I know the secret to running 5km...

Options
....just don't stop....keep going!

I started C25k last October and have loved it....I really really struggled at the beginning, every step of the way...60 seconds, 90 seconds, 2 minutes...then couldn't believe I could actually run 2 minutes.... the sense of achievement all the way has been fantastic. I dreaded each step up but somehow managed to keep up...until the end and i just seem to get stuck on 20 minutes....some days i couldn't even manage quite that and would start walking.....I always did 5km but always one long run and then intervals of walking and running...I did a couple of long ones, 25 minutes....even one 27 minutes which was about 3.2km running....but the elusive 5km seemed a long way out of reach.

Then last week a friend on MFP posted on the newsfeed that she ran for 30 minutes by just deciding to keep going and not stop....she talked about how when she stopped and walked it was always harder to start running the second time...and I completely related to this. So the next morning I just changed the mantra going on in my head...so instead of going "I don't think i can do this", or "only 2 more minutes to 20 minutes"...I just kept repeating over and over "just keep going"....one more step at a time.....and I just kept the rhythm going and next time I looked I was at 4km and then it was easy to just keep going....5kms in 37 minutes....I am very very slow I know.....but hey, I'm 52 and haven't run since I was a teenager!!

The next day I ran for 30 minutes but i didn't do one long run but lots of short intervals to mix it up....had a couple of days off ...and then I did it again!! So I know its not just a one off and now I have to really be strong and keep my head-talk positive....that is what I have found the hardest....as I've gone along and the physical side is improving it is the mental challenge which is proving the most difficult.

I am now working on getting my speed up...but will go slowly and revel in my achievement for a while....and then add some dreaded incline!!

So if I can do it anyone can!!:drinker:

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice! The mental aspect of running is just as important as the physical. I have found that when I have a particular goal set for a training run, I do MUCH better. When I just go run without a goal, I feel like crap!

On improving your speed/pace, I have found running intervals a very effective training tool. I did the "magic mile" once while preparing for a particular 5K where I wanted to set a PR. For three weeks leading up to the 5K, I did five mile training runs where I ran the first two and last two miles at a comfortable pace. The middle mile or "magic mile" I did at my target race pace. I was shooting to finish under 27 minutes for the 5K. I ended up finishing in 25:34!

You can adapt this to a "magic 1/2 mile" or whatever you feel comfortable with! Good luck!
  • Didiandeverytang
    Didiandeverytang Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! You should be very proud of yourself. My friend told me the same thing when I was doing the app, she said she never stops running, she just runs slower and then works on her speed after the fact.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 also and started out running last year after a long break doing nothing. Last year at this time I was running at about the same pace you are now. Last weekend I ran a 5k in 20:10. So, even for us over 50 folks the improvements in running will come if you just keep at it consistently. Good luck.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! I might try this.
  • jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this. Instead of slowing to a walk when I get tired I just slow my pace down. I can run 5k (with a tiny bit of walking) in about 35 minutes now!

Well done you! It's always great when you get to that 'yeah I can push a bit further' stage!
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!!! What's that quote? Running is 90% mental and only 10% physical? Congratulations on having discovered the secret to enjoying and getting better at running!

Run long and don't ever, ever give up :)
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm 52 also and started out running last year after a long break doing nothing. Last year at this time I was running at about the same pace you are now. Last weekend I ran a 5k in 20:10. So, even for us over 50 folks the improvements in running will come if you just keep at it consistently. Good luck.

Wow....20 minutes....that is amazing...congratulations.... if I can ever manage to run 5k in 30 mins I will be thrilled....but I think it is a long way off.

And I totally agree with the 90% mental part of running.... I guess that's why even though it is definitely a hard thing to do i always feel so fantastic afterwards.....the brain enjoys the feeling even if the body doesn't so much!

Glad to hear all the positive comments.... runners seem a very supportive lot (never thought I would be calling myself a runner).
    :drinker:
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Awsome advice. I am on week 9. My pace slow, but now trying to increase my pace. I have set myself an unwritten goal of a local 5k in July if I get to a certain pace. Let's see how I do. We are the same age so you inspire me.
  • ddgilham
    ddgilham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear this morning!!! I am 36 and just signed up for my first 5K. (or I like to say 3 mile..it's a littler number.hehe) I have ALWAYS wanted to run and always stopped..but this time..NO stopping. I am going to do it and I don't care how long it takes me, it's a start and I can only get better!! Now..lets run! hehe
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Lisa: WTG!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing so well and I will use your "mantra" next time I try to run for time. Yesterday was the first time that I had gone "running" in a while and didn't do as well as you did, but did get my 20 minutes in. I think all the time spent downhill skiing helped my "wind" anyway. Keep up the good work! Kackie
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post and basically is exactly my own experience. I'm still not sure if I actually like the running part of running but I love the mental challenge which like you got me from 0 to 5k very quickly.

There are several stages for me including definite "STOP RIGHT NOW" ones, but they don't last long and euphoria takes over around 4.4k because I know I am going to do it.

I then start to plan going further in my head.

Best wishes

PS Can I have your dog!
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful LIsa. I'm inspired to give c25k another try.