Scared to up my calories..

Emabo
Emabo Posts: 125 Member
hi everybody! I am starting P90x today and I am also planning to do some other cardio workouts throughout the day. I currently eat 1200-1400 a day, but since I heard upping can increase weight loss I thought I would try it now since I will be burning lots of calories! Should I do this? I was thinking around 1750 a day.. I am kind of nervous about gaining weight because of it..

I am 5'0.5 and weigh 120.

Replies

• Are you five feet five inches tall or five feet tall?
  • Emabo
    Five foot and a half an inch.. sorry, I usually just like to include the 0.5 so I feel taller.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Just log your workouts and eat back the calories you work out. I have mine set at 1350 and I usually eat closer to 1900 a day.

My height is the same as yours (5 ft and a half inch :) ) and I weigh 113 lbs (120 when I started eating/working out like this middle of February)
  • Emabo
    I will probably just try that, thanks!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Just log your workouts and eat back the calories you work out. I have mine set at 1350 and I usually eat closer to 1900 a day.

My height is the same as yours (5 ft and a half inch :) ) and I weigh 113 lbs (120 when I started eating/working out like this middle of February)

this, definitely the best way is to track your exercise and eat closer to the calories that get added in. good luck!!!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    You could try just eating half of your exercise calories back.
  • babipari
    babipari Posts: 18
    I try to keep my calories under 1000 a day, makes them easier to burn away :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member

Seriously?
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member

Seriously?
    ha iwould lose my mind!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Start with eating back some of your exercise calories....and listen to your body. If you feel carppy and tired, than up them more. You plan on doing a lot of exercise, so you need to fuel yourself properly. But you don't want to start out by overeating and feel all bloated and ick.

I eat about 1/2 of mine back...some days more, some less depending on how I feel and give myself a spike day on Saturdays ( I do long runs on Sunday).

It might take a week or 2 for your body to get used to the more intense exercise and extra calories, so if you gain a little weight, don't worry...give your body time to adjust before you adjust your calories.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member

Seriously?

Definitely unhealthy!
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202

*Facepalm* :noway:
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    I was terrified of upping mine from 1200 but bit the bullet and upped them saturday night so sunday i started eating 1360 calories and guess what...got on the scales yesterday and i'd lost 2lbs! That's my first bit of weight lost in weeks :) yesterday i earnt almost 500 calories back from exercise - was scared silly of what would happen if i ate them all but i ate most of them because thats what i'm supposed to do! guess i'll find out if it was worth it next monday :)

Reassess your settings - if you're more active now than when you joined you probably should up them anyway :)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Just got this great podcast about eating exercise calories, very informative: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/media/podcasts/f2f141.mp3
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member

will also put you in a plateau that is hard to shift! NO ONE should eat less than 1200!