Try this workout. Tell us what you think!

Options
http://pinterest.com/pin/85498092895907640/
Try it. Honestly. It's only 4 minutes.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Tabata Protocol. Key here is that it HAS to be 100% FULL EFFORT for it to be fully effective. If the effort is not 100%, then results will reflect actual effort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Thats just a short HIIT session right?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I do a similar workout for my warmup.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Sorry but not buying it. If you ask the girl in the picture, I can bet you she will tell you that she did about 20 reps of it to get to that shape. Its a good workout but only for 4 minutes wont take you far imo
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said. I do both HIIT and regular intervals regularly. About once a month I try a Tabata. It wipes me out before I even get through the full 4 minutes. I think the longest I've gone is about 3 minutes. It's intense. I just want to get to the point where I can actually do it correctly. That would be a little fitness victory, imho.

I think doing the Tabata would be great for days where, due to severe time constraints, you just can't get in a longer workout. But I'm not convinced it would or should ever replace longer sessions.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

If you're doing that for a warm-up and then do a workout after, sorry, but you're not doing a Tabata.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Do you do this workout? Does it work for you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Sorry but not buying it. If you ask the girl in the picture, I can bet you she will tell you that she did about 20 reps of it to get to that shape. Its a good workout but only for 4 minutes wont take you far imo
    If done correctly, it will raise your VO2 max quite a bit if you did it for 6 weeks, 2 times a week. But most people can't get past 2 minutes without gassing out if they did it 100%. trying it the first time.

IDEA Fitness member
  • brentsblog
    brentsblog Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Burns as many calories as a 40-60 minute run I don't think so. When i do a 40 minute run id burn 700 calories according to my heart rate monitor although that isn't entirely accurate it is a good indication of how many calories you are burning.

So with that 4 minute workout I can burn 500 calories I don't think so.

Seriously 4 minutes what a joke the workout might be good to incorporate into your workout but there is no way I would settle for that 4 minutes very misleading.
  • brentsblog
    brentsblog Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That program reminds me of that bull**** 6 minute abs

then some moron brings out 5 minute abs and so on.

All misleading.
  • kirbztar
    kirbztar Posts: 2
    Options
    Is there a link at all to this workout thats in video form?? Would love to try it :)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that you can do something even if you do not have an hour or three spare to go down the gym or for a long run/bike ride etc.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Tabata Protocol. Key here is that it HAS to be 100% FULL EFFORT for it to be fully effective. If the effort is not 100%, then results will reflect actual effort.

IDEA Fitness member
    This...and best way to go anaerobic well and truly is either sprint running or sprinting on a bike absolute dying max effort heart feels like it's ready to jump out of your chest!
    It's also one of the ones they advise you to see your GP about if you're not doing regular vigorous physical activity.... I use a tabata timer app for many different moves... I like it for max effort burpees, jack knife crunches, bicycle crunches etc... but to be used for what it was intended... you should be going anaerobic and not performing the exercises aerobically.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Burns as many calories as a 40-60 minute run I don't think so. When i do a 40 minute run id burn 700 calories according to my heart rate monitor although that isn't entirely accurate it is a good indication of how many calories you are burning.

Seriously 4 minutes what a joke the workout might be good to incorporate into your workout but there is no way I would settle for that 4 minutes very misleading.

Only when done for 40 minutes... the point is that it burns calories at nearly the same rate as running, which is great if you don't like running.

The key benefits of this workout is that you can break it up throughout the day and it really develops your anaerobic system and technically, so long as you work hard enough, you can do it to any exercise.

I use it in conjunction with an aerobic conditioning program ( I run middle distance and I cycle) and also in conjunction with strength training, albeit it has been proven to help with fitness if just performed once a day. THIS does not mean that you get the equivalent benefit of calorie burn!

The 4 minutes a day has been proven to get some people fit. A famous UK medical proper Doctor, not a quack, did some research and a documentary on it (michael moseley) and he DID see a noticeable difference and he was just confirming a previous study.

If you're looking to get your heart fit and don't care about the calories because you control them in diet, then this is ideal for someone who has very little time to go do long stints out and about running/exercising and going to he gym in general. Combine with just being a little more active/moving more, and you're on your way to getting healthy. You may be no super athlete as a result but you should be getting healthier for sure.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That program reminds me of that bull**** 6 minute abs

then some moron brings out 5 minute abs and so on.

All misleading.

Genius. I'm going to invent 3 minute Tabata!
  • RAFValentina
    Options

If you're doing that for a warm-up and then do a workout after, sorry, but you're not doing a Tabata.

This... although You can do a single Tabata (4 mins) and then recover for a few minutes (because you will be knackered, huffing and puffing after a tabata as is hardcore anaerobic work!) and do an aerobic workout or weights circuit pretty easily after...

However, am sure Tabata is best when done for like 3-8 rounds of it...the fitter you get the more you should be able to do as your anaerobic threshold/Endurance, aerobic endurance and VO2max increase....
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Im going to do it in the mornings when I get up to get my heart pumping!! Why not. I wont be logging it as any exercise tho x
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Bump. No time right now, but would like to look at this later
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Tabata_Method

I agree that it probably doesn't burn the same number of calories as an hour run, but it is a beneficial workout paradigm.