Ipex bra. Because it attached to the shirt straps it lifts the girls up better than a separate strapless bra.

They're on the more expensive size... but for the top-heavy lady--like myself-- totally worth it.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant has awesome strapless bras :) I own 2 of them and I actually wear them with everything because you can detach the straps. I believe they start at 38 B or C and Go all the way up to 44DDD I think the newest style goes to 46DDD.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was a 36G who had bras sewn into her shirts so she could wear strapless and halter styles...or how about a halter style corset (a little too risky for daytime, but with jeans in the evening so cute)?
  • skrentz
    skrentz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a silicone self adhesive bra that I wear. If you get the right size, it does a great job, though probably not for bigger than D. You can adjust it anyway you need to so it doesn't show and the ones I have clip infront for some cleavage. I got one at Walmart or Target to try and then when I got used to it, I got a more expensive one online. Good for modesty too. They are reuseable, just wash with soapy water and let air dry, they last at least 20 times and say up to 50 washings. Now be aware, they are not a miracle bra and far from the sports bras I wear daily. That being said, they give me a bit more confidence when wearing halters, and even a swim suit.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I recently got sized and I'm a 32 DDD/E. I was all like.. "whaaat?" I thought I was a 36 D (maybe DD depending on my weight).

Anyway - My new bras are freaking amazing. I decided to see if I could finally find a strapless bra that didn't fall down all the time. Turns out, getting a bra my actual size CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER! I can finally wear little strappy tops in the summer and not feel self conscious about nip-slips!

So seriously girls - go get sized and NOT at VS. I went to Nordstrom :)
  • Mbryant58
    Options
    Same here. I am really looking to that day.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried the Lane Bryant strapless bra, and it doesn't do my boobs justice. I mean, yeah, I'd like to hold them in place, but ALSO hold them UP. And it just doesn't do it. As far as strapless goes...the only thing I could think of to wear, is a corset. I'd REALLY love one of those...seriously. I think they're sexy.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also wear halters, because I think they are really cute! I bought a convertible bra at Lane Bryant that is so comfortable and it allows me to wear most halters.
  • starshine420
    Options
    strapless bras or halter top bras, VS good place to start looking
  • starshine420
    Options
    I tried the Lane Bryant strapless bra, and it doesn't do my boobs justice. I mean, yeah, I'd like to hold them in place, but ALSO hold them UP. And it just doesn't do it. As far as strapless goes...the only thing I could think of to wear, is a corset. I'd REALLY love one of those...seriously. I think they're sexy.

I love corsets!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Halters are some of the best tops for us ladies who are larger on top. I have a strapless bra that has a halter strap optional that I use under halter tops. As long as the strap on the top is thick, it'll work just fine.