Fruits and Vegetables

Options
So i HATE vegetables and have tried everything I know of to incorporate them into my diet; juicing, V8 juice, which both caused my acid reflux and heartburn. Does anyone have any ideas how to incorporate them into my diet?? I do love fruits, every kind of fruit, just not vegetables... besides lettuce.

Also, do you count calories for the fruits and vegetables you eat? I have been counting V8 juices and fruit cups, but didn't know if we are suppose to count raw fruits and vegetables.

Replies

• katered87
    Options
    okay so I am the complete opposite, I LOVE VEGGIS and dont like certain fruits... BUT what I have done... WITH BROCOLLI... which i love plain anyway... add garlic butter to it or cheese sauce to it and then steam it.... it melts in your melt and you dont have to chew it.. I think it is amazing.. you can do this with any Veggi.
  • amohr10
    amohr10 Posts: 4
    Options
    okay thanks for the suggestion, I will have to try that this week! Do you count calories for all your vegetables and fruits ?(if you eat them)
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big veggie fan either so I had to get creative and make them in soups or sauces. I also just had to try and convince myself to just try things. Zucchini cut thin and coated in egg whites, dusted in bread crumbs, sprayed with Pam and baked in the oven, really are good. Not a bad way to get veggies that have crunch and protein.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yes. I count all the fruits and veggies.
  • katered87
    Options
    I count them all, just think. 1 cup of corn is 132 calories.. for 1 cup of brocolli w/ butter sauce is 84 calories... I <3 it.I eat my boyfriends veggi's all the time.

I add brocolli and low fat cheese with eggs... little bit of salt and pepper and you have a 350 calorie breakfast.

:)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a few cups of salsa before.

Heck, I've even blended and drank it.

Beautiful people gotta make sacrifices.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    So i HATE vegetables and have tried everything I know of to incorporate them into my diet; juicing, V8 juice, which both caused my acid reflux and heartburn. Does anyone have any ideas how to incorporate them into my diet?? I do love fruits, every kind of fruit, just not vegetables... besides lettuce.

Also, do you count calories for the fruits and vegetables you eat? I have been counting V8 juices and fruit cups, but didn't know if we are suppose to count raw fruits and vegetables.

If you eat it, you count it.

Throw out the V8, it's all sodium and nothing beats fresh for nutrients.

Not sure what to say about the taste? They're good for you, suck it up :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Buy chopped frozen spinach. You can add it to a fruit smoothie & although it will turn it green, you can't taste it. Add a handful to a pasta sauce and again it hides. Making a meatloaf? Toss in another handful.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Just a few things that might help:

V-8 juice = loaded with sodium unless you are choosing the lower sodium version. Even then, it might be contributing to your heartburn.

Fruit cup = depending on the brand, it could be loaded with sugar in the syrup unless you are choosing the ones in the natural fruit juices. That may also be causing your acid reflux.

Broccoli and cauliflower give me gas. I still eat them, but it may cause discomfort in other people too.

I like to cut up a bunch of different veggies like today for lunch (asparagus, red bell pepper, red onion, red cabbage, yellow summer squash and zucchini), toss them in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic then throw them on the bottom shelf of an oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. My hubby tolerates veggies at best... and he even loves when I do that. :)
  • bjohs
    Options
    okay so I am the complete opposite, I LOVE VEGGIS and dont like certain fruits... BUT what I have done... WITH BROCOLLI... which i love plain anyway... add garlic butter to it or cheese sauce to it and then steam it.... it melts in your melt and you dont have to chew it.. I think it is amazing.. you can do this with any Veggi.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having veggies? LOL! Sounds delicious though.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I make multiple shakes each day with vegetables. My main one is:

3/4 cup non-fat milk
    1 tablespoon of Smuckers all natural PB
    1/2 banana
    1-2 scoops of Protein of choice
    Half blender full of spinach
    Handful of ice
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Any veggie can be steamed and then pureed and added to any dish especially soup pasta sauce or even chilli. I also blend spinach into my smoothies or protein shakes and it changes the colour but you can't taste it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count all the cals for fruit and veggies. I don't necessarily calculate every salad separately -I have a couple of entries in the recipe section (green salad and green salad no dressing) so I usually use one of these and add any extras like fetta, nuts, sun dried tomatoes, olives etc.

If you find them hard to eat, then hide them - grate them or puree them and put them in pasta sauce, muffins, casseroles, soups etc. There are lots of recipe books for kids meals that talk about how to hide veggies.

Or, you coud just suck it up and keep trying them.... there are so many different fruits and veggies out there, I'm betting there will be some that you like.
    Why not commit to trying something new every week? Buy a small serve from the supermarket, look for a recipe and give it a go. If you don't like it, that's fine, at least you've tried it. Hopefully you will start finding ones that you really do like, or at least can tolerate.

By the way, I really don't think that V8 juice is a vegetable - I know they make it from veggies but its so processed that I think you'd find that your reflux would be much worse from this than from an actual veggie.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having veggies? LOL! Sounds delicious though.

Hey, it's a good way to start - better to be getting the goodness from the veggies, even if they are hidden under cheese. The trick is just to count all those extra cals, if they fit into your day, no problem!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You have to get used to the foods you don't like. I try to add a new food to my diet every month. March is Sweet Potatoes.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You can sneak veggies into your food. If you like lettuce, try raw spinach...very mild taste...Use it in a salad or to top sandwiches, burgers, whatever you normally use lettuce on. & yes count your fruits & veg...They have calories & nutrients just like everything else.
  • bjohs
    Options
    Here are a couple photos of the roasted veggies, just so you can see the variety. I love veggies though. :)

veggies02.jpg

421585_2972372561966_1641341350_2452920_1077270835_n-1.jpg
  • bjohs
    Options

Hey, it's a good way to start - better to be getting the goodness from the veggies, even if they are hidden under cheese. The trick is just to count all those extra cals, if they fit into your day, no problem!

That's true. :) Every once in a while, I like to use the Laughing Cow Garlic & Herb with broccoli. It's nice to change things up once in a while... but like you say, only if I can fit it in to my day.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I count my veggies like everything else. Have you tried a stir fry or a stuffed ravioli type food?
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you might try a juicer with a mix of veggies and fruit, it will taste like fruit