Walden Farms Experience BAD BAD BAD

Options

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This little bit is how some of these places call things 0 calories even though they're not, especially with how some people use them "because" they are 0 calories (using 100x as much as hey it's calorie free)

From the FDA labeling requirements found here http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064894.htm
    N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)
    and as it's been brought up before as that being for "fat" this is the fat info from the same source
    N12. The total fat content for a serving of my product is 0.1 g. How should I declare fat and calories from fat?

Answer: Because it is present at a level below 0.5 g, the level of fat is expressed as 0 g. Calories from fat would also be expressed as zero. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)(i), 21 CFR 101.9(c)(2)
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hahah so a friend of mine saw that there was calorie free "whipped peanut spread" at walmart. I love peanut butter, and i knew that was too good to be true, but when I saw it, I just HAD to know...

That was the most terrible crap I ever tasted. I threw it away. Haha anyone else ever experienced walden farms stuff? Very vile.

OOPS sorry if you like whipped peanut butter try kraft its awesome
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes their BBQ sauce, and she just bought me a bottle. Will give it a try.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Our walmart has not gotten any of these yet. I havent seen a mod change for it either. I hope they do, as I would be interested in trying something like this.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible experience when I order some stuff online. what a waste of money.

Cons:
    - the marshmallow sauuce was vile, but I sholdve known better.
    - the thick and spciy BBQ sauce was ok if you only have a little bit at a time, but thats only because the spicy tries its best to overpower the nasty
    - the ranch mayo was gross. the after taste was tolerable but the actual taste is yelch

Pros: the customer service was great

$20 down the drain. Never again.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've got to ask...is it zero calories coz no one eats these things? ;)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the Blue Cheese dressing and the Chocolate sauce. Neither was terrible but not wonderful either. If you use a small amount of the dressing you get the flavor fine, but if you use too much it does have that chemical taste. I also used the chocolate sauce on strawberries and I thought it was pretty good.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    This little bit is how some of these places call things 0 calories even though they're not, especially with how some people use them "because" they are 0 calories (using 100x as much as hey it's calorie free)

From the FDA labeling requirements found here http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064894.htm
    N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)
    and as it's been brought up before as that being for "fat" this is the fat info from the same source
    N12. The total fat content for a serving of my product is 0.1 g. How should I declare fat and calories from fat?

Answer: Because it is present at a level below 0.5 g, the level of fat is expressed as 0 g. Calories from fat would also be expressed as zero. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)(i), 21 CFR 101.9(c)(2)

It's not that big of a deal when we're talking about the kinds of serving sizes generally involved. I think you'd be hard pressed to find foods with with sub-five calorie serving sizes that you could really eat enough of to factor into diets that frankly should be 1000+ calories at an absolute minimum.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Depends on what the product is "those 0 calories sprays" that you use in place of olive oil or butter in your pans...

here's some comments on one of them

"I can't believe it's not butter" spray... some user....It has 0 calories

The bottle actually contains 990 calories and over 90 grams of fat.

Track that and see the difference in your weight loss.
  • nirebelldandy
    Options
    Ugh i bought this crap too thinking it would be AMAZING and INCREDIBLE and will totally SAVE me calories!

How wrong I was. I really wanted to like it too! The texture is weird and it tastes like science-y processed fluff. But I paid almost $4 for the jar at walmart, and now I feel like I need to eat it anyway just not to feel bad about wasting money! lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Vile, disgusting, jars of pure chemicals. The one product of theirs that I bought, the smell was so overpowerfully gag-inducing that I couldn't even being myself to try it. I just threw the whole thing out because everytime the jar was anywhere near where I could smell it I honestly thought it was going to make me vomit.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My main meal throughout the week is a salad so if I can save myself 300-400 calories per day, well, end of the week it adds up. What I've tried so far, is there Honey Dijon which was pretty good. The Creamy bacon was OK will probably not but that again and there Bacon Ranch once was OK on the borderline on whether I'll buy this again. There's a few other flavor that I've purchased but haven't tried yet, fingers crossed on those, but if all I end up with is Honey Dijon that'll be fine since it's my favorite.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tried the chocolate sauce, and it tasted like what I would imagnie expired kahlua would taste like...

And that's coming from my tastebuds, who basically love anything even remotely sweet
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes their BBQ sauce, and she just bought me a bottle. Will give it a try.

I have the Hickory BBQ sauce and I like it. I also have the Original but haven't used any yet.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I just bought the peanut butter. GROSS! It tasted like what it smells like, and what I wanted to do. I think I am done with peanut butter forever.
  • B3h1ndgr33neyez
    B3h1ndgr33neyez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Aww peanut butter isn't bad...just that peanut SPREAD. >.< Very nasty.
  • ccerza
    ccerza Posts: 1
    Options
    I have tried many of the dressings, calorie free, and they are not too bad. I eat a lot of salads and they substitute well for me. I especially like the individual packets that I take out to eat. The peanut butter spread is terrible. I had to throw it away as well as the grape jelly. The pancake syrup is tolerable. I wish the stores would carry the individual packets but so far I have to order them on-line.
  • knights004
    Options
    Some of their items I like. the chocolate dip is good with fruit. The Thousand island dressing is good, Ranch Dressing is ok, but l I like the ranch dip better with veggies. Don't care for the Mayo at all. I have several of the vinegar based ones and the pancake syrup that I have not tried yet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Our walmart has not gotten any of these yet.

oh
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Some of the WF isn't bad.... I really like the thick n spicy BBQ sauce / and the thousand island dressing in place of dips! Oh and I also really like the vinaigrette dressings those arent bad! However they aren't really 0 calories.... but under 4 per serving....