Serving Size????

Options
A lot of the recipes and calorie counters say a "serving size" affords you so many calories. How do you know exactly how much a "serving size" is. I'm sure what I deem a serving size is not an accurate amount. :)

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    "Serving size" should include an amount in cups, ounces or grams...that should be all of the info you need. And using a food scale will help you tremendously with that, too. Good luck! :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Some people input their own version of "serving size" and made it public (confusing I know). If it looks too good to be true, its probably a mistake.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the food database is made up of MFP member input. When they enter incomplete info, like the serving size measurement, we are left to guess how much a serving size really is. To those who post food info on MFP: Sometimes it helps to post the serving size in the title itself.

Try to find a closely related item to what you ate, it may have the complete data on serving sizes.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    evoen wrote:
    ... it helps to post the serving size in the title ....

Yes! That helps a lot.
  • LetterboxingMoose
    LetterboxingMoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have only been using this site for about 10 day. I am finding a lot of incorrect serving sizes on the foods that I am recording. I have to compare the nutritional information on the side of each package. Does anyone know of a way to change the incorrect information? I have been adding the correct information and duplicating foods. (One food was listed 4 times and all were incorrect!) I have also noticed that some foods say that they have been confirmed as correct. Can anyone tell me how to confirm a food? Is it automatically confirmed when someone uses it? Is there a way to say it is not correct?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I always work out the serving size myself by weighing the food before/after it's been cooked as appropriate. I find there is no other accurate way. My kitchen scales don't give me incorrect calorie estimates.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    For those that may be incorrect for what you're eating they may be correct for what the poster had entered. Different countries have different nutrional information for the same foods... weird I know!

Depending on what it is you can usually find what a serving size should be. Always go by what it says on the package of what you're eating when you can.

If not, check out calorie king or google to get your information to enter. Or at least to be able to find out how much is in a serving.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Different countries have different nutrional information for the same foods... weird I know!

This is definitely true - I'm in America a lot because my brother lives there, and foods in the supermarkets there often have more sugar/salt/fat/calories in than the exact same items do here in the UK. Why, I don't know!