Replies

• Supernikki
    Supernikki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 tamales tonight, and feeling really lame
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The last two (maybe even three?) weeks of my life.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    lol@2500 cal binge

5k, without much trouble. With home cooked meal.
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    5000cal! :O I'm pretty sure i would die if i ate that much. Maybe im too hard on myself.
    Thanks for your responses!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'd say a binge has less to do with how many calories are consumed and more to do with how in control you are. I have days when I eat way over my calories but it's planned (e.g. a meal out or party) or otherwise I count treats into my weekly amount.
    I haven't had a true binge since starting my weight loss.
    I used to binge before and it's definitely different from what I do now because I was way out of control and not even noticing what I was eating half the time. It would lead to another day... and another and so on because I felt like crap afterwards.
    Now it's more like I will go out and eat what I like on occasion, but I don't beat myself up and I'm right back on track when it's over.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It's sort of hard to define, I would say a binge involves going well and above your maintenance calories, but I think binging is this sort of unplanned impulsive activity that you feel like you don't have a lot of control over. I could sit down to a 3000 calorie meal and not binge because I have planned it and that is what I want, when I am finished eating that's it. OR I could eat only 600 calories of food and feel like I've "binged" (eg a large bag of chips when I only meant to have a handful). To me, a binge is where you feel like you've eaten beyond feeling full to the point of sickness.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    2500? Good lord. What's that a large cookie and a few beers above maintenance for a sedentary female?

1500 above maintenance is probably a big day. Eating out twice and several alcoholic drinks. I wouldn't exactly call it a binge though, that's a term I'd more characterise with losing the plot and eating everything in the kitchen.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    A binge shouldn't be a calorie figure... its really dependent on you.

If I go all week doing well, then bam my Mom made cinnamon rolls and even though I can't fit it into my calories... I eat one or the whole tray! Doesn't matter! I technically binged on jelly beans last week. I kept grabbing handfuls and felt like I had no control... I kept making excuses... a few more wont hurt...

Thats a binge.
  • michael300891
    Options
    A Dominos pizza =)
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    my definition of a binge is unbridled gluttony
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've got binge eating disorder and it is not uncommon for me to consume 6,000 calories in a day. I'm working on fixing it in therapy. Some days it's really bad....and a 6,000 calorie day is my worst I've had.
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I binge, I eat until I can't stand up straight, sometimes I involuntarily throw up. Its when I keep eating even though I feel sick, and nothing can stop me. I never know how many calories it is, but its the most horrible feeling in the world. I cant really put a number on it...
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A Dominos pizza =)

agreed.....this where i fail, large pepperoni.....mmmmmm
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think its definitely more about control than the number. I've had times when its only 500 - 1000 cals but its more about struggling with myself not to eat it but just not being able to stop myself from eating it. Don't be too hard with yourself just forget about it and start again.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    ok I will lay down what a typical sunday night meal would look like for me (5 feet 9 inches male). I would not consider this a binge

- Qdoba Quesadilla: 690 calories
    -Qdoba gumbo: 870 calories
    - Qdoba check quesdo burrito- 970 calories
    -walmart cheesecake sampler: 2240 calories total. I would most likely eat atleast 6/8 slices so 1680 calories minimum
    - Jones icecream soda: 160*2= 320

Total: 4530 calories. This was a typical Sunday night dinner (lunch and breakfast were another story altogether) for me. Please keep in mind that the calories I entered donot include the extra cheese, extra meat, salsa chips and stuff that I used to regular ask for.

The worst part is, this wasnt even one of my biggest meals...Heck a pizza night could easily beat that. A day when I'd cook Biryani at home would beat that...I'm feeling disgusted just putting this here and by god I hope I never get back to that lifestyle
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'd say a binge has less to do with how many calories are consumed and more to do with how in control you are.

I think this is very well put. I've been out of control for a few days now (200ish kcal over) and today was the first time I actually even considered not bothering to log!

Have planned my dinners now for the next two weeks so back in the driving seat come morning. x
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'd say a binge has less to do with how many calories are consumed and more to do with how in control you are. I have days when I eat way over my calories but it's planned (e.g. a meal out or party) or otherwise I count treats into my weekly amount.
    I haven't had a true binge since starting my weight loss.
    I used to binge before and it's definitely different from what I do now because I was way out of control and not even noticing what I was eating half the time. It would lead to another day... and another and so on because I felt like crap afterwards.
    Now it's more like I will go out and eat what I like on occasion, but I don't beat myself up and I'm right back on track when it's over.

This is a great answer and a great attitude to have.

I used to actively choose to really overeat in a really self destructive, negative way. If I planned on buying one thing, say chocolate, I would also buy chips and lollies and them all until I felt really sick. Now I don't need to, so although some days I am over my calories, it has been a calm and rational decision and not self destructive.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eating a whole bag of Cheese Doodles because I wanted something salty after I ate the bag of Chocolate Chips.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with the type or quantity of food and everything to do with feeling out of control. I have had various forms of eating disorders for over 15 years so I know what I'm talking about where it concerns this topic :) A lot of people in my experience use the term to loosely to refer to patterns of overeating junk food which is totally incorrect usage. You could have something as small as an extra tablespoon of mayo and it be a binge. There is also some researchers who refer to subjective and objective binging where the latter is more planned out.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I used to be a obsessive, binge eater until I got therapy (cognitive behavior, physchology and group therapy mixed with seeing a nutritionist). I haven't binged in over a year now. (YAY!) Binging, for me, was eating until I was sick, voluntarily or involuntarily. It didn't have to do with calories in the least, it had to do with eating anything (not necessarily junk all the time) until I was miserable.