Strenght Training. I want to start... any advice?

Options
So I did a bit of research. It's something I'm very interested in. I came across the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, anyone have it? would you recommended it? what were your results? .. I have lost a total of 30 pounds and still have 20 to go and I would like to really tone up as much as I can. Will strenght training help with the mommy pooch?
I have seen some awesome results on here and I'm hoping for the same.
TIA :smile:

Replies

• Koketa0510
    Options
    nothing? :frown:
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do it! It is so much better for your health. However, it also means you will need to start measuring your improvement by something other than numbers on the scale so you don't get discouraged. Muscle weighs more than fat, so it won't seem like you are "losing" as much as you are.

I liked the book, but eventually joined a gym and had a trainer make a routine for me using kettle bells and jungle straps which allow me to work on balance, too.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Short answer is YES! Lifting will help you inn numerous ways. Doing mostly cardio will eat up muscle along with fat. Lifting minimizes that issue due to the nature of the exercise.

Start friending women who lift, and you can draw off of their experiences.
  • omellil
    omellil Posts: 14
    Options
    assuming you have ZERO fitness basis, calisthenics first. like pushups, crunches, squats and lunges, plank, dips, pullups, skip rope...

starting with that sort of thing will "wake your muscles up" - if you just jump into heavy weights right away you'll get super sore because your muscles will go into shock.which is why lots of beginners give up so soon. also, building up a bit of tone through calisthenics will prevent injury when you do move into weight.

i'd say calisthenics for about 4 weeks, 3 days on followed by a day of rest. after that, move into a circuit routine to introduce yourself to weights. do you know what that is?

books are great, read everything, but find someone in your area with some experience to train with. that's the best thing.
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    assuming you have ZERO fitness basis, calisthenics first. like pushups, crunches, squats and lunges, plank, dips, pullups, skip rope...

starting with that sort of thing will "wake your muscles up" - if you just jump into heavy weights right away you'll get super sore because your muscles will go into shock.which is why lots of beginners give up so soon. also, building up a bit of tone through calisthenics will prevent injury when you do move into weight.

i'd say calisthenics for about 4 weeks, 3 days on followed by a day of rest. after that, move into a circuit routine to introduce yourself to weights. do you know what that is?

books are great, read everything, but find someone in your area with some experience to train with. that's the best thing.

I've done Jillians Michaels, 30DS, Ripped and 6week 6pack... does that count?
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    Do it! It is so much better for your health. However, it also means you will need to start measuring your improvement by something other than numbers on the scale so you don't get discouraged. Muscle weighs more than fat, so it won't seem like you are "losing" as much as you are.

I liked the book, but eventually joined a gym and had a trainer make a routine for me using kettle bells and jungle straps which allow me to work on balance, too.

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of that. I started doing Jillians 30DS for a month and only lost like 2pds but lost a total of 6inches from chest, waist and thighs :)
  • omellil
    Options

if you did it recently and it was a full body workout, then probably it counts, but if it's just abs (or mostly abs) then totally it does not. and recently, like, if you did it in dec/jan, it doesn't count. sorry :(
  • omellil
    Options

if you did it recently and it was a full body workout, then probably it counts, but if it's just abs (or mostly abs) then totally it does not. and recently, like, if you did it in dec/jan, it doesn't count. sorry :(

it sounds like you're really motivated, reading and trying new things, that's the most important thing. just stay with it, and do what you feel sorks for you, and be patient, and you'll get there ;)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, try getting hold of one of the trainers at the gym (most gyms offer an hour or so of free training too btw, check it out!). They will show you the basics in the first round and possibly workout a plan for you to increase your reps and intensity. Like the poster above said, start out with the basics. Pushing, squats, lunges all that jazz! These, if done right are no joke and can alone last you for a long time. Eventually you will ofcourse wanna move on to weight lifting (I would say after about a month or so of basic training to get you used to it?).

One very very important thing to remember is your nutrition. Please donot ignore calories. You will burn alot of calories and you should fuel your body properly. Eat like a pig, burn like a stud!

Checkout this link

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Koketa0510
    Options

it sounds like you're really motivated, reading and trying new things, that's the most important thing. just stay with it, and do what you feel sorks for you, and be patient, and you'll get there ;)

I have been doing the workouts since May. I alternate between dvds. I also do cardio at least 20 mins a day 2 -3 times a week.
    My main goal will always be to lose my mommy pooch but I don't we can't spot reduce. In total I have lost 15inches and 30pds and I'm somewhat stuck on a plateu right now. I have changed my way of eating too, trying for a more clean diet.
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    If you can afford it, try getting hold of one of the trainers at the gym (most gyms offer an hour or so of free training too btw, check it out!). They will show you the basics in the first round and possibly workout a plan for you to increase your reps and intensity. Like the poster above said, start out with the basics. Pushing, squats, lunges all that jazz! These, if done right are no joke and can alone last you for a long time. Eventually you will ofcourse wanna move on to weight lifting (I would say after about a month or so of basic training to get you used to it?).

One very very important thing to remember is your nutrition. Please donot ignore calories. You will burn alot of calories and you should fuel your body properly. Eat like a pig, burn like a stud!

Checkout this link

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I have seen that link before. It's the one that got me very interested in lifting.:smile:
  • Koketa0510
    Options

I have been doing the workouts since May. I alternate between dvds. I also do cardio at least 20 mins a day 2 -3 times a week.
    My main goal will always be to lose my mommy pooch but I know we can't spot reduce. In total I have lost 15inches and 30pds and I'm somewhat stuck on a plateu right now. I have changed my way of eating too, trying for a more clean diet.

Edited because apparently I can't spell -___-.
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    shameless bump :blushing:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym?

New Rules is a great book. Good for introducing women to weight lifting. The nutrition section contains a little bit of "broscience" (eat 6 times a day, protein based on percentage of diet instead of overall minimum). I wasn't a big fan of the workouts past stage one but a lot of people are.

I like basic, simple, non-changing, the big compound lifts. I've just started Strong Lifts 5x5.

Whichever program you chose make sure you pay really close attention to your form. Watch videos, have someone check you if you can (a trainer or a lifting friend), or have someone take a video and have the people here check it. It's important to get form correct on the big lifts while you are still doing lighter weights. You could hurt yourself as you move up.
  • Koketa0510
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym?

New Rules is a great book. Good for introducing women to weight lifting. The nutrition section contains a little bit of "broscience" (eat 6 times a day, protein based on percentage of diet instead of overall minimum). I wasn't a big fan of the workouts past stage one but a lot of people are.

I like basic, simple, non-changing, the big compound lifts. I've just started Strong Lifts 5x5.

Whichever program you chose make sure you pay really close attention to your form. Watch videos, have someone check you if you can (a trainer or a lifting friend), or have someone take a video and have the people here check it. It's important to get form correct on the big lifts while you are still doing lighter weights. You could hurt yourself as you move up.

No access to gym :frown: I started youtubing videos and seem some great ones out there.
    I have my own small gym set up. It's tiny but I have weights and might needs to invest in some kettleballs.
    I notice some lifters wear some kind of brace for their back as they lift... what are they called??
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love this website for lifting info: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/dork_to_diva