f i want to lose more then 2 pounds a week should i lower my

Options
jafy23
jafy23 Posts: 59 Member
I have my calories at 1410 and 4 x week workout 40 min each,

i always am under calories, and do my min workout plus some. and i gained weight for the first 3 weeks and i kno starting losing it and only lost 3 pounds. i was hoping to be 20 less by july when i go to vegas. and at the rate im at im not going to get there.

what should i do

should i lower my calories again and see if it starts coming off

Replies

• lcpurser
    lcpurser Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try calorie cycling, spike daysevery week or so, changing up your workout routine every day so your body does notget used to it. Def DO NOT go below 1200 cals, and I hope you do not lower them from what you have now.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I would take measurements and pictures. Also keep in mind that if you have just started with being healthier sometimes it takes the body time to adjust to the changes whether they are sudden or not.

I personally have been at or around the same weight for about 8 months but I know I'm still losing because I have had to buy smaller sizes in clothing and I've lost more in inches. I get frustrated because the scale hasn't moved but remind myself that this is only one form used to measure success and it is the easiest to do.

Hang in there and be patient. As my boyfriend as told me time and time again "You didn't gain over night so you won't lose over night" NO matter how much I had to admit this but he's right.
  • jenniferwithmk
    Options
    Are you logging in the right portions? With 1200-1400 calories, anyone should lose weight. If yes-try eating different foods. For example nothing processed aka doesn't come in a box, can or plastic. :)
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Do you watch your sodium intake? Sodium causes you to retain fluid.
  • grimesfamily
    grimesfamily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for 7 weeks now.. Well this is my second time around and the first time it was ever so easy to lose weight where now I have to earn every single pound I shed! It recommended that I eat 1800 calories a day and I thought that was too many so I dropped it down to 1200 along with my 5 day a week workouts and I wasn't losing anything, but gaining actually... So someone said maybe you are yourself.. I know I know I thought they were crazy!!! But I raised up my calories and I eat between 1600-1800 a day and I am losing about 2-3 a week! Amazing huh? :smile:
  • katered87
    Options
    The thing that you need to rememeber is... that muscle weighs more than fat... so if you are working out the same way every single day, you are gaining muscle... I agree with sugarbeans, take measurements. You will know for sure.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't go lower. Your body needs to be getting enough energy (calories) to stay healthy and for you to have enough energy to get through your day and to do those workouts. If you're eatig 1400 plus working out you are probably barely getting enough as it is.
    Cutting calories too low might make you lose fast in the short term but a lot of people who do this find that their weight loss stops or slows down and it's much harder to get going again.
    Just accept that weight comes off in it's own time - you can only push your body so far if you want to stay healthy too.
  • RedBull0512
    Options
    When you are stuck on your weight in spite of exercise and dieting, it sometimes means that the fat in your muscles is being replaced by actual muscular mass, so that's great. Anyhow, don't be frustrated we all hit a number where we get stuck and don't seem to be able to move on, but your body is changing, give it a little time. Watch your sodium intake, drink lots of water and maybe change your exercise routine. I would add an extra 20min of cardio at the end, but don't overdo, just slow biking or walking to get your heart rate back to normal, just to keep your metabolism running! Just don't go under your daily requirements, if they are 1400cals stick to it, it's the right amount of energy your body needs to maintain itself, getting under would totally slow your metabolism and make weight loss harder.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just bought a heart rate monitor because I want to be very careful counting how many calories I'm burning. There are some members on here that seem to kick butt using this method. I have decided this is the next step for my progress. I'm going to try and see where it gets me after a month. This website and cardio machines over estimate your calories burned. I am glad I have a tool in my arsenal now that will give me the truth. Now, I just have to be truthful about what I put in my face! :) Good luck girlfriend! My goal is 8 lbs or more a month.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    A few things...

1) Don't try to lose more than 2 lbs/week. Your body needs a certain amount of fuel to function properly. Listen to what MFP tells you.
    2)It's very difficult to gain muscle on a caloric deficit. You definitely SHOULD take measurements, and they hopefully will have gone down, but it's most likely not from muscle gain (and muscle is more dense than fat, but a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle - they just take up different amounts of space). You could be retaining water from A) too much sodium, B) not enough water, C) overworking your muscles, D) normal body fluctuations, E) any/all of the above)
    3) EAT! A well-fueled body functions better. Imagine you are a car and your gas tank holds 10 gallons. That 10 gallons is enough to get you to work and back (basic daily functions) for the week; however, you also have errands to run and are taking a road trip. That 10 gallons isn't going to cut it - you'll need to add more fuel. Your body is the same way with food. MFP gives you a minimum (with a healthy deficit built in) and that is enough to fuel your basic day. If you exercise, you use more fuel, so you need to give it more fuel so it can function effectively, especially with the added strain.
    4) #3 was just a fancy way of telling you to eat your exercise calories, or at least a big chunk of them.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    raise your caloric intake by a few hundred and continue to do the same workouts, water water water and eat clean. it will come off fast. I have lost 38 pounds in 77 days, just be consistent
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be an arbitrary weight for an arbitrary deadline? Not to mention a deadline where you're going to be probably eating and drinking excessively.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight quickly at the point you're at is to starve yourself. However, this will only work for a short amount of time. Eventually you will stop losing because you will have f*cked up your metabolism beyond repair slowing it to a near stop in a response to your underfeeding. As a result, you will lose muscle mass instead of fat and end up flabby and less healthy than when you began.

That being said, stick with slow and steady weight loss. The number on the scale means nothing if you're unhealthy. Exercise and strength train to maintain your muscles and eat at a moderate caloric deficit.