fruit and weight loss or non weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bananas are great! :love:

Per 100g banana, there is only 95 calories and less than half a gram of fat! As a bonus it will provide 17mg calcium, 78mcg carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and around 88mg of potassium, an essential nutrient. :smile:
    also
    They contain natural sugars for sustained energy, very important for exercise, plus a satisfying amount of fiber, in approximately 100 calories. They're rich in vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose levels and keeps your moods at an even keel. They're also a good source of potassium, which helps to enhance alertness, prevent muscle fatigue, and control high blood pressure. And bananas are available fresh year-round, so they're never out of season. In addition, they come in their own package, making them easy to take with you or stick in a kid's backpack. This tasty tropical fruit has other benefits, too. Bananas are rich in tryptophan, the amino acid that helps your body make serotonin, the neurotransmitter associated with relief from depression, anxiety and sleep disorders.
    :bigsmile:

I :heart: this

Brilliant :)
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    And good at preventing bowel cancer apparently, so definite health benefits despite the sugar.
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am really confused whether to include bananas in my diet anymore due to high sugar content!!

Maybe I'm a banana addict but while they're a little high in sugars they're full of potassium.........http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/potassium-000320.htm

and good at preventing bowel cancer apparently, so definite health benefits despite the sugar.
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If your training harder your more then likely putting weight on due to muscle growth, but losing fat at the same time. Try and limit the high sugar fruits to the few hrs after intense exercise.

You don't build that much muscle in two weeks. However, your muscles retain water, which causes the scale to slow down or stall.

You won't actually build "any" muscle in a calorie deficit diet. With hard work and getting your diet exactly right you can maintain most muscle keeping your metabolism steady and therefore fat burning at it's maximum. This is why weight training should be an important part of all weight loss regimes.

Fruit is not bad, but high level of fructose/carbs can have a negative effect on individual weight loss. However, this be the reason should only be considered once the more obvious factors had been looked at such as simple calories in/out and whether you are getting the most out of your exercising.

best wishes
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Apparently bananas, cherries and grapes aren't great foods for dieters... maybe stick to other fruits that aren't as sweet.

I beg to differ. I eat bananas everyday and cherries probably 5 times a week and they'e never caused any problem with losing weight for me. Everyone is totally different.

I'm so happy to hear this cos these threads can be so confusing! I've been trying to up my fruit intake, apples, oranges, bananas
    and strawberries. How can these be bad for weight loss?

I'm not keen on cherreis but love the rest and usually eat one of them each day and still losing. I thought there was an apple diet so how can they be bad for you or hinder weight loss?
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If your training harder your more then likely putting weight on due to muscle growth, but losing fat at the same time. Try and limit the high sugar fruits to the few hrs after intense exercise.

You don't build that much muscle in two weeks. However, your muscles retain water, which causes the scale to slow down or stall.

If you are hitting the gym more then eat high sugar fruits prior to workout to give you energy and you will burn the sugar carbs in the process. eating them after workout can be beneficial too though as your body needs the carbs afterwards to have the energy to repair muscle. This is why every meal you eat should be carbohydrate based. If you are trying to loose weight then eat fruits before workout to burn the carbs then have high protein meals during the day with a carb portion which is low sugar e.g. wholemeal bread, pasta, wholegrain rice, sweet potato ect. Any yes, your muscle does retain water, it needs the oxygen from the watre to aid muscle growth and recovery! these are all factors which should be considered.

But in the end to be fair, fruit isnt bad for you...chocolate and candy is! (: