Benefits of coconut milk/ silk?

Options
giag09
giag09 Posts: 203 Member
I wanted to use an alternative to my skim milk in my protein smoothies... What r the benefits of coconut milk/ silk

Replies

• katiejoycecross
    katiejoycecross Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink both, but Soy milk will have more protein where Coconut milk has more healthy fats. The silk light vanilla is my favorite because it has a little bit more flavor without the calories than soy milk, but soy milk is a little creamier. I'd suggest get one of each and see what you like better!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I went with unsweetened almond milk (vanilla) over coconut milk. I drink coconut water though. I think the less 'sweet' the better with a milk choice because you'll probably add sugar somehow to the smoothie (i.e., fruit). Probably also a matter of preference...I'm not a fan of how soy tastes in my smoothie!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    This is a funny topic in our house. If only you could see our fridge.

My son (age 4) drinks cow milk.
    My husband prefers the taste of cocunut milk.
    I prefer the taste of almond milk.
    We drink soy milk because it has more protein than the last 2, but no cholesterol.

There is always a buffet of milk in our house. LOL.

I know that's not helpful, sorry... just wanted to share. :)
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Some of those have more cals than even 1% milk... So, if someone is watching cals, what's the benefit?
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    This is a funny topic in our house. If only you could see our fridge.

My son (age 4) drinks cow milk.
    My husband prefers the taste of cocunut milk.
    I prefer the taste of almond milk.
    We drink soy milk because it has more protein than the last 2, but no cholesterol.

There is always a buffet of milk in our house. LOL.

I know that's not helpful, sorry... just wanted to share. :)

This sounds an awful lot like my fridge! Although most of my choices are for my daycare kids lol Right now I have cows milk for my fiance and son, soy and coconut for myself and one of the daycare kids (we both like 50/50 mixture of both), and rice milk for another child. I like them all other than cows milk. And they all have their benefits. But my fave is a 50/50 combo of soy and coconut milk, especially in smoothies
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Almond and soy are cholesterol free which is a consideration if you have a family history of heart disease. I don't llike the taste of soy. I use Almond milk in oatmeal and smoothies. I belileve one cup of Almond has 90 cals which is lower than one cup of 1%.