Scale: friend or foe?

Options
I find im stepping on ths scale several times through the day. A friend thinks its unhealthy, I use it as a motivator. If its up a bit I work harder. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Bobskiframps
    Bobskiframps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Every time I step on the scales it says error.. I haven't been able to weigh myself for 2 months or so because of it. And measurring myself doesn't seem to Motivate me because I don't lose very much each time. x
  • alliekat893
    Options
    For me, foe. Instead of motivating me when it's up, it discourages me. I think, I worked so hard and it's up anyway so why bother. I hate that blasted scale! :grumble:
  • MrsHedgehog17
    Options
    Have to admit I get very dispondent if the scales tell me I have lost nothing. Weight fluctuates during the day anyway so I try to stick to once a week first thing in the morning.
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    Weight fluxuates constantly, it could either motivate or discourage me so I don't have a scale at home. I have been weighing myself once every two weeks (I'm in a competition), usually I do it once a month at the same time on the same day. But before that I weighed myself once a year at my annual physical.

Constantly weighing myself wold drive me insane!! I'm a bigger fan of the tape measure!!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    You are not doing yourself any favours :-(

I was a complusive scale stepper - two, three, five times a day. However, what I noticed was that I would be eating LESS so that I would weigh less on the scale... and dropped below 1000 calories a day. That caused me to nearly black out. FUN. Not.

i TRY to not even step on 1 a day now. I'd like to get to be able to weigh just once a WEEK, but i'm a bit too paranoid and neurotic for that right now.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It a useful tool, when used properly. Weighing yourself several times a day is exactly what you don't want to do. One a week at most, IMO.
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    foe! I hate the darn thing. I'm using the scale through the wii fit but even then i rarely jump on.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself several times during the day is only going to lead to frustration as your weight will fluctuate (within a fairly narrow range) throughout the day.

Focus on improving your health rather than a number on a dial and weigh yourself once a week (same time every week).
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    once a week works for me ..... Measuring seems to keep me levelheaded when Ive had a slight gain that can usually be attributed to water weight So friend I guess...Just a friend that tells me the truth and not what I want to hear :wink:
  • jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. For me, it's been the way of gauging my status each morning. It often works as a reminder to not overdo it that day or to even motivate me to continue the good work!

But I can see how it could drive someone else crazy when they aren't seeing the results they want. But I just liked having the information each day of where I was at. It's probably not a good idea to check each and every day if you're easily discouraged.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Neither....it's a tool that provides a reality check. You can chose to turn it into a person and create an unhealthy relationship with it....or use it for it's purpose...to remind you of why you are doing this. If it's up...it means OPEN YOU EYES AND NOT YOUR MOUTH, If it's down...it means GREAT JOB!! KEEP IT UP!
  • hippofabulous
    hippofabulous Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks do much for the input everyone! I think I'll refrain during the day/evening and just step on in the morning to track progress. Admittedly that's going to be hard for me.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I weightlift so Im more of a measurer. Learnt that lesson the hard way......Scales did my head in I was hopping on them twice a day everyday.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Friend.

I also like learning about how my weight fluctuates throughout the day after certain events (eating, exercising, etc)
  • Emporor_Augustus
    Options
    Foe.

The scale lied to me when I was building muscle since it weighs more than fat. I was getting so discouraged when I saw the number didn't change that I completely ignored the inches that were coming off. I suppose it's different for everyone but getting obsessed with the number instead of how you FEEL is probably unhealthy.

Just my thoughts.
  • xBeautifulBreakdown
    xBeautifulBreakdown Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Friend! I weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink anything. If my weight is up it's usually because I cheated the day before. It helps keep me on track. If I dont weigh daily I take an extra bite of food here and an extra one there without tracking and before you know it I am completely off track.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Stepping on it multiple times throughout the day is kind of useless. It's going to go up probably each time you get on it. Use it in the mornings. I weigh every morning, even though everyones like blah blah that's so unhealthy blah blah. Depending on the day...it's my friend or it can be my foe. Lol
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    Foe - I get a greater feeling of self-satisfaction from the way my clothes fit, the longer I can go on the treadmill or the bike, etc. Some stinking number on an electronic scale only discourages me, so I personally choose to weigh in as infrequently as possible.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I jump on the scales at least once a day too. It's just what I do first thing in the morning. I don't let it get me down because I have all day to do what's right.

I'm a numbers person. Which is why I like this site so much. I have a fitbit so I can constantly see my steps and calories burned anytime I want. It's a control issue for me at this point to keep me on track.

I don't think it's a bad thing if you don't let it get to you. I just want to see the number. It's the number on Tues that I log in to keep up with my weight loss.
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    A definite FOE for me which is why im only weighing in ONCE a month now!! :)