protein shakes as meal substitutes..

Options
Hello.. I am new at this.. but I was wondering if anyone uses the protein shakes as meal substitute and if so .. What results have you got and How many meals do you subsitute ? Whats a good protein supplement out there that is tasteful and affordable? I started doing the slim fast protein shakes and I actually lost weight but ran out of them.. was wondering if it was more affordable to get a big tub of some sort and an actual weightloss routine.. can anyone offer some assistance??

Replies

• jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Not very satiating unless you start adding fruit, oatmeal, peanut butter, shot of olive oil and then it can become a meal...but personally I would stay with whole foods and only use protein shakes as a supplement when you are unable to meet your daily protein requirements.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think its best to eat 'real' food with a mild deficit, and only use supplements to supplement missing nutrients.

Plus, I think I would get the ****s drinking that many protein shakes.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Protein shakes are designed as supplements to your diet. Keep track of everything you eat as there is no real substitute for food, then, see what you need to complete you nutrient goals. Just added protein shakes for the sake of it could be wasting money if you are already consuming your required amount.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    I have found that substituting one of your big 3 a day (Breakfast, dinner, tea) just isn't worth it, you will feel hungry and grouchy. If however you are disciplined enough and organised enough to be eating 6 small meals a day you could substitute up too 2 of these meals with a protein shake. If you do this combined with a healthy diet and enough exercise you will feel yourself becoming leaner and meaner!
  • Rhondaburgan
    Options
    Thanks.. I will keep that in mind.. Some days are better than others.. but I thought if i cut one meal out .. I would do better at managing the calories .. I would not substitute every meal.. That would be bad... and I love food too much to do that anyways LOL
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat my calories.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    I have found that substituting one of your big 3 a day (Breakfast, dinner, tea) just isn't worth it, you will feel hungry and grouchy. If however you are disciplined enough and organised enough to be eating 6 small meals a day you could substitute up too 2 of these meals with a protein shake. If you do this combined with a healthy diet and enough exercise you will feel yourself becoming leaner and meaner!

I should add I weight train which is why I do this but im pretty sure some dieters go for the smaller meals to boost metabolism and burn fat, am I right?
  • rdavenp3
    rdavenp3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes as one of my meals on days where I know I'll need one to get my calorie intake for the day, but I add fruit to them so it'll stick in my stomach for a while, otherwise I'm hungry again too quickly.
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options

I should add I weight train which is why I do this but im pretty sure some dieters go for the smaller meals to boost metabolism and burn fat, am I right?

Meal frequency is irrelevant...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for dinner sometimes, milk, choc protein, pb, and a banana. It works for me.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options

Meal frequency is irrelevant...

Haha yea good one. Meal frequency offers many benefits, from eating regularly to intermittently fasting. Learn your stuff before you post.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Haha yea good one. Meal frequency offers many benefits, from eating regularly to intermittently fasting. Learn your stuff before you post.

Not to put words in his mouth but he meant that meal frequency does not boost metabolism since that's what he was refuting with that statement, and he is absolutely correct.

Meal frequency is entirely personal preference as it pertains to thermogenic effect. It absolutely can effect performance/mood/etc.
  • Samanthasteinagle26
    Samanthasteinagle26 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always start my morning with a protein shake with a banana in it. It keeps me full and chocolate protein is yummy.
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    what about Shakeology?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You've just joined, so this is new for you. Many people here on My Fitness Pal (MFP) are looking to make "lifestyle" changes, as opposed to "dieting."

A "lifestyle" change is something you will use to maintain a healthy weight ....... AFTER you have met your weight loss goal. Think of a "diet" is a temporary fix, or a project. Once you are done with your weight loss "project," then you will have to learn how to keep the weight off. You can't just go back and eat "normally," the weight just comes back. "Lifestyle" changes help you learn how to keep weight off.

Tweak your current eating plan, make small changes here & there. Don't try to change everything all at once.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options

Not to put words in his mouth but he meant that meal frequency does not boost metabolism since that's what he was refuting with that statement, and he is absolutely correct.

Meal frequency is entirely personal preference as it pertains to thermogenic effect. It absolutely can effect performance/mood/etc.

Thermogenesis increases after eating and is a direct extension of your Basal Metabolic Rate. Hence eating little and often boosts your metabolism.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i have a protein shake for breakfast. i wouldnt usually eat breakfast, but then id snack all morning. ive found it extremely helpful
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Thermogenesis increases after eating and is a direct extension of your Basal Metabolic Rate. Hence eating little and often boosts your metabolism.

This is false. Thermic effect increases based on caloric total and macronutrient composition. Please see here for a good explanation of why this is frequency independent. Myth #1, explained in detail.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

EDIT: Lyle's take on it:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Edit:
    Peer reviewed study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Steve Troutman's take:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#frequency

I would very much recommend that you read the above information. These are very solid sources and it might help to clear things up a bit.

Good luck!
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options

This is false. Thermic effect increases based on caloric total and macronutrient composition. Please see here for a good explanation of why this is frequency independent. Myth #1, explained in detail.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

EDIT: Lyle's take on it:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Edit:
    Peer reviewed study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Steve Troutman's take:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#frequency

I would very much recommend that you read the above information. These are very solid sources and it might help to clear things up a bit.

Good luck!

The very basic point you are refuting here is that eating increases metabolism..... Even your references agree that eating increases your metabolism they just debate the significance of the increase in TEF from MF. I think the crux of it is you have to find a groove that suits you and go with it. Lets face it a healthy balanced diet is still the way forward for most people who have real life commitments. Good luck!
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hello.. I am new at this.. but I was wondering if anyone uses the protein shakes as meal substitute and if so .. What results have you got and How many meals do you subsitute ? Whats a good protein supplement out there that is tasteful and affordable? I started doing the slim fast protein shakes and I actually lost weight but ran out of them.. was wondering if it was more affordable to get a big tub of some sort and an actual weightloss routine.. can anyone offer some assistance??

The Atkins Advantage Chocolate shake is nice, I mix it with 300ml of unsweetened soya milk. I have it for breakfast and its really filling, low on sugar and carbs!!